Best Translation of Bodhidharma

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ThreeVows

Best Translation of Bodhidharma

Post by ThreeVows »

Just curious if anyone has any specific recommendations for translations to get to know Bodhidharma.

On Amazon, for example, I see stuff by Red Pine, Jeffrey Broughton, Guo Gu, and Osho (though I'd probably not go for that one...).

Thoughts? I'd probably go for Red Pine if no one comments otherwise.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Best Translation of Bodhidharma

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Full disclosure, I no longer practice Zen. But when I did, I found Red Pine's translation crystal clear to understand in simple, direct language. I assume Bodhidharma wouldn't have it any other way :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

MT, Red Pine's translations are beautiful and well-annotated, but some people in the know question his grasp of classical Chinese.

For accuracy at least, I'd recommend Guo Gu, though I haven't read his translations. Guo Gu is a long term Chan practitioner and teacher, having been Ven Sheng-Yen's attendant monk and now a Professor at the Florida State Uni (Jimmy Yu).
zengarten

Post by zengarten »

Jeffrey Broughton. He is the only one separating the myth from the academic findings. And you will detect much more wisdom from the early chan practitioners, like 'bad karma' being: to think by doing good you would reap good! Broughton's findings go beyond what Pine offers.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”