Padmasambhava

avatamsaka3

Padmasambhava

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Is the role Guru Rinpoche plays in Gelug practice any different than it would be in other sects? Is he considered the second Buddha in this practice?
ThreeVows

Re: Padmasambhava

Post by ThreeVows »

AFAIK, the Gelug school does not generally recognize the authenticity of the termas, and in general, I don't think Padmasambhava plays a primary role really at all. They've got other focuses.

Others may add/correct me, as I'm not positive.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

dolphin_color wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:39 am Is the role Guru Rinpoche plays in Gelug practice any different than it would be in other sects? Is he considered the second Buddha in this practice?
The secret accomplishment Hayagriva is practiced within the Gelug. It is a terma with a lineage that goes to Guru Rinpoche. Also in Dalai Lamas temple in Dharamsala there is a huge very beautiful Guru Rinpoche statue that was, I was told, brought from Tibet.

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Secr ... _Hayagriva

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

I do know Guru Rinpoche prayers have been recommended by leading Gelug-lamas... See: https://www.lamayeshe.com/advice/padmasambhava-prayer and http://www.robinacourtin.com/prayers-to-guru-rinpoche/.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

The 5th Dalai Lama and some other Gelug-lamas were terton, but not so many. For example, the 13th Dalai Lama was a disciple of Terton Sogyal and the 14th Dalai Lama was/is a disciple of Dudjom Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. The Namgyal monastery (personal monastery of Dalai Lama) performs periodically Vajrakilaya drubchen. One of main yidams of Sera Jey Monastery is terma Hayagriva Tamdrin Yangsang.
1st Panchen Lama was practitioner of Hayagriwa Sangdrub (Kyerganpa tradition) which is terma. He also wrote extensive commentaries and ritual texts related to this terma, including Dorje Legpa (Damchien Garwang Ngangpo) ritual and Pehar ritual.
Ra Lotsawa whos Yamantaka tradition is practiced in Gelugpa was himself master of Vajrakilaya and Chemchok Heruka.
Lama Tsongkhapa was considered emanation of Guru Rinpoche (as well)
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

This^.

‘Rimé’ is basically ‘built’ into Tibetan Buddhadharma, whether some sectarians want to recognize it or not.

The main difference between schools (aside from some historical squabbles) is their debates over interpretations of Sutras, which is ultimately inconsequential.

The goal of all Tantra in all legitimate Tibetan schools is the same.
tobes

Post by tobes »

HHDL has fairly regularly taught Dzogchen from some of the aforementioned sources. Actually am currently reading one of those, which was a teaching he gave drawn from Patrul Rinpoche.

Some of his recent empowerment have also been Terma visions (usually from the 5th, but not exclusively).

I also know of a Gelug/FPMT centre in Tasmania Australia that undertook a very extensive Guru Rinpoche Tsog practice.

On the last point of by Crazy-man: I have also received this as advice from a very well regarded Gelug teacher.

Perhaps there are more problems going the other way, due to historical-political causes?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s previous life was a Nyingma meditation master called The Lawudo Lama. Probably because of this connection, Guru Rinpoche prayers and pujas are regularly done in the FPMT, and big guru Rinpoche statues are often seen in FPMT centers. There is also the famous 3-month vajrasattva retreat at both Tushita Meditation Center in Dharamsala and at Kopan Monastery in Nepal.
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

According to the second Dalai Lama, Gedun Gyatso (1476-1542), Lama Tsongkhapa, the Eight Century Nyingma Master Padmasambhava and Atisha (980-1054) are one and the same Being.

Tsongkhapa as Dzokchenpa: Nyingma Discourses and Geluk Sources
https://digitalcommons.linfield.edu/cgi ... text=iijbs
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Hard-line Gelukpas are still not comfortable with Padmasambhava, but the mainstream accepts him if for no other reason than that he is still tremendously popular among Tibetans.
heart

Post by heart »

tingdzin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:20 pm Hard-line Gelukpas are still not comfortable with Padmasambhava, but the mainstream accepts him if for no other reason than that he is still tremendously popular among Tibetans.
In Dalai Lama's temple in Dharamsala they have a huge beautiful Guru Rinpoche staty that was brought there from a Gelug temple in Tibet.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

tingdzin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:20 pm Hard-line Gelukpas are still not comfortable with Padmasambhava, but the mainstream accepts him if for no other reason than that he is still tremendously popular among Tibetans.
Not sure who those hardliners you speak of are. Even the lamas that might be uncomfortable with Nyingma practices have no issues with Guru Rinpoche. And while the three seats tended to be more conservative, Sera Jey has preserved Most Secret Hayagriva terma practice since its founding with the direct blessing of Je Rinpoche.
heart wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:55 pmIn Dalai Lama's temple in Dharamsala they have a huge beautiful Guru Rinpoche staty that was brought there from a Gelug temple in Tibet.
As far as I know that statue was made in exile to compensate for not making it in Tibet pre-invasion as advised by Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche.
heart

Post by heart »

jmlee369 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:23 am
heart wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:55 pmIn Dalai Lama's temple in Dharamsala they have a huge beautiful Guru Rinpoche staty that was brought there from a Gelug temple in Tibet.
As far as I know that statue was made in exile to compensate for not making it in Tibet pre-invasion as advised by Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche.
Ok, I was told that it was made in Tibet but I can't remember who said that. This was a long time ago.
~Kurt Vonnegut

VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

Dalai Lama Attends the Annual Offering to Guru Padmasambhava
https://www.dalailama.com/pictures/his- ... masambhava

A Message from His Holiness the Dalai Lama about a film about Acharya Padmasambhava
https://triptychjourney.org/message-hol ... alai-lama/
thubten_palmo

Post by thubten_palmo »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:39 am Is the role Guru Rinpoche plays in Gelug practice any different than it would be in other sects? Is he considered the second Buddha in this practice?
"Gelug practice" involves many practices, each one with its own lineage that may not necessarily have been Gelug originally, such as the Vajrayogini practice in Gelug that came from the 13 Golden Dharmas of the Sakya. Hayagriva, for example, as it has already been mentioned here, is a Nyingma practice that is also practiced in Gelug and has Nyingma masters in its lineage. So it really depends on what practices you have an affinity for or have received from your own guru, the guru's affiliation or identification with a particular Tibetan Buddhist school or monastery, and the lineage of the practice you have received. I have not encountered any hostility towards Guru Rinpoche from any Gelug master. Although each practitioner may have their own preferences of biases. :namaste:

Return to “Gelug”