On and Off the cushion...

Justmeagain

On and Off the cushion...

Post by Justmeagain »

Hi,

I enjoy my morning practice. Its often a time when I feel closer to the guru and also experience a real sense of perspective with regards to life in general. When I sit, the Dharma seems to envelope my life and everything in it rather than the Dharma being a part of my life. However, almost as soon as I am off the cushion and in the kitchen making a coffee….all the fear, existential dread and all the other $hit returns and there I am almost back into the same state as I was before sitting.

Does anyone else struggle with this?

:namaste:
MatthewAngby

Re: On and Off the cushion...

Post by MatthewAngby »

Yes I do. However sometimes I would try to think like this - may all sentient beings be free from suffering
,have happeniess
Become a Buddha

Then in a way, in that specific time , I become compassionate , which then brings me back to the feeling of peace and “Buddhist feeling “ again. So, in that moment , the fear in me kinda sleeps.
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I’d say, maybe stop expecting a change, then a change might come. (But if you set it up in such a way as to hope for it, then it’s expecting something.) If you can actually just do the session, then you’ve done something. I know that then sometimes all the old stuff comes up again and again - hey that’s life. That’s what us sentient beings have to deal with. At least you’re dealing with it! One teacher said once ‘the solution is in the problem’. In other words, really see what it is that’s coming up, without trying to change it, run away from it, or justify it. Watch it the same way you watch thoughts and breaths when on the cushion. That might help.

'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Zafutales wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm Hi,

I enjoy my morning practice. Its often a time when I feel closer to the guru and also experience a real sense of perspective with regards to life in general. When I sit, the Dharma seems to envelope my life and everything in it rather than the Dharma being a part of my life. However, almost as soon as I am off the cushion and in the kitchen making a coffee….all the fear, existential dread and all the other $hit returns and there I am almost back into the same state as I was before sitting.

It is possible to bring Dharma practice into daily life. Why not continue to chant mantras in the mind or try some mindfulness on the breath or anything. This doesn't disturb the process of cooking coffee.
It's also a great support for any traveling activity: taking a walk, going by bus, underground, train or car - as far as there is no danger that needs higher concentration one can try to keep tuned.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Radical suggestion: take an inventory to determine how much cargo you are carrying. Reduce the cargo as desired. Use Non-Possession and Non-attachment as the means. Most of us are trying to do 10 impossible things before breakfast, when in fact we need more time for daily practice, meetings, and retreats. For example a recovering alcoholic is asked to do a meeting per day 1-2-3 hours for 90 days. The key here is finding the balance. I know - easier said than done!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
sillyrabbit

Post by sillyrabbit »

A number of good suggestions in here:

http://thubtenchodron.org/2011/06/momen ... -practice/

Like:
Before you eat or drink, think:

I am going to make this food (drink) offering to Guru Shakyamuni Buddha, who is the embodiment of all the Buddhas, Dharma, and Sangha, in order to attain full awakening for the sake of all mother sentient beings.

Think the food is very pure like sweet nectar that gives great bliss and tastes delicious, similar to what the Buddha experiences. This food is completely beyond the usual ordinary appearance of food. Offer the food with the verses in this book, and imagine that the Buddha at your heart experiences bliss as you eat.
Or:
Whatever sense objects you enjoy during the day—clothes, music, beautiful scenery and so forth—think that you are offering them to Guru Shakyamuni Buddha who is at your heart. In this way, you continuously make offerings to the Buddha, thus creating a great collection of merit. Also, you will become less attached to sense pleasures and will begin to enjoy them with a peaceful mind.
Namo Amitabha Buddha
:hug:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Zafutales wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm However, almost as soon as I am off the cushion and in the kitchen making a coffee….all the fear, existential dread and all the other $hit returns and there I am almost back into the same state as I was before sitting.

Yes. The Buddha himself. It was the temporary nature of meditational "near nirvana experiences" that drove him to teacher after teacher in search of a permanent solution to suffering. Looks like you are on a pretty good path.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Return to “Gelug”