According to the Prasangika, what is wrong with statement that the two truths are two ways of looking at one object?

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: According to the Prasangika, what is wrong with statement that the two truths are two ways of looking at one object?

Post by Wayfarer »

Thus, conventional and ultimate truths do not refer to ideas or perspectives, nor to two levels of reality or truths; they refer to the phenomena themselves.
That strikes me as wrong. It says there are two classes of phenomena, the 'truly existent' and the 'apparently existent'. But all phenomena are only apparently real. What is not apparently real, is also not 'phenomena'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
prsvrnc

Re: According to the Prasangika, what is wrong with statement that the two truths are two ways of looking at one object?

Post by prsvrnc »

Bristollad wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:13 pm Doing a quick web search, your quote seems to come from here:

http://tushita.info/doc/The%20Four%20Te ... ited).docx

From the introduction to the Sautrantika tenets. Oops, no from the intro to the two lower tenet systems.
You're right. I screwed this up by bringing in material from the lower tenet systems. :/ Thanks for helping me clarify that.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

This section from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy seems to touch on why this perspective (two ways of looking at one object) is regarded as incorrect in Gelug but is held to be correct by other Tibetan schools:

While Gelug thus distances itself from the subjective division of the two truths, Nyingma, Kagyü and Sakya attempt to demonstrate the validity of their view by arguing that perspective provides the primary basis for the division of the two truths. Unlike Gelug, non-Gelug schools hold that the two truths do not have any objective basis. Instead they are entirely reducible to the experiences of the deluded minds of ordinary beings and the experiences of the wisdom of exalted being.

According to Gelug, the agent who cognizes the two truths may be one and the same individual. Each agent may have all the requisite cognitive resources that are potentially capable of knowing both truths. Ordinary beings have only conceptual access to ultimate truth, while exalted beings, who are in the process of learning, have direct, but intermittent, access. Awakenened beings, however, invariably have simultaneous access to both truths. The view held by non-Gelug argues for separate cognitive agents corresponding to each of the two truths. Ordinary beings have direct knowledge of conventional truth, but are utterly incapable of knowing ultimate truth. The exalted beings in training directly know ultimate while they are meditative equipoise and conventional truth in post meditative states. Fully awakened buddhas, on the other hand, only have access to ultimate truth. Awakened beings have no access to conventional truth whatsoever from the enlightened perspective, although they may access conventional truth from unenlightened ordinary perspectives.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/twotruths-tibet/
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Wayfarer wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm
Thus, conventional and ultimate truths do not refer to ideas or perspectives, nor to two levels of reality or truths; they refer to the phenomena themselves.
That strikes me as wrong. It says there are two classes of phenomena, the 'truly existent' and the 'apparently existent'. But all phenomena are only apparently real. What is not apparently real, is also not 'phenomena'.
What are you quoting that says there are truly existent and apparently existent phenomena?

Within Gelug tenets texts, phemomena are divided in various ways: existent and non-existent, permanent and impermanent, valid and invalid, affirming and non-affirming but I've never come across "truly existent and the apparently existent" in relation to Prasangika.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Bristollad wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 pm While Gelug thus distances itself from the subjective division of the two truths, Nyingma, Kagyü and Sakya attempt to demonstrate the validity of their view by arguing that perspective provides the primary basis for the division of the two truths. Unlike Gelug, non-Gelug schools hold that the two truths do not have any objective basis. Instead they are entirely reducible to the experiences of the deluded minds of ordinary beings and the experiences of the wisdom of exalted being.
What does "objective basis" refer to here?

Is it referring to an object as distinguished from a subject?
According to Gelug, the agent who cognizes the two truths may be one and the same individual. Each agent may have all the requisite cognitive resources that are potentially capable of knowing both truths. Ordinary beings have only conceptual access to ultimate truth, while exalted beings, who are in the process of learning, have direct, but intermittent, access. Awakenened beings, however, invariably have simultaneous access to both truths. The view held by non-Gelug argues for separate cognitive agents corresponding to each of the two truths. Ordinary beings have direct knowledge of conventional truth, but are utterly incapable of knowing ultimate truth. The exalted beings in training directly know ultimate while they are meditative equipoise and conventional truth in post meditative states. Fully awakened buddhas, on the other hand, only have access to ultimate truth. Awakened beings have no access to conventional truth whatsoever from the enlightened perspective, although they may access conventional truth from unenlightened ordinary perspectives.
It doesn't seem that way. The difference between Gelug and non-Gelug seems to be that the former proposes that beings may hold two "cognitions" about a dharma (Conventional and Absolute) at the same time, while the other schools propose that these two "cognitions" cannot be held at the same time; that the two "cognitions" are "mind-only". ?

This does not seem to be about "objects" as proposed by the OP, but rather is about the capacity to cognize the two truths.

I'm still not clear, though, what this terse explanation means.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Queequeg wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:41 pm The difference between Gelug and non-Gelug seems to be that the former proposes that beings may hold two "cognitions" about a dharma (Conventional and Absolute) at the same time, while the other schools propose that these two "cognitions" cannot be held at the same time; that the two "cognitions" are "mind-only". ?
Awakenened beings, however, invariably have simultaneous access to both truths.
According to Gelug, fully enlightened Buddhas simultaneously access both truths, no-one else. This Stanford article is quite good in regards to explaining the Gelug position - how accurately it presents the non-Geluk positions I can’t really tell since I’ve only casually browsed rather than studied them.

As per the OP Gelug do not accept that the two truths are two points of view of the same object.
Queequeg wrote:Object is illusory, so how can there really be any views, let alone two or more views of the same object.
Gelug decribe objects as illusion-like rather than illusory; like an illusion their mode of appearance and their mode of abidance are contradictory but there are still objects.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Bristollad wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:04 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:41 pm The difference between Gelug and non-Gelug seems to be that the former proposes that beings may hold two "cognitions" about a dharma (Conventional and Absolute) at the same time, while the other schools propose that these two "cognitions" cannot be held at the same time; that the two "cognitions" are "mind-only". ?
Awakenened beings, however, invariably have simultaneous access to both truths.
According to Gelug, fully enlightened Buddhas simultaneously access both truths, no-one else. This Stanford article is quite good in regards to explaining the Gelug position - how accurately it presents the non-Geluk positions I can’t really tell since I’ve only casually browsed rather than studied them.

As per the OP Gelug do not accept that the two truths are two points of view of the same object.
Queequeg wrote:Object is illusory, so how can there really be any views, let alone two or more views of the same object.
Gelug decribe objects as illusion-like rather than illusory; like an illusion their mode of appearance and their mode of abidance are contradictory but there are still objects.
Thanks, I will look at this more closely. I think I have some questions, but want to review a little more to see if those questions are even on point...
:smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Bristolad wrote:What are you quoting that says there are truly existent and apparently existent phenomena?
It was this passage:

“All Buddhist tenet holders assert that whatever exists must be either a conventional or an ultimate truth, and that there is nothing which is both. Thus, conventional and ultimate truths do not refer to ideas or perspectives, nor to two levels of reality or truths; they refer to the phenomena themselves.
I took that to mean that there are 'conventionally existent phenomena' and also 'ultimately existent phenomena' - although perhaps I'm reading it wrong. But it seemed to say that.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Wayfarer wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 am
Bristolad wrote:What are you quoting that says there are truly existent and apparently existent phenomena?
It was this passage:

“All Buddhist tenet holders assert that whatever exists must be either a conventional or an ultimate truth, and that there is nothing which is both. Thus, conventional and ultimate truths do not refer to ideas or perspectives, nor to two levels of reality or truths; they refer to the phenomena themselves.
I took that to mean that there are 'conventionally existent phenomena' and also 'ultimately existent phenomena' - although perhaps I'm reading it wrong. But it seemed to say that.
My understanding is that the “truth” of conventional truth is actually called “truth for a concealer”. It means that what is held to be true conventionally is only apparently true. Namely that the phenomenon in question appears to exist inherently. It is a falsity in the sense that the phenomenon does not actually exist in that way, but rather in relational dependence, devoid of self.

So that passage isn’t positing truly existent phenomena in opposition to apparently existent phenomena. All phenomena are mere appearances, but what is apprehended as conventional truth about a phenomenon is simply not true.

(However, that explanation does begin to sound like a reference to perspective rather than phenomena ... so I anxiously await Bristollad's clarification.)
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Wayfarer wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 am
It was this passage:

Something that is an ultimate truth like the emptiness of the table is not ultimately existent. In the Medium-Length Exposition of the Stages of the Path, Tsongkhapa says:

Therefore, when [an ultimate truth] is analyzed with the reasoning investigating whether it is truly established or not, it is not truly established in the sense of being able to withstand analysis.

From some notes on conventional existence.

"In the Lamrim Chenmo Je Tsongkhapa presents three characteristics that need to be fulfilled for something to exist:
“How does one determine whether something exists conventionally? We hold that something exists conventionally (1) if it is known to a conventional consciousness; (2) if no other conventional valid cognition contradicts its being as it is thus known; and (3) if reason that accurately analyzes reality-that is, analyzes whether something intrinsically exists-does not contradict it. We hold that what fails to meet those criteria does not exist.”(Great Treatise of the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, vol 3, p. 179)
The three criteria are:
  • to be renowned to a conventional consciousness
  • it must not be damaged by a valid cognizer of the conventional
  • it must not be damaged by a valid cognizer analyzing the ultimate (i.e., it must not be damaged by a valid cognizer that realizes emptiness)
If something fulfills these three criteria then it is conventionally existent (i.e., it exists – conventional existence is the only way at all how something could exist at all).
  • The horns of a rabbit do not exist because they do not fulfill the second of these three criteria: they are renowned to a conventional consciousness and cannot be refute by a valid cognizer analyzing the ultimate but they can be refuted by a valid cognizer analyzing the conventional.
  • True existence does not also does not exist: The mind conceiving of true existence is not harmed by the first two criteria but it is harmed by the third criterion: the mind conceiving of true existence would be harmed by a valid cognizer that analyzes the ultimate. Therefore, we cannot say that true existence exists conventionally. (Again, note that conventional existence is the only mode of existence that is possible at all – saying that something “does not exist conventionally” means that it does not exist at all!)."
True existence, truly established, ultimately existent, established by way of its own entity are all synonyms for the Gelugpa presentation of Prasangika. Conventional and ultimate truths are both only conventionally existent.
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Bristollad wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 pm This section from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy seems to touch on why this perspective (two ways of looking at one object) is regarded as incorrect in Gelug but is held to be correct by other Tibetan schools:

While Gelug thus distances itself from the subjective division of the two truths, Nyingma, Kagyü and Sakya attempt to demonstrate the validity of their view by arguing that perspective provides the primary basis for the division of the two truths. Unlike Gelug, non-Gelug schools hold that the two truths do not have any objective basis. Instead they are entirely reducible to the experiences of the deluded minds of ordinary beings and the experiences of the wisdom of exalted being.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/twotruths-tibet/
Forgive me if I'm a little dense. Does the above refute the idea that the two truths are two different ways of viewing the same object because:

(1) That statement (that two truths = two ways of viewing) amounts to the idea that only awakened beings have the capacity for accessing the ultimate truth whereas according to Geluk, even ordinary beings have a way of accessing it, even if only conceptually? So the two ways can't be sharply delineated based on ways of seeing since ordinary beings don't necessarily have the second (ultimate) way of seeing yet they still can cognize the ultimate (conceptually).

(2) Additionally, if the two truths were two different ways of viewing the object, then it wouldn't be possible to cognize them simultaneously because you can't cognize something with two different WAYS at the same time? Rather a Buddha for example only cognizes objects in one way yet simultaneously cognizes both truths. So clearly the two truths can't be two ways of viewing an object because a Buddha can cognize both at the same time.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

prsvrnc wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 am (1) That statement (that two truths = two ways of viewing) amounts to the idea that only awakened beings have the capacity for accessing the ultimate truth whereas according to Geluk, even ordinary beings have a way of accessing it, even if only conceptually? So the two ways can't be sharply delineated based on ways of seeing since ordinary beings don't necessarily have the second (ultimate) way of seeing yet they still can cognize the ultimate (conceptually).
Yes, I think that's correct (except emptiness is directly realised by arya beings during meditative equipoise on emptiness for both non-Gelug and Gelug I think) - though whether it was the reason for Tsongkhapa's partictular reading of texts or a consequence of them, I couldn't say.
Veritaseaon

Post by Veritaseaon »

Bristollad wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 am

In Insight into Emptiness, p234 Khensur Jampa Tegchok explains:
"Each conventional phenomenon - permanent or impermanent - is empty of inherent existence. The conventional phenomenon and its emptiness are one nature; one cannot exist without the other. Furthermore an ultimate nature cannot be posited or identified separate from a conventional nature and vice versa. In other words, a table and the table's emptiness are one nature.
However, they are not the same. They have different names and are different phenomena. The names conventional truth and ultimate truth are different, and a conceptual consciousness understands them to be different. In addition, a conventional truth is not an ultimate truth and vice versa. While a table is empty, it is not emptiness. This is because a table is a conventional truth and the emptiness of the table is an ultimate truth. What is one truth cannot be the other.
Any phenomenon - a conventional truth or an ultimate truth - has both an ultimate nature and a conventional nature. Its conventional nature is that it exists conventionally, by mere name. Its ultimate nature is that is is empty of self-existence."

"an ultimate nature cannot be posited or identified separate from a conventional nature"

"While a table is empty, it is not emptiness. This is because a table is a conventional truth and the emptiness of the table is an ultimate truth."

Maybe we can only look at an object in one way, that is through ultimate analysys, as it's conventional nature is already established.
stevie

Post by stevie »

prsvrnc wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:08 am
Jeff H wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:48 pm I think you need to share more of Hopkins’ context because, on the surface, what you are saying sounds correct. Perhaps he is making a different point.
I wasn't able to attach a picture of the page but on pages 16 and 17 it lists out 32
positions that are refuted in the book. He prefaces the list by saying that "Almost all contemporary renderings of Madhyamika run contrary to Ge-luk-ba authors such as Jam-yang-shay-ba on many central points. It should be clear by the end of this book that the traditional interpretation given here does not agree with, and in fact refuges, all of the following positions with respect to Prasangika-Madhyamika..."

#9: The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object.

So I guess that means #9 is a position that I might not be able to find support for elsewhere, outside of Jam-yang-shay-ba (among others) for instance.
Depends.

The statement 'The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object.' as such is an isolated statement from the introduction of the book and as such it is said to not being in agreement 'with respect to Prasangika-Madhyamika' and since this refers to this isolated statement the refutation is not necessarily restricted to Jam-yang-shay-ba's interpretation of Prasangika-Madhyamika.

Even Malcolm says:
This directly contradicts Chandrakirti, "All entities have two natures, one false, the other true."
and thus uses a completely different expression because
1. The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object.
and
2. All entities have two natures, one false, the other true.
are completely different in wording.

So even if it is unclear what Malcolm actually want's to reject his wording "All entities have two natures, one false, the other true." may be used to reject "The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object." too.

Why?

Because 'The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object.' seems to put two truths on the same level, i.e. being equally true, whereas 'All entities have two natures, one false, the other true.' speaks of natures, one being false and the other being true, i.e. excludes equal status, not of truths but of natures.

Another misconception in connection with 'The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object.' may be added by the expression 'same object'. Why? Because the expression may not only be understood as if positing two equally valid views but through 'same object' it may be understood as if positing an existing object as common basis of these putatively equally valid views and that would amount to misconceiving that 'same object' as inherently existing.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

prsvrnc wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:50 am According to the Prasangika, what is wrong with statement that the two truths are two ways of looking at one object? Jeffrey Hopkins in "Meditation on Emptiness" says that the assertion that the two truths are two ways of looking at one object is a false statement and a misunderstanding of the Prasangika.
Than Candrakīrti also misunderstood Prasaṅga:

Because all entities may be seen veridically or nonveridically,
all entities bear two natures.

Why can't we call these two ways of ascertaining objects be two ways of looking at one object?
Good question.
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:48 pm Because all entities may be seen veridically or nonveridically,
all entities bear two natures.
I assert that there is only one truth/one nature encompassing reality as a whole, accompanied by various flavours of misapprehension corresponding to the minds of beings.

As long as a given set of misapprehensions were internally consistent, we could call it valid, but certainly not "true" in itself.

However, because each possible way of describing reality is uniquely flawed according to the same principles in each case, maybe they can collectively be called a single representation of the truth, which is purified through use as an upaya.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
stevie

Post by stevie »

stevie wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:17 pm Another misconception in connection with 'The two truths are two ways of viewing the same object.' may be added by the expression 'same object'. Why? Because the expression may not only be understood as if positing two equally valid views but through 'same object' it may be understood as if positing an existing object as common basis of these putatively equally valid views and that would amount to misconceiving that 'same object' as inherently existing.
Reconsidering this post of mine I think that's actually the main, the most important argument: there isn't any object that could be looked at in any way from a prasangika perspective. Why?
Because if you look at an object from the perspective of conventional truth then - from a prasangika perspective - there's an object only for ignorance.
And looking at an object from the perspective of ultimate truth is - from a prasangika perspective - utterly impossible because there is no object to look at.

"But that's nihilistic and negates the path" some may argue. But that's not the case because one has to accept one's innate ignorance as the basis for the path to eliminate that ignorance.
So "prasangika perspective" is intellectual and the intellect here is not experience but the guide for experience.

Return to “Gelug”