Buddha's Lotus Flowers: Flower Symbolism in the Lotus Sutra (Reeves)

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Coëmgenu

Buddha's Lotus Flowers: Flower Symbolism in the Lotus Sutra (Reeves)

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 pm

I wasn't initially sure where I should put this.

I considered "Sūtra Studies", but this talk doesn't really deal with "Dharma" or the Buddhadharma expounded within the Lotus Sūtra, really.

It is more of a somewhat passingly interesting elaboration on the literary merits of the Lotus Sūtra (from the perspective of literary academia), which are abundant but generally not talked about in favour or speaking of the actual content of the sūtra (which, to be fair, makes sense).

I thought might be most appreciated by posters in the "East Asian Buddhism" forum.

Talk on the Lotus Sutra by Prof Gene Reeves (Part 1 of 5)
如無為、如是難見、不動、不屈、不死、無漏、覆蔭、洲渚、濟渡、依止、擁護、不流轉、離熾焰、離燒然、流通、清涼、微妙、安隱、無病、無所有、涅槃。
Like this is the uncreated, like this is that which is difficult to realize, with no moving, no bending, no dying. Utterly lacking secretions and smothered in the dark, it is the island shore. Where there is ferrying, it is the crossing. It is dependency's ceasing, it is the end of circulating transmissions. It is the exhaustion of the flame, it is the ending of the burning. Flowing openly, pure and cool, with secret subtlety, and calm occultation, lacking ailment, lacking owning, nirvāṇa.
Asaṁskṛtadharmasūtra, Sermon on the Uncreated Phenomenon, T99.224b7, Saṁyuktāgama 890

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Buddha's Lotus Flowers: Flower Symbolism in the Lotus Sutra (Reeves)

Post by Queequeg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:43 am

Finally got around to watching this.

Prof. Reeves is like a chill Mandy Patinkin.

Thanks for posting.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”