Guru Yoga & Lamanism: Speculations on Shingon and Nichiren Schools

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Guru Yoga & Lamanism: Speculations on Shingon and Nichiren Schools

Post by DGA »

illarraza wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:16 am You may call it what you like PotatO or pOtato, TOmato or tomatO, Tibetian or Shingon are both Vajrayana (with Tibetian "Buddhism" adding a hefty sprinkling of Bon). Whether the Guru as in Guru Yoga (Tibetian) or Guru as Maha Acharya (Shingon), Tantra Yoga is found in both.
The difference between fact and nonsense is not a matter of preference or habit. You made some claims that have been proven wrong, and you have yet to rebut those claims in a manner that is accountable to fact or reason.

Yes, Shingon-shu and Tibetan (note the spelling, silly) Vajrayana do share a historical basis. That is obvious and no one contests this. The rest of your claims...?
Perhaps you believe that you are an upholder of the Lotus Sutra but there is no Lotus Sutra in Mappo without Nichiren.
Prove it.

Also, here's a related thread for you to consider:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=26860
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

DGA wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 am Is there any such thing as guru yoga in the Shingon tradition?
True Guru is Buddha nature, forms and names are only illusions.

On a separate notes, A friend of mine who practice Shugendō mentioned to me that they have a guru yoga practice of Otsuno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_no_Gy%C5%8Dja

En no Ozunu, also En no Ozuno, Otsuno (役小角) (b. 634, in Katsuragi (modern Nara Prefecture); d. c. 700–707) was a Japanese ascetic and mystic, traditionally held to be the founder of Shugendō, the path of ascetic training practiced by the gyōja or yamabushi.
He was banished by the Imperial Court to Izu Ōshima on June 26, 699, but folk tales at least as old as the Nihon Ryōiki (c. 800) recount his supernatural powers and exploits.
He also referred to by the name En no Gyōja (役行者 "En the ascetic"), En no Ubasoku (役優婆塞 "En the lay monk") , or under the full name En no Kimi Ozunu, where Kimi (君) is his kabane or titular name.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Bruce wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 am
DGA wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 am Is there any such thing as guru yoga in the Shingon tradition?
On a separate notes, A friend of mine who practice Shugendō mentioned to me that they have a guru yoga practice of Otsuno.

I don't understand. Can you or your friend explain what is meant by "Guru Yoga practice of Otsuno" ? Where did it originate?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

jake wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 pm
Bruce wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 am

I don't understand. Can you or your friend explain what is meant by "Guru Yoga practice of Otsuno" ? Where did it originate?
Well, He mentioned to me once when he was trying to explain to me the stage of practices in his lineage; however, I am not a Shingon practitioner. I just suggest this is a good direction to look into.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”