Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Queequeg »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:36 pm No, the Buddha did NOT get stoned. But non decarbed hemp (non heated because it is the heat that causes bioavailability and gets you stoned) is still useable as an anti inflammatory medicine and for immune system toning. It was and is used in Asia and India still to this day.
So to refine your point - the fellows objecting to the idea that the Buddha may have taken cannabis for medical purposes are missing the point that it doesn't get you high.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Wicked Yeshe

Re: Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Indeed. Besides, why would someone like Lord Buddha who achieved supreme happiness sit in a hazy daze?
Georgei

Post by Georgei »

I am a legal medicinal cannabis grower, but have ceased taking in any form of THC because I just can't see how it can contribute towards my practicing Buddhism, and or especially meditation. Being stoned and trying to meditate just will not work for me.. I prefer a clear head..

A little off topic, but on the other end of the spectrum when we start thinking about psychedelics and practicing many forms of religion, I can understand an occasional cleansing or liberation of the mind.. But it raises the question if psychedelics are an obstruction to a Dharma practice, or a helpful accompaniment? Are mind-altering substances a legitimate means of personal transformation?

At this day and age, if one wants to benefit medicinally from cannabis, it is the "non intoxicating" CBD extract from the plant that is the best method.

In my humble opinion if one is smoking to get high, it seems completely contrary to any number of the Eightfold Paths laid down by Buddha.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”