I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Grigoris » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 pm

...any tips for temples to visit?

Anybody in Vietnam wanting to meet up?

I will be there for the United Nations Vesak Day conference representing Greece.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
SunWuKong
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Contact:

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Sentient Light
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Pacifica, California

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Sentient Light » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm

It is more folk religion-y, but there's a temple near Hoan Kiem Lake called Turtle Temple, where the preserved body of a large softshell turtle is kept. We have a legend about a turtle god in the lake appearing at different points in Vietnamese history, most famously to give a magical sword to the peasant Le Loi, who would become king after using the sword to push back Imperial Chinese forces.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Grigoris » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Sentient Light wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm
It is more folk religion-y, but there's a temple near Hoan Kiem Lake called Turtle Temple, where the preserved body of a large softshell turtle is kept. We have a legend about a turtle god in the lake appearing at different points in Vietnamese history, most famously to give a magical sword to the peasant Le Loi, who would become king after using the sword to push back Imperial Chinese forces.
What is the Vietnamese name for the temple?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Sentient Light
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Pacifica, California

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Sentient Light » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 pm
Sentient Light wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm
It is more folk religion-y, but there's a temple near Hoan Kiem Lake called Turtle Temple, where the preserved body of a large softshell turtle is kept. We have a legend about a turtle god in the lake appearing at different points in Vietnamese history, most famously to give a magical sword to the peasant Le Loi, who would become king after using the sword to push back Imperial Chinese forces.
What is the Vietnamese name for the temple?
Đền Ngọc Sơn, 'Temple of the Jade Mountain.' I think 'Turtle Temple' must be a colloquialism.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Grigoris » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Sentient Light wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:53 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 pm
Sentient Light wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm
It is more folk religion-y, but there's a temple near Hoan Kiem Lake called Turtle Temple, where the preserved body of a large softshell turtle is kept. We have a legend about a turtle god in the lake appearing at different points in Vietnamese history, most famously to give a magical sword to the peasant Le Loi, who would become king after using the sword to push back Imperial Chinese forces.
What is the Vietnamese name for the temple?
Đền Ngọc Sơn, 'Temple of the Jade Mountain.' I think 'Turtle Temple' must be a colloquialism.
Thank you! :smile: i was planning to go there.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Brunelleschi
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Brunelleschi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:50 pm

A good representative. :thumbsup: Vietnam has some cool national parks if you're into "nature".

User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Grigoris » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Brunelleschi wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:50 pm
A good representative. :thumbsup: Vietnam has some cool national parks if you're into "nature".
I love nature, unfortunately I will not be that long in Vietnam. Luckily the conference organisers have got a two day tour prepared for us to see Ninh Binh.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Nyedrag Yeshe
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Brazil

Re: I will be in Hanoi, Vietnam next month...

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe » Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm

It's confucian in nature, but I think The Temple of Literature or Văn Miếu, is a mandatory visit for Honoi!
Image
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Post Reply

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests