Gelug ngondro

northernlights

Gelug ngondro

Post by northernlights » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 am

I have been practicing buddhism for some years, and I feel very attached to the Dalai Lama. I would like to practice ngondro, I have been practicing Kagyu ngondro. But since the Dalai Lama is not part of the Kagyu lineage (as I have understood), I can't do ngondro and consider him as my teacher. I would be very thankful if someone could help me out with what to do. Where can I get teachings for the gelug ngondro? And can I practice Kagyu ngondro with the Dalai Lama as my teacher?

Sādhaka

Re: Gelug ngondro

Post by Sādhaka » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:40 pm

The Gyalwa Dalai Lama has received teachings from Kagyu, Gelug, Sakya, Nyingma, Bön, and I’m assuming Jonang as well.

All Tantric Ngondro’s achieve the same thing, and it’s best to do the one(s) you received from your Teacher(s).

I hope you get a chance to receive a Ngondro directly from the Gyalwa Dalai Lama.
The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:22 pm

northernlights wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 am
I have been practicing buddhism for some years, and I feel very attached to the Dalai Lama. I would like to practice ngondro, I have been practicing Kagyu ngondro. But since the Dalai Lama is not part of the Kagyu lineage (as I have understood), I can't do ngondro and consider him as my teacher. I would be very thankful if someone could help me out with what to do. Where can I get teachings for the gelug ngondro? And can I practice Kagyu ngondro with the Dalai Lama as my teacher?
You can do a Kagyu ngondro and consider HH Dalai Lama as your teacher too, you're allowed multiple teachers and I know people doing a kagyu ngondro who are gelugpas.

Your best bet to get instruction on a gelug ngondro is to find a Geshe near you who can guide you on this, HH Dalai Lama rarely teaches on ngondro now.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

zerwe

Post by zerwe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

I would continue with your current Ngondro and if you want to engage in Gelug Ngondro you could perhaps fill in the gaps while you wait to receive instructions for a qualified Gelug master.

In my case, I was given very specific practices, numbers for accumulation, and instructions that did not reflect the typical Gelug Ngondro. However, standard Gelug Ngondro would be a good start if you feel that you have an affinity for this tradition.

There are typically Nine Ngondro practices in Gelug done within a particular Guru Yoga practice (usually Ganden Lhagyama);

Prostrations (35 Buddhas)
Mandala Offerings with
--Refuge and Bodhicitta
Water Bowls
Guru Yoga (Migstema)
Vajrasattva
Samayvajra
Tsa-Tsas
Vajradaka

Here is a link to a good overview on Berzin's site

https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-s ... -practices

Best Wishes,
Shaun :namaste:

puggily

Post by puggily » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Guru Vajradhara is the essence of buddha nature and all the gurus. Therefore the Dalai Lama is an integral part of this.

Return to “Gelug”