Nichiren Yamabushi

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Nichiren Yamabushi

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Can somebody please provide a light on which sect does the monk on 4:19Min belongs? He seems to be a Nichiren Buddhist, and is also chanting Daimoku while doing takigyo under the waterfall, but also uses a garb that resembles that used by Yamabushi sect! What sect is this one?
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Nichiren Yamabushi

Post by narhwal90 »

I wonder if his hand mudra while chanting is characteristic? I see the Nichiren statue on his altar, perhaps thats a 4 statue configuration.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 pm I wonder if his hand mudra while chanting is characteristic? I see the Nichiren statue on his altar, perhaps thats a 4 statue configuration.
The same mudra is used in both Shinto and Yamabushi waterfall purification practices! He is chanting the daimoku and also features Nichiren Shonin in his altar, but chants Fudo mantra while blessing the devotee! Wonder from which sect he comes from?!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Beats me.. the altar has something of a DIY air, a pity there isn't a better view of it.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

May be somewhat related to the Nakayama lineage. They have ascetic practices in their training. Kanse Capon may know more. You can find him on Facebook.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”