Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am

The Mie Prefectural Government has granted a local association a license to cultivate cannabis for making items used in Shinto rituals, including shimenawa (traditional ropes hung at a shrine’s entrance).
The association plans to cultivate a cannabis variety that has little narcotic effects, with harvesting expected in or around August.

According to the health ministry, a total of 37 entities in 12 prefectures had been given permission to cultivate cannabis as of the end of December 2016.

“Cannabis cultivation and processing techniques will disappear unless we work hard now (to preserve them),” Hitoshi Nitta, a senior official of the association and professor at Kogakkan University in Ise, said, noting that cannabis farmers are aging.

“We hope to make this association an entity that can play a central role in cannabis production in Japan,” he said.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/ ... tb3qC7wbIV

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Queequeg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am
“Cannabis cultivation and processing techniques will disappear unless we work hard now (to preserve them),” Hitoshi Nitta, a senior official of the association and professor at Kogakkan University in Ise, said, noting that cannabis farmers are aging.

“We hope to make this association an entity that can play a central role in cannabis production in Japan,” he said.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/ ... tb3qC7wbIV
I have it on good authority that there are cannabis farmers on the younger end of the spectrum... If the Japanese government followed the trend toward decriminalization, those young farmers might come out into the open and might even appreciate branching out their business...
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Wicked Yeshe

Re: Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Wicked Yeshe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:27 am

Very good. It is quite outrageous that it should still be illegal. Soon medicinal marijuana might be allowed on a world level. Hopefully very soon.

When i lived in Nepal it was semi-legal and rarely enforced. There were also many stores that sold hemp clothes and shoes. Wearing hemp and smoking hemp is really nice! :twothumbsup:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Wicked Yeshe wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:27 am
Wearing hemp and smoking hemp is really nice! :twothumbsup:
Wearing hemp? In terms of natural fibers, I prefer cotton.
Smoking hemp? It is a mind altering experience; as with all intoxicants - moderation, if at all. I find it interferes with spiritual cultivation; if I'm engaged in a period of intensive practice, I avoid all intoxicants - my daily cup of coffee aside - I find they derail the substrate consciousness. Others seem to be unaffected by it. Notwithstanding, I'm in the decriminalize pot camp. I look forward to growing a stalk of sensimilla or two in my back yard, next to the tomatoes and cucumbers.

I can't imagine that they could truly criminalize hemp in Nepal, or India for that matter - it grows all over the place wild.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 am

It's a novelty to wear it for the most part. I found it not to be as strong as some would like it to be. Wore out a couple of hemp shoes faster than ordinary shoes.

Moderation is key. Self distance too. It can't hurt more than the LSD like compund someone dipped my hemp string in. I was restringing my mala back home with it and got some of the string in my mouth and an hour later i was clearly tripping. Someone in Nepal must have thought i needed some acid or something..

I've grown weed in my closet when i was younger. Quite nice!