is it possible to practice Maka-Shikan without teacher?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ShineeSeoul

is it possible to practice Maka-Shikan without teacher?

Post by ShineeSeoul » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:03 am

Hi every one

I have tried to do seating meditation and counting numbers while seating for 12 minutes, I enjoy it today
I felt like I am doing it right for the first time may be

so whats the advice I needed to do it correctly and progress everyday without a teacher?

I have another question, how many types of Bowing in Tendai Buddhism, and what they chant while bowing?

Thanks

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: is it possible to practice Maka-Shikan without teacher?

Post by Queequeg » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:34 pm

Recommended -

Get some basic instruction in samatha and vipassana meditation from someone who knows what they're doing. I don't think the tradition matters, or even if they're a recognized/authorized teacher - just that they are a serious practitioner who knows what they're doing.

That said, these two texts by Zhiyi (Tiantai) are excellent references and I think can be helpful whether you receive instructions or not.

The Essentials of Buddhist Meditation

Six Dharma Gates to the Sublime
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Seishin
Former staff member

Re: is it possible to practice Maka-Shikan without teacher?

Post by Seishin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm

It's not entirely impossible to progress without a teacher in shikan, but in my personal opinion it's unlikely and unadvisable. Shikan is shamatha and vipashyana combined, which can be found in many different Buddhist schools including Tibetan Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism. So in this regard it is advisable to attend a local centre so that you can learn from someone who will guide you on this journey.

As for bowing, depending on the practice and occasion we either bow 3 times, 108 times or 3000 times. When bowing three times chant the refuge as I gave you before. When bowing 108 times, there is no need to chant, but if you wish, chant what you like. In the case of bowing 3000 times, there is a specific ritual for this which does not have an English translation. In this case we chant the names of the 3000 Buddhas of the past, present and future. This practice will definitely need to be taught as you can do damage to your body if you're not bowing in the correct way.

phpBB [video]

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”