Emanations in East Asian Buddhism

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tingdzin

Emanations in East Asian Buddhism

Post by tingdzin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm

In Tibetan Buddhism, there is the idea of "emanations" -- that some people "emanate" from higher realms or states of beings into the human world (perhaps related to but not the same as the Tibetan tulkus, the human nirmanakayas who take successive births, seemingly a distinctive feature of Tibetan Dharma). It is said, for example, that Tsongkhapa was an emanation of Manjusri and Khenpo Ngawang was an emanation of Vimalamitra.

Does East Asian Buddhism (Chinese, Koreean, etc.) have similar usages? If so, how common are they?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Emanations in East Asian Buddhism

Post by Queequeg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Some great teachers in East Asia are said to be emanations of great beings. However, its a feature that as far as I know is not as developed as you find in the Indo-Tibetan traditions.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Varis

Post by Varis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:27 pm

Buddhas emanate according to the needs of sentient beings, therefore all schools of Mahayana will have had emanations within them.
There is no institution for the recognition of emanations in EA Buddhism like in Tibetan Buddhism, but plenty of past masters have been regarded as emanations of Buddhas and reincarnations of past masters.

Varis

Post by Varis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:15 pm

It would appear I was beat to the punch! :tongue:

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Yes, there are emanations, but it's typically discovered post-humously, with a certain number of criteria for 'evidence,' one of which is the leaving behind of relics. I can't recall the other criteria. There are two kinds of nirmanakaya manifestations too, one where a being is purely an emanation, with no record of birth, and the other kind is an emanation that manifests the appearance of birth and death.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”