Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

JazzIsTvRicky

Re: Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:34 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:I would like to discuss my findings within the body of Nichiren's Teachings which are available and widely read in this 'The Latter Day of The Law', and the meaning of 'Faith' as taught by Nichiren. I believe that the recitation of Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is 'Simply Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' exclusively without any other recitation or chant. Including, the recitation of any part or whole of the Lotus Sutra as taught by Shakyamuni Buddha. Gongyo is not mentioned by Nichiren but was introduced by later Priest of Nichiren Buddhist Sects.

Sincerely, JazzIs, A Votary of The Lotus Sutra
Point is: this is wrong. This has been demonstrated multiple times by multiple people. "JazzIs" will claim that he has "proven" without a doubt that his thesis is true, but he was systematically failed every single time to defend his beliefs when confronted with hard evidence to the contrary. The thread itself is final evidence of that.

Nichiren suggests exclusive chant of the title for some people. As evidenced numerous times. This does not, at all, affect or strengthen the OP's thesis, which is based on exclusive chanting of the sūtra title, with all other practice and inquiry into the Lotus Sūtra discouraged as a chanting practice.

Nichiren does mention gongyō, in this evidence put forth, which was dismissed and ignored by the OP:
Queequeg wrote:勤行 gongyo

善戒経云。若無菩薩性者。雖復発心勤行精進雖復発心懃修精進。終不能得阿耨菩提

From Chu Hokkekyo, Nichiren's annotated Lotus Sutra.
That is all essentially anyone needs to know about this entire thread.

I feel that this clarification is important for the education of new users who may be unfamiliar with the Buddhism espoused on this subforum. Does DharmaWheel have a protocol to enforce accuracy when misinformation is repeatedly spread?

:shrug: This is what you offer?

When the Sun Rises-Darkness Reveals Itself :woohoo:

Is this a joke or have you just given up? :shrug:

Nichiren Teaches

"Contamination at the source of a river will pollute its entire length. Because of this, the Land of the Sun has had a long, dark night, and the Sun Tree is now about to be blighted by an alien frost.

Although you were not in the mainstream of the True Word school, you were still a retainer of a patron of that teaching. You lived for many years in a house whose family was devoted to an erroneous doctrine, and month after month your mind was infected by the teachers of error.

Though huge mountains may crumble and the great seas dry up, this offense of yours will not easily pass away.

However, because of the influence of karmic bonds and the compassion with which you are imbued in this lifetime, you met me, a priest of humble learning, when you least expected it, and determined to reform your ways.

Therefore, though at the moment your offense has brought on these boils from which you suffer, in the future you will be spared worse suffering.

King Ajātashatru suffered from severe boils because he committed the five cardinal sins and slandered the correct teaching. But his boils disappeared instantly when the light produced by the Buddha’s moon-loving meditation illuminated his body.

And, though it had been predicted that the king had only twenty-one days left to live, his life span was extended by forty years.

In deep appreciation, he earnestly requested one thousand arhats to record the golden words of the Buddha’s entire lifetime, thus spreading the Buddha’s teachings into the ages of the Former, Middle, and Latter Days of the Law.

Your boils have resulted from only one offense—slandering the correct teaching.

The Mystic Law you now embrace surpasses the moon-loving meditation. How then could your boils possibly not be healed and your life span not extended?

If these words of mine prove untrue, you should shout: “The Buddha, the eye of the entire world, is a great liar, and the Lotus, the wonderful sutra of the single vehicle, is a scripture of clever flourishes.

The World-Honored One should give me proof if he cares about his good name.

All the sages and worthies should come to protect me if they do not want to be false to their vows.”

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1 ... 76#para-11

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I love ❤️ Teaching The Law!

Coëmgenu

Postby Coëmgenu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 am

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:I would like to discuss my findings within the body of Nichiren's Teachings which are available and widely read in this 'The Latter Day of The Law', and the meaning of 'Faith' as taught by Nichiren. I believe that the recitation of Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is 'Simply Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' exclusively without any other recitation or chant. Including, the recitation of any part or whole of the Lotus Sutra as taught by Shakyamuni Buddha. Gongyo is not mentioned by Nichiren but was introduced by later Priest of Nichiren Buddhist Sects.

Sincerely, JazzIs, A Votary of The Lotus Sutra
Point is: this is wrong. This has been demonstrated multiple times by multiple people. "JazzIs" will claim that he has "proven" without a doubt that his thesis is true, but he was systematically failed every single time to defend his beliefs when confronted with hard evidence to the contrary. The thread itself is final evidence of that.

Nichiren suggests exclusive chant of the title for some people. As evidenced numerous times. This does not, at all, affect or strengthen the OP's thesis, which is based on exclusive chanting of the sūtra title, with all other practice and inquiry into the Lotus Sūtra discouraged as a chanting practice.

Nichiren does mention gongyō, in this evidence put forth, which was dismissed and ignored by the OP:

That is all essentially anyone needs to know about this entire thread.

I feel that this clarification is important for the education of new users who may be unfamiliar with the Buddhism espoused on this subforum. Does DharmaWheel have a protocol to enforce accuracy when misinformation is repeatedly spread?

:shrug: This is what you offer?

When the Sun Rises-Darkness Reveals Itself :woohoo:

Is this a joke or have you just given up? :shrug:

Nichiren Teaches

"Contamination at the source of a river will pollute its entire length. Because of this, the Land of the Sun has had a long, dark night, and the Sun Tree is now about to be blighted by an alien frost.

Although you were not in the mainstream of the True Word school, you were still a retainer of a patron of that teaching. You lived for many years in a house whose family was devoted to an erroneous doctrine, and month after month your mind was infected by the teachers of error.

Though huge mountains may crumble and the great seas dry up, this offense of yours will not easily pass away.

However, because of the influence of karmic bonds and the compassion with which you are imbued in this lifetime, you met me, a priest of humble learning, when you least expected it, and determined to reform your ways.

Therefore, though at the moment your offense has brought on these boils from which you suffer, in the future you will be spared worse suffering.

King Ajātashatru suffered from severe boils because he committed the five cardinal sins and slandered the correct teaching. But his boils disappeared instantly when the light produced by the Buddha’s moon-loving meditation illuminated his body.

And, though it had been predicted that the king had only twenty-one days left to live, his life span was extended by forty years.

In deep appreciation, he earnestly requested one thousand arhats to record the golden words of the Buddha’s entire lifetime, thus spreading the Buddha’s teachings into the ages of the Former, Middle, and Latter Days of the Law.

Your boils have resulted from only one offense—slandering the correct teaching.

The Mystic Law you now embrace surpasses the moon-loving meditation. How then could your boils possibly not be healed and your life span not extended?

If these words of mine prove untrue, you should shout: “The Buddha, the eye of the entire world, is a great liar, and the Lotus, the wonderful sutra of the single vehicle, is a scripture of clever flourishes.

The World-Honored One should give me proof if he cares about his good name.

All the sages and worthies should come to protect me if they do not want to be false to their vows.”

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1 ... 76#para-11

I love ❤️ Teaching The Law!
Once again demonstrated: a non-sequitous response that fails to address the evidence presented.
"My pure land is not destroyed,
yet the multitude sees it as consumed in fire,
with anxiety, fear, and other sufferings
filling it everywhere."
(Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra XVI)

All these dharmāḥ are the status of dharma, the standing of dharma, the suchness of dharma; the dharma neither departs from things-as-they-are, nor differs from things-as-they-are; it is the truth, reality, without distortion.(SA 296, 因緣法)
揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提薩婆訶(Prajñāpāramitāhṛdayasya Mantra)

illarraza

Postby illarraza » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 am

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:

'Gotta do gongyo to attain bodhi.'

I live in America and speak English! What dose this suppose to mean to me?

Let us see a real translation by Nichiren Buddhist and direct us to your source!

I suppose you know how to read and properly translate what you have posted!

May I suggest you follow in the footsteps of Chi-tsang.

"The Great Teacher Chi-tsang of Chia-hsiang-ssu temple was among the most outstanding scholars in China. He was the founder of the Three Treatises school, and lived on Mount Hui-chi in Wu. Believing that none could equal him in knowledge, he raised the banner of his pride to its highest. He challenged the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai to discuss the meaning of the passage that states, “Among the sutras I have preached, now preach, and will preach, [this Lotus Sutra is the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand].”12 In the debate Chi-tsang was soundly defeated and thereupon renounced his misguided beliefs. In order to expiate his serious offense of slander of the correct teaching and of those who upheld it, he gathered more than one hundred eminent scholars and begged the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai Chih-che to lecture to them. Chi-tsang used his body as a bridge for the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai to climb [onto the preaching platform], supporting T’ien-t’ai’s feet with his head. Moreover, he served T’ien-t’ai for seven years, cutting firewood and drawing water for him. He ceased giving lectures of his own, dispersed his followers, and in order to purge himself of his great conceit, refrained from reciting the Lotus Sutra. After the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai’s death, Chi-tsang had an audience with the emperor of the Sui dynasty to pay his respects. As he was leaving, he clutched His Majesty’s knees and tearfully bade him farewell. Sometime later, Chi-tsang looked into an old mirror and, seeing his reflection, condemned himself for his past errors. All these many acts of penitence were done to eradicate his karmic disease.

The Lotus, the wonderful sutra of the single vehicle, is the golden words of the three kinds of Buddhas. Likened to a bright jewel, it ranks highest among all the sutras that “I have preached, now preach, and will preach.” There are passages in the Lotus Sutra that say, “Among the sutras, it [the Lotus Sutra] holds the highest place,” and “[Among those sutras] the Lotus is the foremost!” The Great Teacher Dengyō said that [the Lotus school is] the school founded by the Buddha himself."

You, unlike Chi-tsang have no courage to self reflect nor admit you are wrong and have been defeated on this point. Pitiable man

Mark

illarraza

Postby illarraza » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:35 am

narhwal90 wrote:Jazz, such comments about other school and others practices are inappropriate.

Whoa!! Then what you advocate is not Nichiren's Buddhism. http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2016/07/zen-and-sgi.html

Mark

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 am

Myoho Renge Kyo Is Not The Name Of Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra! :reading:

Nichiren Teaches

"Our contemporaries think of the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo only as a name, but this is not correct.

It is the essence, that is, the heart of the Lotus Sutra. Chang-an stated, “Hence [T’ien-t’ai’s explanation of the title in] the preface conveys the profound meaning of the sutra.

The profound meaning indicates the heart of the text.”

According to this comment, Myoho-renge-kyo is neither the scriptural text nor its meaning, but the heart of the entire sutra.

Those who seek the heart of the sutra apart from its title are as foolish as the turtle who sought the monkey’s liver outside the monkey,or the monkey who left the forest and sought fruit on the seashore." :shrug:

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1 ... 08#para-10

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Postby Queequeg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 am

This thread has been cleaned up. I am unlocking it, with reservations. If it gets derailed with posts contravening the Terms of Service and rules of this forum, it will be locked permanently.

Please see my note about posting to the Nichiren Forum community.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

narhwal90

Postby narhwal90 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Jazz, if you're still around- a while back in the thread you mentioned Nittatsu Shonin's style of gongyo- I was wondering if you might be inclined to elaborate on that- how diverse are the styles, perhaps also what Nichiren Shoshu lay practice is like these days? (I am assuming that is your practice, if not I beg pardon)

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 am

narhwal90 wrote:Jazz, if you're still around- a while back in the thread you mentioned Nittatsu Shonin's style of gongyo- I was wondering if you might be inclined to elaborate on that- how diverse are the styles, perhaps also what Nichiren Shoshu lay practice is like these days? (I am assuming that is your practice, if not I beg pardon)

Thank you for your question my friend, however this thread has been edited by the administrator and I can't contribute anymore until I review the changes made!

The threat of closing this thread down is quite expected as it teaches truths that have been hidden and manipulated by the proponents of 'Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects'

Sincerely Richard H. Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 am

narhwal90 wrote:Jazz, if you're still around- a while back in the thread you mentioned Nittatsu Shonin's style of gongyo- I was wondering if you might be inclined to elaborate on that- how diverse are the styles, perhaps also what Nichiren Shoshu lay practice is like these days? (I am assuming that is your practice, if not I beg pardon)

:good: My Friend,

As I have said previously I am a product of NSA as I began my Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism in February of 1982.

My Practice is Based on the Teaching of Nikko's Linrage although I am not affiliated with any Organizations or Sects of Nichiren's Buddhism. I am Chanting to discover a way to propagation based on The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and Nichiren's Teachings which I embrace wholeheartedly with 'My Heart and Soul'

What I shared about Nittasu was from Rev Kando Tono in his 'History of Gongyo' paper, my Practice began after
His passing.

I do not know what NST is teaching in their Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects as of this posting but I am planning on visiting the local Temple here in Los Angeles soon. When I do I will seek an answer to your question and report back to you.

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 am

The Recitation of The Hoben and Juryo Chapters of the Lotus Sutra as well as The Chanting of The Daimoku 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' has been taught by Nichiren Sects for many centuries.

Nichiren Teaches:

"Those who are knowledgeable may practice both sutra recitation and meditation. Those uninformed may simply chant the daimoku, for in doing so they will be abiding by the principle of the sutra."

"May" is an important word in this teaching for us to consider! :thinking: I prefer the "permission" interpretation of this word, in relation to the teaching above!

Because of this admonition, I believe we must always consider Nichiren's Teachings on 'Faith', which for me begins with Nichiren's Teachings in the Gosho 'On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice'

As you are all aware I have referenced this particular Gosho many times and find it most fascinating. This Gosho has led me to the 'Simile and Parable' and 'Belief and Understanding' or the 'Hiyu' and 'Shinge' Chapters as taught in The 'Ongi Kuden' The Record of The Orally Transmitted Teachings'.

The most dynamic Lectures on The Hoben and Juryo Chapters which changed the view of Nichiren's Teachings and its meaning is the one I certainly recognized as revealingly dynamic by Mr. Josei Toda... :reading: here

http://www.geocities.ws/chris_holte/Bud ... index.html

Based on these resources and this recent discussion here on DharmaWheel, I will with the Mind of A Beginner examine The Teachings of Nichiren with Faith as my guide to the meaning of Belief!

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:09 am

This is what I heard! :hi:

Nichiren Teaches :reading:

I was born in Japan in the province of Awa. The son of commoner parents, I left my family, shaved my head, and put on clerical robes. At that time I was determined to make use of this present lifetime to plant the seeds of Buddhahood and to do what I could to remove myself from the realm of birth and death.

My aims being the same as all other people of the time, I trusted in Amida Buddha, and from the time I was a child I recited his name. But as a result of some minor affair, I came to have doubts about the efficacy of this procedure.

Therefore I conceived the following resolve.

I thought that I would try to acquaint myself with all the various Buddhist sutras that have been transmitted to Japan, as well as with the treatises of the bodhisattvas and the commentaries written by the teachers of the doctrine.

I also considered that there are many different schools of Buddhism such as the Dharma Analysis Treasury, Establishment of Truth, Precepts, Dharma Characteristics, Three Treatises, Flower Garland, True Word, and Lotus Tendai schools, as well as the Zen and Pure Land schools.

Though I could not acquaint myself with all the details of doctrine associated with each school, I felt that I would like to learn something of their essentials.

Therefore, for a period of some twenty years, from the time I was twelve or sixteen until I was thirty-two,6 I traveled from province to province, from temple to temple, visiting Kamakura, Kyoto, Mount Hiei, Onjō-ji, Mount Kōya, and Shitennō-ji and studying their doctrines.

At that time I became aware of one very strange thing.

When we approach the subject with our limited mental powers, we tend to feel that the Buddhist teachings represent a single truth.

We believe that from whatever angle one may approach that truth, if one applies one’s mind to the matter, studies it, and truly desires to achieve success, one will be able to break away from the realm of birth and death.

But in fact if one approaches the Buddhist teachings and practices them incorrectly, then one is likely to fall into the great pit known as slander of the Law." :oops:

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2 ... 99#para-99

Sincerely Offered, Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am

Minobu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:My friend maybe this is a game for you but for me it is life itself.

It has never been a game..i find that most insulting...With This practice my father walked away from one of the rarest forms of bone cancer in the world...I've seen and see every day of my Life what Nichiren's Dharma has in store for me and others.

I have truly benefited from my practice of faith and have raised many members.

and for that ,speaking for anyone who practices Nichiren's Dharma ,we thank you.
My training is by the most dedicated Buddhist Pioneers of American Buddhism.

And yet you hide from us the sect you belong to. which is very odd and maybe you have some shame towards them , and inadvertently hide behind words like "the most dedicated Buddhist Pioneers of American Buddhism".

No fear or hesitation is in my soul. I know the suffering that exist in the world and I am determined to spread The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo widely. You are a good person but you have never met a more determined person than I am.

People tend to feel insulted when rudely told they are judged to be less .
What I have experienced is most wonderful indeed and the people who are suffering in Chicago Flint Detroit LA need access to this practice.

I will give them that! This is my mission in life!

Ah I see ....so you are making your own new sect...is it called " Buddhist Pioneers of American Buddhism."

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Sincerely Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

if you were sincere you would not be so shady about the real intent of your being here...that being the new sect you are forming..

which is cool with me...after all i am of this mind and body HOPE thread

Thank you my friend in 'Faith' for helping us Name our new Buddhism Community 'Pioneers of American Buddhism'

We are good friends in Faith whose founding principles are within this wonderful and groundbreaking discussion on Nichiren's Teachings!

We are determined to gather together fellow 'Votaries of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' to help spread the Buddhism of The Sowing, The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo throughout the communities of America. Which can be downloaded here:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 177374.jpg

We will use various resources available to all and base everything we do on Nichiren's Teachings.

With the concept of Human Revolution Mr. Toda's cry for absolute peace throughout the World we will consistently thrive to create value in all our propagation activities.

Gongyo as you know it will not be taught! Our practice of prayer will be based on the teachings I have revealed here on this wonderful discussion.

We will build our website and commence our journey of faith with the prayers of The Peace of The Land in which we and live! 'America the Land of The Free and Home of the Brave' Pioneers of American Buddhism!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 am

"In the “Entrustment” chapter we read: “At that time Shakyamuni Buddha rose from his Dharma seat and, manifesting his great supernatural powers, with his right hand patted the heads of the immeasurable bodhisattvas and mahāsattvas and spoke these words:

‘For immeasurable hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of asamkhya kalpas I have practiced this hard-to-attain Law of supreme perfect enlightenment. Now I entrust it to you.

You must single-mindedly propagate this Law abroad, causing its benefits to spread far and wide.’

“Three times he patted the bodhisattvas and mahāsattvas on the head and spoke these words: ‘For immeasurable hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of asamkhya kalpas I have practiced this hard-to-attain Law of supreme perfect enlightenment.

Now I entrust it to you. You must accept, uphold, read, recite, and broadly propagate this Law, causing all living beings everywhere to hear and understand it.

Why? Because the Thus Come One has great pity and compassion. He is in no way stingy or begrudging, nor has he any fear. He is able to bestow on living beings the wisdom of the Buddha, the wisdom of the Thus Come One, the wisdom that comes of itself.

The Thus Come One is a great giver of gifts to all living beings. You for your part should respond by studying this Law of the Thus Come One.

You must not be stingy or begrudging!’”

'Oral Exposition concerning the Transmission of the Essence of the Lotus Sutra to Bodhisattva Superior Practices'

This is why 'Pioneers of American Buddhism' appeared!

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 pm

I have noticed that very few of the contributors to this important doctrinal discussion have referenced The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

This is all too often the misunderstanding of Nichiren's Teachings among so-called Nichiren Buddhist.

It seems to me that Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra is your Object of Worship rather than The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

The fact that most of you argue vehemently to protect your undying affinity towards Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra demonstrates you have no FAITH in The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

I suggest you deeply reflect on your Faith from the perspective of Nichiren's Teachings and realize The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is The Lotus Sutra of This The Latter Day of The Law!

Bois de Santal

Postby Bois de Santal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:I have noticed that very few of the contributors to this important doctrinal discussion have referenced The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

That is probably because we consider it a given. Although not all Nichiren sects do practice to a Gohonzon, or at least, not one that is recognizable to those of us from a nichiren [sho]shu background.

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:This is all too often the misunderstanding of Nichiren's Teachings among so-called Nichiren Buddhist.

Really?

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:It seems to me that Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra is your Object of Worship rather than The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
The fact that most of you argue vehemently to protect your undying affinity towards Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra demonstrates you have no FAITH in The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

I think you are missing important historical context. Those of us who came to this buddhism via Nichiren Shoshu/Soka Gakkai were rather kept in the dark from the wider buddhist history, tradition and study. So there is a necessary process of learning, digestion and evaluation. This is especially aided by the Internet, which is still fairly new. It certainly didn't exist when I started practicing and didn't really pick up until the late nineties, as far as widespread dissemination of ideas went. Now, of course, pretty much everything is available on the net but it still requires time to process and filter and comprehend. It is also aided by scholars such as Jacqueline Stone who have done enormous work to open up areas which were previously closed to non-readers of classical chinese and japanese.

One of my current objectives, at least, is to place Nichiren's buddhism properly within the history and development of buddhism, without sacrificing its essential meaning and without being a fundamentalist (which is certainly how some elements of Nichiren Shoshu behave.) So it is vitally important to understand Nichiren's teachings in terms of the original text of the Lotus Sutra, as well as the soon to be published translation of the Maka Shikan (etc).

It would seem to me that you are arguing that because many here see Nichiren's teachings within this wider perspective we obviously misunderstand and have weaker faith. In reality, the opposite is the case.

Minobu

Postby Minobu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Minobu wrote:Ah I see ....so you are making your own new sect...is it called " Buddhist Pioneers of American Buddhism."

Thank you my friend in 'Faith' for helping us Name our new Buddhism Community 'Pioneers of American Buddhism'

from this blog

we get Nichiren's words from
The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon

This mandala is in no way my invention. It is the object of devotion that depicts Shakyamuni Buddha, the World-Honored One, seated in the treasure tower of Many Treasures Buddha, and the Buddhas who were Shakyamuni’s emanations as perfectly as a print matches its woodblock.

If you are going to start a new sect then you should get your ducks all in row..

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Your affinity towards Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra is not mine!

Go back and study what has been presented here and maybe you will learn something of Nichiren's Soul!

Nichiren's soul purpose (pun intended) was to present to the world The True reason for Lord Sakyamuni Buddha 's advent into this world.

This Gohonzon is none other than "THAT"
It is the object of devotion that depicts Shakyamuni Buddha, the World-Honored One, seated in the treasure tower of Many Treasures Buddha, and the Buddhas who were Shakyamuni’s emanations as perfectly as a print matches its woodblock.

d

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 am

Minobu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Minobu wrote:Ah I see ....so you are making your own new sect...is it called " Buddhist Pioneers of American Buddhism."

from this blog

we get Nichiren's words from
The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon

This mandala is in no way my invention. It is the object of devotion that depicts Shakyamuni Buddha, the World-Honored One, seated in the treasure tower of Many Treasures Buddha, and the Buddhas who were Shakyamuni’s emanations as perfectly as a print matches its woodblock.

If you are going to start a new sect then you should get your ducks all in row..

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Your affinity towards Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra is not mine!

Go back and study what has been presented here and maybe you will learn something of Nichiren's Soul!

Nichiren's soul purpose (pun intended) was to present to the world The True reason for Lord Sakyamuni Buddha 's advent into this world.

This Gohonzon is none other than "THAT"
It is the object of devotion that depicts Shakyamuni Buddha, the World-Honored One, seated in the treasure tower of Many Treasures Buddha, and the Buddhas who were Shakyamuni’s emanations as perfectly as a print matches its woodblock.

d

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Nichiren is written in the Center?

Shakyamuni-Taho-All Buddhas from the Ten Directions who are the DISCIPLES WHO OPENED THE PATH for Nichiren's Advent as The Buddha if The Latter Day of The Law from Kuon Ganjo

You my friend do not practice Nichiren's Teachings you practice Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra which has lost it's power of Faith!

You do not even recognize Nichiren Daishonin as The True Buddha, I do!

So our faith is different and in my faith I say you are lacking faith.

The Gohonzon is found in Faith Alone! never seek it outside your our lives?

Nichiren Teaches the difference between his Buddhism and That of Shakyamuni's

"It is written that those who embrace the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra will be protected by Kishimojin and her ten daughters. They will enjoy the happiness of Aizen and the good fortune of Bishamon. Wherever your daughter may frolic or play, no harm will come to her; she will be free from fear like the lion king.

Among Kishimojin's ten daughters, the protection of Kodainyo is the most profound. But your faith alone will determine all these things.

A sword will be useless in the hands of a coward. The mighty sword of the Lotus Sutra must be wielded by one courageous in faith. Then he will be as strong as a demon armed with an iron staff.

I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in sumi,4 so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha's will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Miao-lo states in his interpretations, "The revelation of the Buddha's original enlightenment is the heart of the sutra."

Hail Nichiren!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Coëmgenu

Postby Coëmgenu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:48 am

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:the soul of Nichiren
Ok, so what is a "soul" here then JazzIsTv? Did Nichiren call anything his "soul", and, if so, where?
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My pure land is not destroyed,
yet the multitude sees it as consumed in fire,
with anxiety, fear, and other sufferings
filling it everywhere."
(Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra XVI)

All these dharmāḥ are the status of dharma, the standing of dharma, the suchness of dharma; the dharma neither departs from things-as-they-are, nor differs from things-as-they-are; it is the truth, reality, without distortion.(SA 296, 因緣法)
揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提薩婆訶(Prajñāpāramitāhṛdayasya Mantra)

Minobu

Postby Minobu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:17 am

can someone explain to this person who wants to start a Nichiren cult with him as the Teacher of The Law that the Buddha of kuon ganjo is a make up as you go thing that Nichiren Shoshu started...

nowhere does Nichiren express himself as a Buddha let alone the Primordial Buddha which in this case is referred to Taho Buddha or Buddha Vairocana .

Dude everyone knows this stuff...you want to fool more people with this...it's really bad karma guy...

you can still start your cult just drop the ShoShu fantasies...
We can help you brush up on your Nichiren dharma and you won't come off as a buffoon.

Once you become expert in knowledge your title will hold more weight and you will be leading people to the correct teaching at least...

what gohonzon are you going to use?

JazzIsTvRicky

Postby JazzIsTvRicky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 am

Bois de Santal wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:I have noticed that very few of the contributors to this important doctrinal discussion have referenced The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

That is probably because we consider it a given. Although not all Nichiren sects do practice to a Gohonzon, or at least, not one that is recognizable to those of us from a nichiren [sho]shu background.

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:This is all too often the misunderstanding of Nichiren's Teachings among so-called Nichiren Buddhist.

Really?

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:It seems to me that Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra is your Object of Worship rather than The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

I think you are missing important historical context. Those of us who came to this buddhism via Nichiren Shoshu/Soka Gakkai were rather kept in the dark from the wider buddhist history, tradition and study. So there is a necessary process of learning, digestion and evaluation. This is especially aided by the Internet, which is still fairly new. It certainly didn't exist when I started practicing and didn't really pick up until the late nineties, as far as widespread dissemination of ideas went. Now, of course, pretty much everything is available on the net but it still requires time to process and filter and comprehend. It is also aided by scholars such as Jacqueline Stone who have done enormous work to open up areas which were previously closed to non-readers of classical chinese and japanese.

One of my current objectives, at least, is to place Nichiren's buddhism properly within the history and development of buddhism, without sacrificing its essential meaning and without being a fundamentalist (which is certainly how some elements of Nichiren Shoshu behave.) So it is vitally important to understand Nichiren's teachings in terms of the original text of the Lotus Sutra, as well as the soon to be published translation of the Maka Shikan (etc).

It would seem to me that you are arguing that because many here see Nichiren's teachings within this wider perspective we obviously misunderstand and have weaker faith. In reality, the opposite is the case.

:good: I hear you clearly my friend and everyone has their point of faith.

I find, as I continue listening and learning from others, my conviction in Nichiren's Teachings and his Enlightenment as The True Buddha from Kuon Ganjo and his revelation of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo all I need as a basis in my pursuit of the way.

Intellectual and scholarly works by others without faith as their foundation means nothing to me.

"A standard that identifies the sacred teachings of the Buddha’s entire lifetime is the teaching that “those who have performed evil deeds will remain in the six paths of existence, and those who have performed good deeds will be reborn in the four noble worlds.”8

Judging from these passages of proof from the texts and this actual proof, I would say that your husband has surely been reborn in the realm of heavenly beings.

You also say in your letter that at the moment of death he chanted the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra twice. The seventh volume of the Lotus Sutra reads, “After I have passed into extinction, [one] should accept and uphold this sutra. Such a person assuredly and without doubt will attain the Buddha way.”9 There is not a single insignificant matter among all the sacred teachings of the Buddha’s entire lifetime. All are the golden words of Shakyamuni Buddha, who is our father, the great sage, and the lord of teachings; all are the truth; all are true words. They may be categorized as Hinayana or Mahayana, exoteric or esoteric, provisional Mahayana or true Mahayana. When we compare the teachings of the Buddha with the teachings of the two deities10 and three ascetics, Taoists, and other non-Buddhists, these latter are false words and the Buddha’s teachings true words.

But among these true words, there are lies, true words, words of excessive flourishes, and abusive words. Among these, the Lotus Sutra is the truest of true words, and the truest of truths.

Schools such as the True Word, Flower Garland, Three Treatises, Dharma Characteristics, Dharma Analysis Treasury, Establishment of Truth, Precepts, Nembutsu, and Zen are all schools formulated from the lies found amidst the true words. The Lotus school is true words that bear no resemblance to those schools. And not only are the words of the Lotus Sutra true, but when the false words of the sutras of Shakyamuni’s entire lifetime enter the great sea of the Lotus Sutra, compelled by the power of the Lotus Sutra, they become true words. How much more so, then, must this be the case with the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra.

White face powder has the power to make black lacquer as white as snow. Any color approaching Mount Sumeru takes on a golden hue. One who upholds the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra transforms the black lacquer of the evil deeds of a lifetime, and of countless kalpas of lifetimes in the past, into the great merit of good deeds. All the more so is this true of one’s good roots from the beginningless past, which all take on a golden hue."

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2 ... 297#para-7

Everyday I discover wisdom and innovation within Nichiren's Teachings and now having devoted all my 36 years of shin-gyo-gaku to Nichiren's Teachings he is directing me to The Lotus Sutra by way of the Ongi Kuden and for me Mr. Toda's Lectures.

Scholars I have no trust in when it comes to understanding Buddhism for their works are not based in faith!

I prefer the pure and undefiled Gosho I fully trust in and have studied extensively.

Please understand I can learn from others but all of you have never explored the meaning of faith on this level.

Show me another thread like this anywhere! There is a method to Nichiren's Teachings
His writings are not just letters to his disciples and layfolks. They are Teachings deeply connected and meant for future generations to preserve and pass on!

Your presence and vibe is most admirable and the wisdom you have shared. amazing. Who are you and what is your faith?.... if I may ask?

Return to “Nichiren”