Tiantai Meditation

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rory

Re: Tiantai Meditation

Post by rory » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 am

jake wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 pm
rory wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 pm
Chigi (Zhiyi, Chih-I) critiqued Northern and Southern Ch'an for this, he received transmission from Ox-Head Ch'an.

Read this it's an excellent article by Paul Swanson the translator of Zhiyi's great work on meditation: Maka Shikan
https://www.academia.edu/1092296/Chih-i ... _Chih-kuan
gassho
Rory
Hi Rory,

Can you explain a bit more? I don't know to what your post refers when you write: "critiqued Northern and Southern Ch'an for this."

In the abstract of the article you reference it's written:
Further, although Chih-i and Bodhidharma were contemporaries, there is no indication that their paths ever crossed. There was no “Zen school” in Chih-i’s time, at least not in the sense of the later tradition that traces its lineage through Bodhidharma. Chih-i’s comments on “Zen/ch’an” refer to dhyana meditation, or to unidentified “Zen masters” 禅師 who apparently taught a form of Buddhism that emphasized the sole practice of meditation and thus were criticized by Chih-i as proponents of an
"extreme” form of Buddhism."
How did Zhiyi receive transmission in the Ox-Head Chan if, as Swanson says, there was no "Zen School" in Zhiyi's time? Or maybe I misunderstood something? :)

Gassho Jake;
the concept of explicit Ch'an lineages was a later development, first begun in Tiantai, here is an old but excellent thread that discusses the history.
viewtopic.php?t=15672
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:34 am

To clarify a point, if I may;

Zhiyi did not receive transmission in Ox-head Chan, as the school didn't exist at that time. The school was founded by Niutou Farong 牛頭法融 (594-657). Zhiyi (538-597) may have known Farong's teacher, Dayi-Daoxin (580-651), but I can't find anything to support this, and Daoxin would have been 17 when Zhiyi died. It is also more than possible that Farong studied Tiantai, but again I can't find anything to support this, other than the knowledge that Tiantai was very influential in China and temples would often learn from each other.

However, Saicho (767-822) did indeed receive transmission in Ox-head, separate from his transmission in Tiantai. See here for more info: viewtopic.php?t=20815

rory

Post by rory » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 pm

Oops, sorry! my eye skipped a line and of course it was Saicho who received transmission from Xiuran of the Ox Head School.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/