Geshe Tashi becomes the abbot of Sera Mey Monastery

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Announcement from Jamyang Buddhist Centre in London.

Dear Friends,
It is with great pride that we announce that our beloved teacher, Geshe Tashi Tsering, has been asked by His Holiness the Dalai Lama to become the abbot of Sera Mey Monastic University in South India. Sera Mey is one of the three principal monastic colleges in the Gelug tradition of Tibetan Buddhism.
I spoke with Geshe La on Saturday and he asked me to let you all know how the great honour of being appointed as abbot of Sera Mey is also tinged with sadness to be leaving Jamyang. The position of Abbot is very demanding, carrying heavy responsibilities and he is naturally somewhat apprehensive about this. But he is also sad to be leaving the UK, his home for the last thirty years, and sad to be leaving Jamyang.
We on our side, his students at Jamyang, are also sad to lose such an outstanding teacher. His ability to teach beginners and advanced students alike is unparalleled. Over the last few years, he has increasingly been focused on teaching the most difficult texts of Lama Tsong Kapa, encouraged by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. We will sorely miss him, not just his teachings, but his humility, charm and wealth of insights into how to live in our deeply flawed world.
He expects to remain at Jamyang for the next two months or so. Please, please, come to his teachings for this precious remaining time. We have no further information at this time to give you and we will announce any changes to the programme as these become clearer.
We will also be organising Jamyang’s biggest and best party ever to celebrate Geshe Tashi’s contribution to the centre and his influence on all our lives.

John Bonell
Chair of Trustees of Jamyang Buddhist Centre
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Lobsang Chojor

Re: Geshe Tashi becomes the abbot of Sera Mey Monastery

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I'm so pleased for Geshe-la but I'm saddened by the fact that I won't be able to receive teachings from him as often :crying:
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Wow. That's amazing.

I recall Geshe Thinley of Lam Rim was called back to be head of discipline at Drepung a while ago and suspect he may also end up as an abbot.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I'm delighted to hear this. Thanks for posting, Bristollad. For me there's no sadness because I'm not in England and (unfortunately) I've never met him in person, but his FBT and LRC online courses were an invaluable resource for me ... and felt quite personally directed from Gesha-la.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

BTW, great picture!
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva

Return to “Gelug”