Study in Japan

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Bernie

Study in Japan

Post by Bernie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 am

Hello Everyone,

I live in a rural area of Japan, Takamatsu City, Kagawa-ken, on Shikoku Island. I would like to know if there are any study programs/temples to practice at....I am married so I cannot make a long-term, residential commitment, and 55 years old, so age my be a concern?

I know there are websites that list temples in Japan where foreigners can stay for a short-term. Okayama is about an hour away by train...

I have been sitting on my own for about 12 years, but have had no formal training.

Thanks,

Bernie

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Study in Japan

Post by Queequeg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Bernie wrote:Hello Everyone,

I live in a rural area of Japan, Takamatsu City, Kagawa-ken, on Shikoku Island. I would like to know if there are any study programs/temples to practice at....I am married so I cannot make a long-term, residential commitment, and 55 years old, so age my be a concern?

I know there are websites that list temples in Japan where foreigners can stay for a short-term. Okayama is about an hour away by train...

I have been sitting on my own for about 12 years, but have had no formal training.

Thanks,

Bernie
Wow. What path brought you way out there?

:smile:

Do you speak Japanese?

What kind of tradition are you looking for?

Many sects have foreigner or overseas outreach groups. You might look those up.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Queequeng,

My wife is from this area. I am not so concerned about which tradition but just want to get involved with a group. I do speak Japanese but I am not fluent.

Bernie

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

I would think in Shikoku you'd have lots of options, even if you aren't fluent.

I think there are actually users at this site who might be able to point you in the right directions...

Eijo is a monk and scholar at Koya-san (Shingon).
Seishin, if I'm not mistaken, is ordained in Tendai.
Kanse is an acolyte in Nichiren Shu.

You might try sending them private messages and they might be able to put you in touch with people locally.

I am sure that if you contacted the local Jodo Shinshu temple they'd be happy to help you.

Zen I'm not so sure about - maybe post something directly in the Zen forum in case they haven't seen this.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:40 am

Dear Queequeg,

Thanks for the information. I will contact these people.

Bernie

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:24 am

No problem! Good luck!

Would love to hear about your adventure in the future!
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

rory

Post by rory » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:09 am

Bernie;
there is also Rev. Dodatsu Clifton Ong of Jodo Shinshu he's at the main temple Hongan-Ji in Kyoto, and he would know English speaking sanghas. I've known him online for years and he has that special kindness that's so very Pure Land. So do contact him!
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:03 am

Thank you Rory!

Bernie

Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:39 pm

I believe that in many japanese traditions, in order to engage in full formal practice you have to actually to be ordained, it is the case of Shingon and many Zen lineages. The traditional exceptions being the lay oriented schools such as Pure Land traditions and Nichiren in general. Formal practice for laity seems to be a new thing for many old buddhist traditions in Japan. These old schools do have some practices for the laity, but much more simpler ones. Full training and a relationship with a teacher happens within an ordained monastic setting. I know of some zen tempels in Kyoto that train westerners, mainly Rinzai, and offer retreats for the laity. This happens specially at sesshins or retreats where you can get along with a teacher, with practice sessions and intervies .I also urge you to look for the empowerments or Kechien Kanjo that happens every semester in Koyasan, they offer guidence to westerners, this is a life changing experience, in which you connect directly with Vairocana Buddha and his Mandala and also to the lineage of Kobo Daishi. The next one being in october! May I ask you if you have done the Shikoku pilgrimage before? If you do visit in future any of the 88 temples in the future please pray for my dharma practice and remember me before the many deities there!

A list with some institutions that take westerners for techings and retreats:http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/b ... nters.html
For the Koyasan Kechien Kanjo http://eng.shukubo.net/experiences.html http://www.koyasan.or.jp/en/kongobuji/event.html
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Thank you Nyedrag Yeshe

Bernie