Making his point the hard way

smcj

Making his point the hard way

Post by smcj » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 pm

This is a story I heard many years ago. I was lead to believe it was true, but I can’t swear by it. Even so I thought I’d share.
In the late ‘60s or early ‘70s a western student of a Gelug lama asked him to give a teaching to the hippies and vagabonds traveling their part of India. The lama agreed, and on the day gave a teaching on impermanence and death.

The problem was the hippies weren’t getting the message. So the lama went into great detail about how you really don’t know when you’re going to die. They still weren’t getting the message, so the lama slumped over and died right there in front of them.

The western student that had made the request for the teachings was of course horrified. He felt responsible. But you’ve got to admit his lama meant what he said.

I’ll take that as a sign of attainment rivaling rainbow body.
Last edited by smcj on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-730689343/chenrezig-puja
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Making his point the hard way

Post by Queequeg » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:25 pm

I imagine the hippies still didn't get it.

"Far out, man."
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 pm

smcj wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 pm
This is a story I heard many years ago. I was lead to believe it was true, but I can’t swear by it. Even so I thought I’d share.
In the late ‘60s or early ‘70s a western student of a Gelug lama asked him to give a teaching to the hippies and vagabonds traveling their part of India. The lama agreed, and on the day gave a teaching on impermanence and death.

The problem was the hippies weren’t getting the message. So the lama went into great detail about how you really don’t know when you’re going to die. They still weren’t getting the message, so the lama slumped over and died right there in front of them.

The western student that had made the request for the teachings was of course horrified. He felt responsible. But you’ve got to admit his lama meant what he said.

I’ll take that as a sign of attainment rivaling rainbow body.
Maybe they were all cushioned in some way, but my recollection of India was that death was present, in your face, pretty much every day. Can't imagine any vagrant or hippie traveller would have avoided that. If they were spoiled rotten as residents in an ashram, maybe.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Gelug”