the goddess Amaterasu...but why a goddess?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

the goddess Amaterasu...but why a goddess?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Usually solar deitys are male, but Amaterasu is a goddess. Why?
PeterC

Re: the goddess Amaterasu...but why a goddess?

Post by PeterC »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am Usually solar deitys are male, but Amaterasu is a goddess. Why?
the sky-father / earth-mother pairing is hypothesized to originate with proto-indo-european beliefs. The reconstructed pair is labelled Dyeus and Dhegom by academics. If that theory is correct, then all the other sky-father figures derived from or were influenced by these beliefs. (I'm not familiar enough with the research to say how solid this theory is, btw.) Shinto derives from a different source - supposedly native Japanese beliefs, but wherever the raw materials came from, it was a long way away
PSM

Post by PSM »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am Usually solar deitys are male, but Amaterasu is a goddess. Why?
Solar (red) is female in Buddhism in general, especially tantric Buddhism. Lunar (white) is male.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

Because the Japanese were matriarchal until the Chinese showed up and pointed out that women are inferior.

Where does life come from? The womb. What do men do? Stick there sticks in people and things for pleasure and gain. Which is the more impressive feat?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

PeterC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 am the sky-father / earth-mother pairing is hypothesized to originate with proto-indo-european beliefs. The reconstructed pair is labelled Dyeus and Dhegom by academics. If that theory is correct, then all the other sky-father figures derived from or were influenced by these beliefs. (I'm not familiar enough with the research to say how solid this theory is, btw.) Shinto derives from a different source - supposedly native Japanese beliefs, but wherever the raw materials came from, it was a long way away
Sky father & earth mother.
Water comes from the sky and then things grow.
PSM wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am Solar (red) is female in Buddhism in general, especially tantric Buddhism. Lunar (white) is male.
But Vairocana is male...
Pretty sure that both Suryaprabha and Candraprabha are female
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 pm
PeterC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 am the sky-father / earth-mother pairing is hypothesized to originate with proto-indo-european beliefs. The reconstructed pair is labelled Dyeus and Dhegom by academics. If that theory is correct, then all the other sky-father figures derived from or were influenced by these beliefs. (I'm not familiar enough with the research to say how solid this theory is, btw.) Shinto derives from a different source - supposedly native Japanese beliefs, but wherever the raw materials came from, it was a long way away
Take it up with Zeus, Indra, Yahweh and the rest of the crowd...
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

PeterC wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 am Take it up with Zeus, Indra, Yahweh and the rest of the crowd...
Sorry, I don't get your meaning.
Those deitys you names are all sky-fathers.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:35 am
PeterC wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 am Take it up with Zeus, Indra, Yahweh and the rest of the crowd...
Sorry, I don't get your meaning.
Those deitys you names are all sky-fathers.
You asked at the start of the thread why Amaterasu is a goddess when sky deities are usually male. My explanation was: different traditions, the "usually male" is hypothesized to be because the majority of them originated from the same source, but Amaterasu came from a different cultural background. That's why she's the exception. Apologies if I was unclear.
PSM

Post by PSM »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 pm
PSM wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am Solar (red) is female in Buddhism in general, especially tantric Buddhism. Lunar (white) is male.
But Vairocana is male...
Pretty sure that both Suryaprabha and Candraprabha are female
From Robert Beer's Handbook of Tibetan Buddhist Symbols:
sunmoon.JPG
sunmoon.JPG (26.34 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Yes, white and red for male and female of course.
But I think when a person thinks of solar deity they think of Vairocana
PSM

Post by PSM »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am Yes, white and red for male and female of course.
But I think when a person thinks of solar deity they think of Vairocana
Not Amitabha?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

PSM wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 am Not Amitabha?
Vairocana when they translate it is literally ‘great sun tataghata’

But now that you mention it, that would make sense with Amitabha, it is just rare that I see or hear Amitabha translated, so it didn’t come to mind.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

My sense of Amitabha, being red, in the West, is that he is the setting sun. Vairocana being bright and associated with white, is the noon day sun.

But again, Amaterasu is female because everything comes from the divine feminine. Japanese were matriarchal, ruled by female shaman priestesses.

Many modern Shintoists won't acknowledge this because... men.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm My sense of Amitabha, being red, in the West, is that he is the setting sun. Vairocana being bright and associated with white, is the noon day sun.

But again, Amaterasu is female because everything comes from the divine feminine. Japanese were matriarchal, ruled by female shaman priestesses.

The Confucianization of Shinto.
savi saghara aṇica di, savi saghara dukha di, savi dhama aṇatva di:
yada paśadi cakhkṣuma tada nivinadi dukha eṣo mago viśodhia.

"All formations are inconstant," he said.
"All formations are stressful," he said.
"All phenomena are selfless," he said.
When one sees this, one becomes adverse to stress, and this is the path of purity.

(Gāndhārī Dharmapada fragments)
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

Caoimhghín wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm My sense of Amitabha, being red, in the West, is that he is the setting sun. Vairocana being bright and associated with white, is the noon day sun.

The Confucianization of Shinto.
Yeah.

This whole modern Shinto is... I won't say.

They claim they're getting back to the real Japanese roots, but then they fail to exorcize the clear Chinese influences. Just to take some current events to analyze this...

So the new Emperor's reign is called Reiwa, which is supposedly drawn from the Manyoshu, one of the earliest Japanese texts, a collection of Japanese poems. This is a departure from the past practices which drew on Chinese poetry and writing. But, the Manyoshu itself appears to be poetry written in the Chinese custom... And then, the whole resistance to having an Empress... Because they won't let a woman ascend the throne, the next in line after the current emperor is his brother, a crypto-Christian. They'd rather have a crypto-Christian become the Emperor, to occupy the throne that is an unbroken line from Amaterasu Omi Kami, the position of high priest of Shinto, than have a woman.

Its quite ridiculous the lengths the Japanese nationalists will go to keep up their ideas.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

My sense of Amitabha, being red, in the West, is that he is the setting sun. Vairocana being bright and associated with white, is the noon day sun.
:good:

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”