Buddhahood of Insentient Beings Exclusively East-Asian?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Buddhahood of Insentient Beings Exclusively East-Asian?

Post by Malcolm »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pmFurther, "everything is true" is valid because the Bhagavan explains the invariable characteristic of the absence of I and mine as knowable in order to abandon the afflictive obscuration.
All in all, it offers an elegant solution, but if I may nitpick this one point:

The commentary says "everything is true" because the Buddha explains the invariable characteristic of absence.

Is this really an example of "everything is true"? Is the invariance of this characteristic of everything the same thing as everything being "true" in and of itself? And if the invariance is the only thing that is true, when why say "everything" is true?
It is true that everything lacks a self. That is the truth of everything.

Incidentally, we can call this a catuṣkoti; but we cannot call it a tetralemma, because one is not forced to pick one of these four alternatives. For example, a dilemma is where one must choose two different choices, one to the exclusion of the other.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pmFurther, "everything is true" is valid because the Bhagavan explains the invariable characteristic of the absence of I and mine as knowable in order to abandon the afflictive obscuration.
All in all, it offers an elegant solution, but if I may nitpick this one point:

The commentary says "everything is true" because the Buddha explains the invariable characteristic of absence.

Is this really an example of "everything is true"? Is the invariance of this characteristic of everything the same thing as everything being "true" in and of itself? And if the invariance is the only thing that is true, when why say "everything" is true?
It is true that everything is false. That is what I'm seeing that as, essentially.

It's coherent, but it's not really "everything is true". It's "everything is untrue is true".
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 pm All in all, it offers an elegant solution, but if I may nitpick this one point:

It is true that everything is false. That is what I'm seeing that as, essentially.

It's coherent, but it's not really "everything is true". It's "everything is untrue is true".

You are missing the broader point here: which is the abandonment of the afflictive obscuration that results from imputing a self onto conventionally valid phenomena.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pmIncidentally, we can call this a catuṣkoti; but we cannot call it a tetralemma, because one is not forced to pick one of these four alternatives. For example, a dilemma is where one must choose two different choices, one to the exclusion of the other.
Then why do we call the so-called "negative tetralemma" a tetralemma?

We don't choose one of these options from the list:

nasvato
nāpiparato
nadvābhyāṃ
nāpyahetutaḥ

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pmIncidentally, we can call this a catuṣkoti; but we cannot call it a tetralemma, because one is not forced to pick one of these four alternatives. For example, a dilemma is where one must choose two different choices, one to the exclusion of the other.
Then why do we call the so-called "negative tetralemma" a tetralemma?

We don't choose one of these options from the list:

nasvato
nāpiparato
nadvābhyāṃ
nāpyahetutaḥ
We do so because long ago a western translator was struggling for a term to describe a four-fold negation, and that is what he or she came up with. :broke:
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 pm :broke:
:crying:

So I googled lemma to make sure I knew what it was back when you told me the "positive tetralemma" was not a tetralemma.

Google said "a subsidiary or intermediate theorem in an argument or proof."

Are you sure that you need to choose one of the presented lemmata in a dilemma, trilemma, or tetralemma?

Because the "negative tetralemma" can be considered to be four subsidiary or intermediate theoremata in an argument or proof that is not contained in the four subsidiary arguments. Namely that these four negative arguments "prove" emptiness.

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

This is a very long article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on Tiantai Buddhism that is quite thorough and good: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/buddhism-tiantai/

It showed me that the whole concept of the Buddhanature of insentient beings is soemthing more of a rhetorical device or a logical trick to that further illustrates true insight being beyond dualistic discriminations (or descriptive language for that matter). For each argument, there is an inversion that is equally valid yet seemingly diametrically opposed. It is less a radical doctrine, and more an encouragement to remain mindful of the great complexity of conditioned relationships composing the emptiness experienced as realms and beings.
The controversial idea of “the Buddha-nature of insentient beings” is developed by Zhanran in his Jingangpi using a slightly different approach to the Three Truths, focusing on the trope of space as advanced as a metaphor for Buddha-nature in the Mahāyāna Nirvana Sutra, in its character of all-pervasiveness, ineradicability, and indivisibility, and the non-different/non-identical relation of all regions of space to each other and of each region of space to whatever possible object can occupy it. But here too the central argument is the inseparable intersubsumption of the two opposite terms: sentience is always insentience-sentience, insentience is always sentience-insentience.

One way to think about this is to consider a magnet. It has a north and a south “pole” to it. If we wanted to separate the north from the south pole, we might try cutting it in half. But when we do so, we find that each half still has both a north and a south pole. No matter how many times we slice it, the total set of different characteristics pertaining to the whole are also found in that separate part: northness and southness are, in their entirety, found in what was formerly, in the context of the whole magnet, purely the north part, and also in the former south part. This is how it is in the Tiantai universe: the universe is one big magnet, but instead of just a north and a south, it has 3000 different characteristic aspects: meness, youness, trains, oceans, dogs, soups, historical incidents, smiles, tears, delusion, enlightenment. If we try to isolate any of these, however, what we end up with is another entire “magnet”, which also has all 3000 aspects to it: this meness, it turns out, also has its youness part, its train part, its ocean part, its dog part, and so on. When I face you, it is you-and-me facing you-and-me. It is me-and-all-worlds facing all-worlds-and-me. It is the entire universe facing the entire universe. We are always different, because wherever we go, there is a you and a me, two different aspects, never merging into a blank indifferent mush of a single quality. But since me-and-you is contrasted to me-and-you, there is really no contrast at all: the same thing is found on both sides of the contrast. We are neither the same nor different. We are divided from ourselves, impossible to unify into a simple unity, but for that very reason we are impossible to separate from one another. Each of us, at each moment, are, in a word, absolute, the Center as which all appears, and which is appearing in and as all things. All things are our transformation bodies, we are the transformation body of all things.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sentient Light wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:19 pm This is a very long article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on Tiantai Buddhism that is quite thorough and good: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/buddhism-tiantai/

It showed me that the whole concept of the Buddhanature of insentient beings
If you read the Critical Buddhist folks, they are convinced that doctrines like this are completely outside of pale of Buddhadharma and open the doorway to all kinds of deviations.

With respect to Zhanran's blanket identification of buddhadhātu with suchness, this presents some critical problems as well, not least of which is that BNI categorically denied in the Nirvana Sūtra, despite his attempt to justify it based on the same sūtra.
passel

Post by passel »

CB folks see original enlightenment (hongaku) and b.n. of the insentient as Panglossian justifications for fascism. You can see that tendency in Han Fei Tzu's Legalist "commentary" on the Dao de Jing- Accord w the Dao, just do your job or you'll get beheaded, by someone in accord with the Dao.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

passel wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:18 pm CB folks see original enlightenment (hongaku) and b.n. of the insentient as Panglossian justifications for fascism.
Yes, their critique has echoes of Adorno.

Another interesting thing they do is try to show is that Dogen had a change of heart and rejected hongaku and BNI late in his life.
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 pm
Sentient Light wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:19 pm This is a very long article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on Tiantai Buddhism that is quite thorough and good: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/buddhism-tiantai/

It showed me that the whole concept of the Buddhanature of insentient beings
If you read the Critical Buddhist folks, they are convinced that doctrines like this are completely outside of pale of Buddhadharma and open the doorway to all kinds of deviations.

With respect to Zhanran's blanket identification of buddhadhātu with suchness, this presents some critical problems as well, not least of which is that BNI categorically denied in the Nirvana Sūtra, despite his attempt to justify it based on the same sūtra.
If you take them too seriously then apperently “Original Awakening” causes the downfall of societies and will drown your puppies. And that anything related to Tathagatagarbha is non definitive Hindu doctrine snuck into Buddhism.
passel

Post by passel »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:37 pm
passel wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:18 pm CB folks see original enlightenment (hongaku) and b.n. of the insentient as Panglossian justifications for fascism.
Yes, their critique has echoes of Adorno.

Another interesting thing they do is try to show is that Dogen had a change of heart and rejected hongaku and BNI late in his life.
I’ll keep an eye out for that. Nice of them to attempt to salvage Dogen!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Noriaki cites this example, from the Shōbōgenzō shizen bhikkhu, as presented in Pruning the Bodhi Tree, pg. 123:
Some people say that, because the enlightenment of the Buddhas and Tathagatas encompass the whole world, even a speck of dust manifests that enlightenment. Because that enlightenment encompasses both subject and the object, mountains, rivers, earth, sun, moon, stars, and the four illusions and three poisons express it as well. To see mountains and rivers is to see the Tathagathas, and the four illusions and three poisons are the Buddha-dharma. To see a speck of dust is to see the dharma-dhatu and each spontaneous act is a manifestation of supreme enlightenment. They say this is the great understanding and call it a Patriarchal transmission. In latter-day Sung China, those who subscribe to this view are as numerous as rice plants, hemp. bamboo, and reeds. Their [religious] lineage is unknown, but it is clear they do not understand Buddhism.
All and all an interesting book, quite relevant to the present discussion.
passel

Post by passel »

When you try to use poetry as law, you wind up in an asura world, with a a few nervous gods waiting for the end in gated communities. All enrichment no sustenance. When you try to use law as poetry, you just get a world full of hungry ghosts. All sustenance no nourishment.

It doesn't seem too different form the mu/u endless non-debate, or emptiness v luminosity/ 2nd v 3rd turning. Was it Jamgon Kongtrul who said that Madhyamaka is great for winning debates (and administration I'd add), but Yogacara is better when you go into retreat. Sometimes you have to chose between accuracy of description and evocativeness of description. Better when you get to use both! Just don't ask one to do the job of the other.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Time out...

Update. A number of posts have been removed, and some inflammatory quips have been trimmed from the remaining posts. The thread will stay locked unless requested it be reopened to add something to topic.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”