Primordial Buddha Post?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jake

Primordial Buddha Post?

Post by jake » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:10 pm

What happened to the primordial buddha discussion? I can't find it anywhere....
“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone."

conebeckham

Re: Primordial Buddha Post?

Post by conebeckham » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:25 pm

I am going to hazard a guess that the OP asked that it be killed. Vanished. Disposed of. Deceased. It''s an "ex-post."
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

markatex

Post by markatex » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:38 pm

It was a total clusterf.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:22 am

Honestly a bunch of people suddenly jumped on the thread who had little respect or knowledge of East Asian Buddhism, who demanded that everyone bow to their Indic orthodoxy and terminology. The same thing happened with the thread "Holy Eagle Peak and the Saha World". I hope it does not become a trend.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:03 am

Coëmgenu wrote:Honestly a bunch of people suddenly jumped on the thread who had little respect or knowledge of East Asian Buddhism, who demanded that everyone bow to their Indic orthodoxy and terminology. The same thing happened with the thread "Holy Eagle Peak and the Saha World". I hope it does not become a trend.
Consider it a way of life.

Moreover, people show great hostility to this sutra, even in the presence of the Tathāgata. How much more so after the parinirvāṇa of the Tathāgata!
— LS Ch10

:buddha1:

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 am

Coëmgenu wrote:Honestly a bunch of people suddenly jumped on the thread who had little respect or knowledge of East Asian Buddhism, who demanded that everyone bow to their Indic orthodoxy and terminology. The same thing happened with the thread "Holy Eagle Peak and the Saha World". I hope it does not become a trend.
It is the primordial trend. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:09 am

Who in that thread actually had knoweldge of East Asian doctrinal notions of the Adi Buddha in the first place though? All I saw was spitballing from the OP(s). In a case like that, it's hard to see how any outside participation wouldn't be seen as preachy.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:14 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Who in that thread actually had knoweldge of East Asian doctrinal notions of the Adi Buddha in the first place though? All I saw was spitballing from the OP(s). In a case like that, it's hard to see how any outside participation wouldn't be seen as preachy.
It was in the Nichiren subforum. Mahāvairocana is not necessarily a figure of any meaningful import in a Nichiren context, since the Primordial Buddha of the Lotus Sutra, of Nichiren's interpretation of the Lotus Sutra, is not necessarily Mahāvairocana. There is not necessarily overlap across sectarian lines. Particularly when certain parties want to force doctrines originating outside of the Lotus Sutra on Nichiren practitioners.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:28 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

It was in the Nichiren subforum. Mahāvairocana is not necessarily a figure of any meaningful import in a Nichiren context, since the Primordial Buddha of the Lotus Sutra, of Nichiren's interpretation of the Lotus Sutra, is not necessarily Mahāvairocana. There is not necessarily overlap across sectarian lines. Particularly when certain parties want to force doctrines originating outside of the Lotus Sutra on Nichiren practitioners.

Unless I missed something (totally possible I didn't see the whole thread), I didn't see that. What I saw was that most people in the thread (including me) didn't actually know what the Lotus schools (or just Nichiren) thought about a Primordial Buddha, or at least it wasn't clear. IN that environment, what wouldn't come across as preachy? Just saying, if you want to accuse people of proselytizing, I'd be interested to know what ideas they were supposedly trying to overrule - as I personally never saw said ideas presented in the first place. :shrug:
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:33 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Unless I missed something, I didn't see that. What I saw was that most people in the thread (including me) didn't actually know what the Lotus schools (or just Nichiren) thought about a Primordial Buddha, or at least it wasn't clear. IN that environment, what wouldn't come across as preachy? Just saying, if you want to accuse people of proselytizing, I'd be interested to know what ideas they were supposedly trying to overrule - as I personally never saw said ideas presented in the first place. :shrug:
Alas the thread is gone, as is the other thread that was deleted for the exact same reasons. It's not proselytizing so much as just individual people insisting on explaining things and understanding things purely from the POV of their particular sect, not being willing to try to evaluate the sect they don't practice in on its own terms, not theirs. Obviously it wasn't that severe or crazy because I don't think anyone got banned for it.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:44 am

The worst mistake probably was that there was original and new thinking in it. It may be that after sometime we will see those same ideas, or their derivatives, in a new publication somewhere put in the name of a known and accepted Buddhist authority?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."
(Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1.)

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:07 pm

With no disrespect meant, what exactly was "original and new thinking?"

I confess to knowing very little about East Asian Buddhism, and Nichiren in particular--my college-level Intro To Buddhism class was decades ago, and I've done very little reading on the subject since. But I didn't see anything original or new......basically, I saw a lack of clarity regarding basic Buddhist doctrine, like "beginningless samsara," or the primacy of "ignorance" as the root of all three poisons.

In truth, it's not at all unexpected to see ideas from monotheistic systems referenced in Pure Land discussions....it was common in my Intro Class, and it seems to be common in the Western world, in general. I recall discussion regarding "Self Power" and "Other Power," and comparisons to a sort of Faith in God idea. I take it this is facile thinking, and mistaken, and even the OP was clearly not advocating for any such idea or position.

The proposition that there was a state of original purity, and that desire was the cause of deviation from that state, at some point in time, seems, to me, at odds with Buddhism of all stripes, but clearly part of the Monotheistic tradition--though I think "desire" is not the root cause even in those faiths. This proposition was the "meat" of the thread, if I recall. Was that original?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:20 pm

conebeckham wrote: there was a state of original purity
There is a state of original purity. It has no temporal existence however.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote: there was a state of original purity
There is a state of original purity. It has no temporal existence however.
Yes. Operative word being "was"--

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Clearly, people were interested in this topic.

For the record, I pulled the plug on the topic because in reviewing it, there was little substance, a lot of sniping, and it looked mired at a base level of discussion.

I will clean it up and repost. Depending on how it looks after pruning, it may go into the East Asian, or possibly Mahayana forum... we will see.

Send the hate mail for heavy handed modding my way.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:07 pm

By popular demand... As I was reviewing the thread, I realized, it actually was a pretty good discussion, except where things got snipey. Even when they veered into meta and ad hom territory, it didn't go so far off course and generally got rectified in due course. I did lop some of the posts at the end off.

So... "Primordial Buddha" is back. (As if he ever left us.)

in the words of Big John McCarthy...

"Are you ready? Are you ready? Let's get it on."

phpBB [video]
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”