What a buddhist tradition did you choose and why?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mirror

What a buddhist tradition did you choose and why?

Post by Mirror » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Hello, I'm looking for the right buddhist tradition for me and I can't decide, so pleas help me by answering to my question. Thank you for everything!

Miroku

Re: What a buddhist tradition did you choose and why?

Post by Miroku » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Mirror wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 pm
Hello, I'm looking for the right buddhist tradition for me and I can't decide, so pleas help me by answering to my question. Thank you for everything!
There was a nice discussion topic that we should not choose tradition but a teacher. So yeah. After few years studying under ChNN I realized it does not connect to me so easy and was still searching for sth until I found Garchen Rinpoche and later on my lama and I realized that Drikung Kagyu kinda clicked with me. But it is important to find a good teacher, so search for a teacher, maybe study a little different traditions and you will think "oh gelug approach seems very interesting, or sakya approach is good too" but in the end it is about finding a teacher you can trust. So if you find some tradition interesting lookg for a teacher you could trust in that tradition. Teacher is like a parent and tradition is a family tree. You cannot belong to a family if you do not have a parent who brings you into it (bad metaphor but you get me right?). So find a qualified teacher!
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Knotty Veneer

Re: What a buddhist tradition did you choose and why?

Post by Knotty Veneer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Mirror wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 pm
I think the important thing is join a legittimate tradition. Most important though is finding a good Sangha, a supportive group of good people who can help you advance your practice. Lastly, you need a group ideally that is convenient to where you live if at all possible. I think for most people if they find a good center of a proper tradition (i.e. not a cult) that one can attend regularly, the exact tradition is not so important first off.
“If you are going to put people on pedestals, at least wear a big hat” - Jake Thackray.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”