Hua-Yen in English

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sentient Light

Re: Hua-Yen in English

Post by Sentient Light » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm

For some reason, "one-cut" means "all/sarva" in Chinese. I don't know why though. I inquired as to this in the language subforum.

For instance, afaik, 一切法空 = sarvadharmanairātmya = all dharmāḥ without self-essence
Random guess...

It probably etymologically relates to a turn-of-phrase similar to "one fell swoop". For instance, in Vietnamese, you might occasionally say a phrase like "hết không" to mean "all", but the words mean "(practically all) (nothing/zero)." Transliterated, it'd be like saying "almost zero" to say... well, the opposite. In practice, it actually translates more like, "everything with no remainder." So my gut feeling is that "one cut" comes from a similar place as like, "struck them all down with one cut", especially considering nouns are neither singular or plural in Chinese (or Vietnamese), so there's little reason to qualify it with "one" to begin with.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Sentient Light wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm
considering nouns are neither singular or plural in Chinese (or Vietnamese), so there's little reason to qualify it with "one" to begin with.
The "one" in "one cut" comes from the "一" in "一切".
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm
For some reason, "one-cut" means "all/sarva" in Chinese. I don't know why though. I inquired as to this in the language subforum.
I'm fairly certain that it has to do with gathering a bunch of things together in order to cut with "one cut". From there it becomes "everything" or "all". I know that sounds weird, but the second pronunciation for 切 that I quoted for you in that thread had a number of definitions that all had to do with this idea.
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”