Differences between sects

avatamsaka3

Differences between sects

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Are there any texts you can recommend that describe the difference between the different Tibetan traditions? Yes, I have researched it myself. But I'm asking what you personally have found to be useful.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Differences between sects

Post by Queequeg »

Some people may have objection but I found Reginald Ray's two volumes, "Secret of the Vajra World" and "Indestructible Truth" informative. I do not follow a Tibetan tradition, though.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I believe, practically there are no important differences.
If you are searching for information due to the question which tradition to follow, maybe it's better to follow your heart.
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

This one is kinda fun reading and may interest you:

https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... ur-schools
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

What I have found personally useful is to attend events at various centers, to get a feel for the flavor of practice and instruction.

I think the reading recommendations are good ones. The similarities, especially for someone outside of a Tibetan cultural background, will probably be far greater than the differences, in terms of daily practice, etc. Philosophical positions, and the relative value of such positions to more concrete meditation instruction, certainly differ. The actual prayers recited and practices undertaken will share a common core, but there will be specific methods for different lineages, for sure.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

dolphin_color wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 pm Are there any texts you can recommend that describe the difference between the different Tibetan traditions? Yes, I have researched it myself. But I'm asking what you personally have found to be useful.
Tashi delek,

The Tibetan Spiritual Traditions have here and there some historical differences which results in different Lineages with different Adi Buddhas.

They share similarities like : Compassion and Wisdom which form for all of them the base of their practise, no doubt about it.
This is a very important base because their Buddhas have it for the full 100 % realized and their adherents work on those specific realizations with different methods which causes different realizations on the ladder to Liberation.
The best meditation is no meditation
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I'd recommend Jamgon Kongtrul's The Ri-me Philosophy: A Study of the Buddhist Lineages of Tibet translated by Roingu Tulku and published by Shambhala (2006), ISBN-13 978-1-59030-286-9. Should be what you're looking for.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:42 pm Some people may have objection but I found Reginald Ray's two volumes, "Secret of the Vajra World" and "Indestructible Truth" informative. I do not follow a Tibetan tradition, though.
“Indestructible Truth” has the material on the 4 traditions.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Dr. Alexander Berzin wrote:Some of the main differences in the explanations that the four traditions give of the teachings come from their ways of defining and using technical terms, as well as from their presenting the Dharma from different points of view.

For instance, the pair “permanent/impermanent” can mean either static/non-static or eternal/temporary. When the Gelugpas say that the mind is impermanent, they are referring to the fact that our minds are aware of different objects in each moment and so they never remain static. On the other hand, when Kagyupas and Nyingmapas explain that the mind is permanent, they are referring to the fact that the mind’s nature never changes and that it has no beginning or end. Both sides would agree, however, with the others’ assertions, despite their positions regarding the mind’s impermanence or permanence, on the surface, are diametrically opposed.

Another difference is that Gelug explains the Dharma from the point of view of ordinary beings, Sakya from that of highly realized aryas on the path, while Kagyu and Nyingma from the point of view of enlightened beings. So, for instance, Gelug says the subtlest mind still has the habits of ignorance, like at the time of death; Sakya says it is blissful like it is generated on the path; while Kagyu and Nyingma explain it has everything complete and perfect already, as in the case of Buddhas. Further, Gelug and Sakya explain from the point of view of practitioners who proceed slowly in stages, while Kagyu and Nyingma often present the path as it occurs with those rare practitioners for whom “everything happens at once.”
MORE: https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-s ... ons-differ
DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

madhusudan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 am This one is kinda fun reading and may interest you:

https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... ur-schools
I love this one! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Thank you, everyone. Your replies are appreciated.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

The values of each tradition are sometimes different. They may emphasize certain aspects of the teachings and certain practices over others... giving certain reasonings for these positions, usually depending on the great masters of the past in that particular lineage. And so each lineage will have a certain flavor or “style.”

But it’s all just ways of developing bodhicitta and emptiness. And the goal is the same:

To liberate all sentient beings from suffering. Forever!
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Choose in this order:
Guru (and Sangha)
Practice
Sect

If you choose the first wisely, the second will come, and the third be irrelevant.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29590
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 pm Choose in this order:
Guru (and Sangha)
Practice
Sect

If you choose the first wisely, the second will come, and the third be irrelevant.
This is very well put.

I’ll add that I think people follow their family’s tradition or if not then whatever groups are nearby their home and work.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Contrary to what one of the above posters said, I think there are very important differences between schools, especially for non-native practitioners. Although all include both practice and study, some emphasize the former and some the latter. Some encourage one to integrate the two as one goes along, others insist that establishing the right philosophical view must precede serious meditative practice. Some have a strong lay component, while others see the monastic institution as a sine qua non for real practice. While it is admirable to avoid sectarianism, this should not preclude choosing a path, which is, if you aim at being a serious practitioner and not just an Internet Practitioner or once-a-week Buddhist, one of the most important decisions you will make in your life.

I would also say beware in choosing a teacher first. Many beginning students are quick to try to establish a connection with and commit to a teacher based purely on an emotional feeling, and often they are disappointed when the teacher later proves to be different from what they expected. It is crucial in choosing a path that you are honest about your own motivations, and find a tradition that best suits your goals. Take your time, but don't waste it -- life is short.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Ooops -- sorry -- meant to post this in "differences between Tibetan lineages" in the general Tibetan Buddhism section. Two similar discussions going on at the same time.

Return to “Gelug”