Om Ah Ra Ba Tsa Na Dhi

sangyey

Om Ah Ra Ba Tsa Na Dhi

Post by sangyey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what the idea behind the mantra Om Ah Ra Ba Tsa Na Dhi is because I have seen it in Lama Tsongkhapa’s Guru Yoga (I guess you would say associated with him) but I thought it was Manjushri’s Mantra?

Thank you.

Brunelleschi

Re: Om Ah Ra Ba Tsa Na Dhi

Post by Brunelleschi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 pm

From my understanding it is Manjushri's mantra but Lama Tsong Khapa is closely associated with Manjushri. Supposedly, he had visions of Manjushri after an intense retreat (four years long I think) and was able to receive teachings directly from Manjushri.

sangyey

Post by sangyey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Would it be possible to recite the mantra with faith and devotion towards Lama Tsongkhapa (instead of Manjushri)? Currently I have been reciting Om Ah Guru Vajra Dhara Sumati Kirti Siddhi Hung but would prefer a shorter mantra.

kausalya

Post by kausalya » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:57 pm

sangyey wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:35 pm
Would it be possible to recite the mantra with faith and devotion towards Lama Tsongkhapa (instead of Manjushri)? Currently I have been reciting Om Ah Guru Vajra Dhara Sumati Kirti Siddhi Hung but would prefer a shorter mantra.
I don't see why you can't, but I would try to view them as inseparable when you recite.

Have you learned the Migtsema? You might enjoy the melody.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)

Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Je Tsongkhapa is an emanation of the Wisdom Buddha Manjushri - his body is the nature of Manjushri, his speech is the nature of Avalokiteshvara and his mind is the nature of Vajrapani, so it's perfectly okay to recite 'OM AH RA PA TSA NA DHI' as an act of devotion towards Tsongkhapa.

sangyey

Post by sangyey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:25 am

Have you learned the Migtsema? You might enjoy the melody.
Yes, I have learned it and recite with Ganden Lha Gyama. Informally I recite Tsongkhapa’s shorter mantra.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:29 pm

sangyey wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:00 pm
Hello,

I was wondering what the idea behind the mantra Om Ah Ra Ba Tsa Na Dhi is because I have seen it in Lama Tsongkhapa’s Guru Yoga (I guess you would say associated with him) but I thought it was Manjushri’s Mantra?

Thank you.
There is a longer mantra of Lama Tsongkhapa (different from the name mantra you mentioned) that is transmitted during Lama Tsongkhapa jenang which can be abbreviated to OM AH RA PA CA NA DHI. There is also a tradition of reciting the mantras of the Lords of the Three Families (Manjushri, Avalokitesvara, and Vajrapani) as part of Lama Tsongkhapa's guru yoga practice during the mantra recitation section since he is the in the nature of the three lords as stated in the migtsema.

Return to “Gelug”