Surprises in Buddhism?

dharmapdx

Re: Surprises in Buddhism?

Post by dharmapdx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am

That whole “pain is just an illusion” and “you don’t really exist” talk also goes on among students of “A Course in Miracles.” As I posted above, I was very close to Dr. Kenneth Wapnick, one of the most well-respected teachers of “a course in miracles.” He has many students all over the world. Common sense would seem to dictate that in mourning the loss of Ken Wapnick, I would be able to turn to his students for compassion and reassurance. To be fair, some were indeed compassionate…. But I remember one of his students asking me, “Who is the one who is doing the mourning?” Which was her way of telling me that I don’t exist. LOL. I got a lot of those weird statements from his students.

And that brings me to what has been a positive surprise for me about Nichiren Buddhism: how pragmatic and down-to-earth it is. From what I’ve seen so far, Nichiren Buddhists don’t get that hung up on metaphysics.

Ogyen wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:13 am
I've had a few shockers ... I do understand people are people whenever you go and that 90% mean well albeit ignorance has a way of deviating the course of action to unskillfulness, bigotry, and prejudice.

Major shocker #1: the amount of abuse that happens in monasteries from rape to abusive treatment in the stronger to weaker... Saddening.

Major shocker #2: sexism is the same (rampant) as it is everywhere else.

Major shocker #3: institutionalized Buddhism is the same as any other religion with all its drawbacks, human politics, and sects.

Major shocker #4: how online Buddhists treat each other. Many are just as self-righteous and even less compassionate than Christians (hey at least they preach God is love, mean buddhists tell people their pain is an illusion, and that they don't really exist... :jawdrop: ).. I had a major brain freeze trying to understand this... It was truly shocking. (I'm not referring to DW)

Major shocker #5: how many practitioners in their own traditions lack respect for other traditions that differ from THEIR Dharma... Like Theravadans who say Sutra is basically some scholars opinions, or mahayanists who think the only authority is shakyamuni and that every other Buddha is an invention, or that termas are dreams and delusions, and all those types of situations...

The list goes on...

:meditate:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Surprises in Buddhism?

Post by Queequeg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

dharmapdx wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am
And that brings me to what has been a positive surprise for me about Nichiren Buddhism: how pragmatic and down-to-earth it is. From what I’ve seen so far, Nichiren Buddhists don’t get that hung up on metaphysics.
Thank Zhiyi for that. His teachings cut like a Diamond Scalpel.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Saddharmapundarikasutra, Upaya Chapter