Ordaining within Gelug

Stephen18

Ordaining within Gelug

Post by Stephen18 »

What is the procedure if one wanted to ordain as a Gelug monk? What must one know beforehand? Where could one ordain?

Thank you!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Ordaining within Gelug

Post by Ayu »

Stiphan wrote:What is the procedure if one wanted to ordain as a Gelug monk? What must one know beforehand? Where could one ordain?

Thank you!
I think, a Gelug lama is needed (a personal teacher) who advises the person that wants to ordain.
Stephen18

Post by Stephen18 »

Ayu wrote:
Stiphan wrote:What is the procedure if one wanted to ordain as a Gelug monk? What must one know beforehand? Where could one ordain?

Thank you!
I think, a Gelug lama is needed (a personal teacher) who advises the person that wants to ordain.
Thank you. How do I go about finding such a teacher? Just pop in a Jamyang centre and ask to be taught personally?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Stiphan wrote:Thank you. How do I go about finding such a teacher? Just pop in a Jamyang centre and ask to be taught personally?
You need to meet a monk and spend time as their student, for example if you meet Geshe Tashi in Leeds in September, then you can request refuge, once you've taken refuge you speak to him about ordaining.

Do you know where you'd stay as a monk?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Following up on the other posters, here is a list of FPMT (Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahyana Tradition, these are centers that take Lama Zopa Rinpoche and HH Dalai Lama as their gurus) in the UK.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Hi Stiphan,

We share similar aspirations as I am in the process of preparing for ordination.
A friend of mine has been an ordained monastic in a Gelug monastery in southern Europe for the past 14 years and is well informed on the subject of ordination.
If you would care to exchange thoughts on this matter then please let me know.
I hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Cyrus
'If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.'
— Nikola Tesla
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Probably the best institutional support for ordained Gelug sangha in the west are FPMT at their monasteries and nunneries, and Sravasti Abbey. Here are some of their resources for those interested in ordaining:
FPMT's International Mahayana Institute Sangha organisation.
Sravasti Abbey Ven. Thubten Chodron's Preparing for Ordination booklet.
mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha »

If one is considering monastic life, one should be a fervent student first, spending many years understanding and living as a lay person in the tradition they are thinking of committing their life to. It's not an easy decision and should be well established in Dharma practice before even thinking about monasticism.

Return to “Gelug”