Đạo Hòa Hảo Buddhism

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Techno Yogi

Đạo Hòa Hảo Buddhism

Post by Techno Yogi » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:04 am

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of or experience with the Vietnamese Đạo Hòa Hảo (道和好) movement, or if anyone knows of any English language resources about them.

rory

Re: Đạo Hòa Hảo Buddhism

Post by rory » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:01 am

Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Techno Yogi

Post by Techno Yogi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 am

rory wrote:Cult
I'm familiar with the Wikipedia articles, thanks. I was wondering if anyone had any direct knowledge of this group and their practices beyond a Wiki summary.

And what makes you say they are a cult? In what sense are you using the word cult?

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:55 am

the wikipedia has sources of information on this group if you are interested in tracking them down and learning more.
why do you care?
your google search didnt provide enough information?
do your mantras!

Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:11 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:why do you care?
Focusing in the needy is actually a pretty interesting development. Claiming that their leaders are Buddhas is a bit much, but it wouldn't be the first time a group claimed to be led by the likes of a great soul or a Bodhisattva.
When facing a single tree, if you look at a single one of its red leaves, you will not see all the others. When the eye is not set on any one leaf, and you face the tree with nothing at all in mind, any number of leaves are visible to the eye without limit. But if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there. One who has understood this is no different from Kannon with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes.
— Takuan Sōhō, the Unfettered Mind

Techno Yogi

Post by Techno Yogi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:47 am

Taco_Rice wrote:
Fortyeightvows wrote:why do you care?
Focusing in the needy is actually a pretty interesting development. Claiming that their leaders are Buddhas is a bit much, but it wouldn't be the first time a group claimed to be led by the likes of a great soul or a Bodhisattva.
The leaders who they claim were Buddhas - Đoàn Minh Huyên and Huỳnh Phú Sổ - are also both deceased (or the latter is MIA, according to some), so to my knowledge there is no living member of the sect is venerated as a Buddha.

I agree that their focus on populism and in particular on developing Dharma practice for farmers in the Mekong Delta is fascinating and in some ways seems to be the opposite of how Dharma is being spread in the contemporary West. It seems Hoa Hao played a prominent role in 19th and 20th century Vietnam, up until the end of the Vietnam War.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:28 am

it's all the lineage at play

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”