environmental friendly worship

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

environmental friendly worship

Postby Fortyeightvows » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:54 am

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3059406

Rather then offering at every different shrine, the while temple will have one burner.
I really don't think it's good myself. But in the case of longshan it will likely make it easier to visit since sometimes you can't even move because of all the people.

rory

Re: environmental friendly worship

Postby rory » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3059406

Rather then offering at every different shrine, the while temple will have one burner.
I really don't think it's good myself. But in the case of longshan it will likely make it easier to visit since sometimes you can't even move because of all the people.

I don't like it either, when a Fo Guang Shan temple opened in my area I was quite excited. I couldn't wait to offer incense clouds, see the beautiful statues etc..well the building is very spare and modern. There is just one big Buddha and 1 side altar of Kshitigarbha. No Amita no Guanyin and finally no incense at all.........*sob*
in those days it meant a lot as I didn't have much of an altar, now thanks to my kind Pure Land (Jodo) sect I have a beautiful one with a golden Amita, incense, flowers, rice everything so I'm fine, but I agree this tendency to streamline, modernize, omit will take all the beauty and how we use our senses out of worship.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58

sillyrabbit

Postby sillyrabbit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 am

This is good if it improves air quality in the region. Flowers and scented candles can still engage the olfactory senses.
Namo Amitabha Buddha
:hug:

Fortyeightvows

Postby Fortyeightvows » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:04 am

If folks are worried about air quality, I think that incense and even paper for that matter is the least of the problem. That's probably just as true in monga as it is anywhere else.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”