Death of Ven Geshe Damcho Yonten

Mantrik
Former staff member

Death of Ven Geshe Damcho Yonten

Post by Mantrik »

I am sad to report the death of Geshe Damcho Yonten, whose Lam Rim organisation in the UK was very helpful to me after I was able to leave a harmful cult.

I am also sorry I did not realise earlier that he had died, as we had not kept in touch very frequently.

From the Lam Rim organisation:

''On Saturday 26th August at Lam Rim Buddhist Centre, Penrhos, Raglan, our Spiritual Director, the Venerable Geshe Damcho Yonten gently passed away at 6.50pm at the age of 87 after a short illness. His funeral took place on Friday 15th September at 12.30pm at The Forest of Dean Crematorium.

We are dedicated to continuing the centre in accordance with Ven Geshe Damcho Yonten's wishes, the wishes of our patron, HE Ganden Trisur Rizong Sras Rinpoche, and the wishes and guidance of our ever-kind teacher, His Holiness, 14th Dalai Lama.''
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Bristollad

Re: Death of Ven Geshe Damcho Yonten

Post by Bristollad »

For me, Geshe Damcho-la was my first teacher. Through him and the Centre, I met many incredible teachers whilst still just a teenager in the '80s. I've also heard that he was very supportive of the London FPMT centre when it was just getting started. Also, the first geshe there in London, Geshe Namgyal Wangchen and Geshe Damcho, were both from Drepung Loseling and were good friends. I remember Geshe Wangchen translating for Khensur Pema Gyaltsen Rinpoche when he visited Lam Rim.

When I was 18, I asked Geshe Damcho if I could ordain and he scared me thoroughly by asking me if I meant right now. I chickened out and replied that maybe waiting a few years would be better, and he smiled and agreed. KInd and compassionate, astute judge of character but not judgemental, gentle and disciplined, he remains for me the pattern for "teacher".
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Bristollad wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:18 pm For me, Geshe Damcho-la was my first teacher. Through him and the Centre, I met many incredible teachers whilst still just a teenager in the '80s. I've also heard that he was very supportive of the London FPMT centre when it was just getting started. Also, the first geshe there in London, Geshe Namgyal Wangchen and Geshe Damcho, were both from Drepung Loseling and were good friends. I remember Geshe Wangchen translating for Khensur Pema Gyaltsen Rinpoche when he visited Lam Rim.

When I was 18, I asked Geshe Damcho if I could ordain and he scared me thoroughly by asking me if I meant right now. I chickened out and replied that maybe waiting a few years would be better, and he smiled and agreed. KInd and compassionate, astute judge of character but not judgemental, gentle and disciplined, he remains for me the pattern for "teacher".
I'm very out of touch but hope Geshe Thinley is still around and will continue the good work.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I’m saddened to hear of his death. I never had the fortune to take teachings from him, but I have heard from people who have studied under him how great of a teacher he was, I have also heard how he was supportive of the London FPMT centre.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Gelug”