Emanations in East Asian Buddhism

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tingdzin

Emanations in East Asian Buddhism

Post by tingdzin »

In Tibetan Buddhism, there is the idea of "emanations" -- that some people "emanate" from higher realms or states of beings into the human world (perhaps related to but not the same as the Tibetan tulkus, the human nirmanakayas who take successive births, seemingly a distinctive feature of Tibetan Dharma). It is said, for example, that Tsongkhapa was an emanation of Manjusri and Khenpo Ngawang was an emanation of Vimalamitra.

Does East Asian Buddhism (Chinese, Koreean, etc.) have similar usages? If so, how common are they?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Emanations in East Asian Buddhism

Post by Queequeg »

Some great teachers in East Asia are said to be emanations of great beings. However, its a feature that as far as I know is not as developed as you find in the Indo-Tibetan traditions.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Varis

Post by Varis »

Buddhas emanate according to the needs of sentient beings, therefore all schools of Mahayana will have had emanations within them.
There is no institution for the recognition of emanations in EA Buddhism like in Tibetan Buddhism, but plenty of past masters have been regarded as emanations of Buddhas and reincarnations of past masters.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
Varis

Post by Varis »

It would appear I was beat to the punch! :tongue:
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Yes, there are emanations, but it's typically discovered post-humously, with a certain number of criteria for 'evidence,' one of which is the leaving behind of relics. I can't recall the other criteria. There are two kinds of nirmanakaya manifestations too, one where a being is purely an emanation, with no record of birth, and the other kind is an emanation that manifests the appearance of birth and death.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Members of the Chinese traditions (especially Ch'an) tend to criticize Tibetans for the public recognition of reincarnations. I got the sense that doing such a thing will only lead to inflated egos, and so it is not often done publicly. Although often there are rumors within the inner circles that the master may be a reincarnation of such and such master from the past, but practitioners are taught not to dwell on such things as it will only breed delusion. (Also why people are discouraged from talking about practitioners who have attained siddhis.)

About emanations... I've never heard of this in Chinese tradition. But some people are said to have strong connection with a certain buddha or bodhisattva (or sutra) and express their buddha activity.
pael

Post by pael »

They celebrate parinirvana of Hsuan Hua and call him Bodhisattva.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

In Tibet indeed, some kids for any reason are recognized as nirmanakaya or tulku in Tibetan.. in Japan it is said about some masteres to be ikihotoke - living buddha, but they deserve it due to their achievments [it does not mean mundane achievments like position or abbotship etc.], merit, and power of guidance... so first they have to show some quality, then people will talk about them ikihotoke - living buddha.. but meaning is for sure different than tulku.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:49 am About emanations... I've never heard of this in Chinese tradition.
Budai being an emanation of Maitreya Bodhisattva is quite possibly the most famous emanation known the world over. I think it's also worth mentioning that the popular feminized version of Guanyin is at least partially based on the likeness of Princess Miao Shan, who was said to be one of her emanations. In Vietnam, a woman named Thi Kinh is also recognized as an emanation of Avalokitesvrara. I also believe Shandao was considered to be an emanation of Amitabha. There's definitely a handful more I know of, but can't quite recall off the top of my head.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Sentient Light wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:26 pm
SilenceMonkey wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:49 am About emanations... I've never heard of this in Chinese tradition.
Budai being an emanation of Maitreya Bodhisattva is quite possibly the most famous emanation known the world over. I think it's also worth mentioning that the popular feminized version of Guanyin is at least partially based on the likeness of Princess Miao Shan, who was said to be one of her emanations. In Vietnam, a woman named Thi Kinh is also recognized as an emanation of Avalokitesvrara. I also believe Shandao was considered to be an emanation of Amitabha. There's definitely a handful more I know of, but can't quite recall off the top of my head.
When did Ven Zhiyi start becoming associated with one of the bodhisattva figures in the Lotus Sūtra? Is that strictly a Japanese belief?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Since bodhisattvas that have attained certain bhumis are capable of emanation, and since the system of bhumis is canonical in most East Asian systems (though not much discussed), then by definition there are practitioners out there who are emanations of arya bodhisattvas. The Tibetan system of recognition is a cultural artefact, which attracts a considerable amount of criticism. If no system of recognition existed you would still have exactly the same number of emanations in the world.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hanshan deqing is by many seen as having been an emanation of manjushri.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Reincarnation of Bodhisattva Jogyo and the Establishment of True Buddhism
From the time he was twelve until he turned thirty-two, Rencho strived to master the fundamental truth of Buddhism so that he could accomplish his conviction to save all living beings. He learned, as stated in the Daijuku Sutra, that:

…the first five hundred years after the Buddha’s passing will be the age of enlightenment, and the next five hundred years, the age of meditation (making one thousand years). The next five hundred years will be an age of reading, reciting and listening, and the next
five hundred years, the age of building temples and stupas (making two thousand years). Concerning the next five hundred years after that, he says, “Quarrels and disputes will arise among the adherents to my teachings, and the Pure Law will become obscured and lost.” (“The Selection of Time”, M.W., Vol. 3, p. 85)

He also became convinced that the “the Lotus Sutra is the greatest of all the Buddha’s teachings” as stated in the Hosshi (tenth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra. Also Rencho realized that of all the teachings of Buddhism, the Law that should be propagated throughout Mappo is the five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo, the heart of the Lotus Sutra. These facts were clearly predicted and proven in the Lotus Sutra. It is through the propagation of this vital Law of Myoho-Renge-Kyo, where the mission of the True and Original Buddha and the leader of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth, Bodhisattva Jogyo, rests. Realizing that he had to save this corrupt world, he became convinced that he, himself, was Bodhisattva Jogyo.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Naong Hyegeun (1320~1376)
Master Naong lived at a time of much upheaval at the end of the Goryeo Dynasty. Together with Taego Bou, he is regarded as a great Master who helped lay the foundation for the Buddhism in the Joseon era. His dharma name is Hyegeun, his ordination name is Naong, and he also went by the name Gangwolheon, following the name of the room where he stayed for many years. He had the title of “Bojejonja” when he served as a royal monk and was given the posthumous title Seongak.
It is also important to note that Naong’s way was not to employ difficult dogma, but rather he pulled at heartstrings, appealing to people’s sensitivity using popular language through poems and songs in order to save all beings. This aspect of the Master’s spreading the strong feeling of enlightenment to the masses earned him great respect extending into the Joseon dynasty, and it was said that he must have been a reincarnation of Shakyamuni Buddha.
Although perhaps more poetic than spiritual or literal ....
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Prince Shotoku
The most important Asuka ruler was Shotoku Taishi (born in 574, ruled 593-622). Regarded as the "father of Japanese Buddhism," he made Buddhism the state religion by constructing major Buddhist temples such as Horyu-ji near Nara.
Shotoku Taishi (Prince Shotoku) is one of the best-know figures of Japanese history. Sometimes called the founder of the Japanese nation ....
“A key element that helped to effectively fallowed the smooth promotion of Shotoku worship as a Buddhist figure was through the honji sujaku context of the medieval period. Shotoku worship evolved further through the legends that now portrayed Shotoku not only as a powerful kami, but also as a reincarnation of Tendai Eshi, as a manifestation of bodhisattva Kannon, and later, as Amida Buddha and even Shinran himself(Shinran was a monk who spent twenty years of religious training at Mount Hiei after which he apprenticed under his master Honen, who took Shinran on as his apprentice to learn the senju nenbutsu teaching).

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Another perspective... Sometimes current living masters are said to be reincarnations of famous masters from the past. But often these rumors are discouraged because it would cause people to respect teachers based on who they might have been in a past life instead of on the merit of their teachings.

It's not technically "emanations," but it seems related.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

One popular example of emanations in East Asian Buddhism would be Miao Shan, she offered he eyes and arms to make a medicine for her father and was later revealed that she was actually a bodhisattva.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/香山寶卷
There is a link to an english translation on the bottom.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

It’s not Tibetan or East Asians. It’s what the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas do!
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”