Free prayer book to print out

KiwiNFLFan

Free prayer book to print out

Post by KiwiNFLFan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am

Hi, does anyone know where I can find a prayer book with basic daily prayers that I can print out and use for my own personal practice? FPMT have some but they all have the standard "no part of this publication may be reproduced..." at the beginning. I have written to request whether I can do this, but in the meantime, does anyone know any basic Tibetan prayer books with the standard prayers (refuge, Four Immeasurables, Seven Limb Prayer etc) that are free to print out and use? I'm also looking for the Praise to the 21 Taras in book format as well, with both Tibetan and English.

I saw a rather large one in PDF format a year or so ago (it was from a temple somewhere in the USA - maybe Chicago but I can't remember). It had several pages with writing only in Tibetan which I would skip from printing. I looked for it this evening and couldn't find it. If anyone can help me, I'd much appreciate it. I see Tsem Tulku Rinpoche has one, but it doesn't have the refuge that starts "Sang gyé chö dang tsok kyi chok nam la".

I want to make sure that I have permission to do this, as these are Buddhist books and I don't want to get bad karma by doing something I'm not supposed to.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Free prayer book to print out

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am

KiwiNFLFan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am
Hi, does anyone know where I can find a prayer book with basic daily prayers that I can print out and use for my own personal practice? FPMT have some but they all have the standard "no part of this publication may be reproduced..." at the beginning. I have written to request whether I can do this, but in the meantime, does anyone know any basic Tibetan prayer books with the standard prayers (refuge, Four Immeasurables, Seven Limb Prayer etc) that are free to print out and use? I'm also looking for the Praise to the 21 Taras in book format as well, with both Tibetan and English.

I saw a rather large one in PDF format a year or so ago (it was from a temple somewhere in the USA - maybe Chicago but I can't remember). It had several pages with writing only in Tibetan which I would skip from printing. I looked for it this evening and couldn't find it. If anyone can help me, I'd much appreciate it. I see Tsem Tulku Rinpoche has one, but it doesn't have the refuge that starts "Sang gyé chö dang tsok kyi chok nam la".

I want to make sure that I have permission to do this, as these are Buddhist books and I don't want to get bad karma by doing something I'm not supposed to.
Can't really help you with a gelug prayer book, but if I were you I'd stay far away from Tsem Tulku Rinpoche and everything he does. He is actually worshiping certain gyalpo dressed as "dharmapala". That is the only advice I can offer.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am

Miroku wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am
KiwiNFLFan wrote:

Can't really help you with a gelug prayer book, but if I were you I'd stay far away from Tsem Tulku Rinpoche and everything he does. He is actually worshiping certain gyalpo dressed as "dharmapala". That is the only advice I can offer.
Sorry, total noob question. Whats is a gyalpo and what is a dharmapala? I'm guessing that dharmapala might be 'Dharma Protector' - are they the wrathful deities, like the Wisdom Kings of East Asian Buddhism?

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

KiwiNFLFan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am
Miroku wrote:
KiwiNFLFan wrote:

Sorry, total noob question. Whats is a gyalpo and what is a dharmapala? I'm guessing that dharmapala might be 'Dharma Protector' - are they the wrathful deities, like the Wisdom Kings of East Asian Buddhism?
Gyalpo is one of the 8 classes beings connected with cancer, madness and etc.. Dharma protectors can be either worldly or enlightened beings, usually manifested in wrathful forms to subdue beings of 8 classes and clear negativities. Here it is against the rules to talk about this specific gyalpo. Sorry.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 pm

KiwiNFLFan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am
Miroku wrote:
KiwiNFLFan wrote:

There is a major schism in the Gelug lineage since the 1980's, which has now become a sort of pro-Dalai Lama vs. anti-Dalai Lama situation at the moment (to really oversimplify things). Dharma Wheel maintains a pro-Dalai Lama view of the matter.

As for prayer books, may I suggest the Jangchup Lamrim prayer book? Slightly more extensive than your standard daily prayers, but quite useful.

The Lam Rim Buddhist Centres has a concise Tara practice available here.

kausalya

Post by kausalya » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:46 pm

Miroku wrote:
For a topic that is categorically off-limits, ppl sure do talk a lot about it.

We never know who someone is. Speaking negatively about them could have unanticipated effects, like "deterring from tantric practice anyone having confidence in it."

Granted, it's highly unlikely that one of his students would appear here, but still... ;) my vows are more important than petty superstitious squabbling, sir.

Thank you for submitting to hear my unqualified opinion.
"Open sky does not abide, nor do sentient beings."

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:08 pm

kausalya wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:46 pm
We never know who someone is. Speaking negatively about them could have unanticipated effects, like "deterring from tantric practice anyone having confidence in it."
Sure, but here we are talking about something HH. Dalailama called spirit worship and in general there was a lot of nastiness around it. Don't know how about you but I'd rather warn someone from doing something I (and my teachers) consider dangerous than pat myself how much of a good boy I am because I keep my vows .

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:16 pm

You can print out stuff for your own use, disclaimer or no. It mighy be nice to support an organization through payment etc. Of course if you want an official booklet.

There is definitely free stuff of that sort out there though.

I'd just cut and paste refuge & bohdicitta, seven limb prayer etc. from a source you like and trust, there's nothing unethical about that.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

kausalya

Post by kausalya » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 pm

Miroku wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:08 pm
kausalya wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:46 pm
Sure, but here we are talking about something HH. Dalailama called spirit worship and in general there was a lot of nastiness around it. Don't know how about you but I'd rather warn someone from doing something I (and my teachers) consider dangerous than pat myself how much of a good boy I am because I keep my vows .
I understand that.

My position is that without pure perception it is impossible to know what is really going on. Because it is impossible, I don't try. I stay out. I keep to my own practice only & trust that others will in the fullness of time gain the wisdom necessary to avoid all negativity. This is the very purpose of my practice, to grant others the opportunity to gain this deep wisdom, not to lecture them like naughty schoolboys.
"Open sky does not abide, nor do sentient beings."

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:00 am

Let's keep to the topic of the post please.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Yeshe Dorje

Post by Yeshe Dorje » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:50 am

Here you go, just select $0 in the donation section. FPMT have quite other free ones as well

https://shop.fpmt.org/Daily-Prayers-PDF_p_1004.html

Nicholas Weeks

Re: Free prayers

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Not so long as a book, but here are nine beneficial prayers or aspirations:

https://www.awakeningvajrainternational ... RAYERS.pdf
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Bodhicitta.

Return to “Gelug”