Juzu question

Myoho-Nameless

Juzu question

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 am

I have a set I think it time to retire. Was wondering if there is a correct or respectful way to be rid of them.

I practice alone and dont have access to a place of worship or ordained peep.
paedicabo te et irrumabo :guns:

dude

Re: Juzu question

Post by dude » Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 am

I just throw mine in the garbage when they're worn out.
It's recommended you keep them with you at all times while you're using them, but there's no special protocol I ever heard of for disposing of them.

dude

Post by dude » Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 am

dude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 am
It's recommended you keep them with you at all times while you're using them, but there's no special protocol I ever heard of for disposing of them.
If you practice by yourself, study hard and expect to find people to learn from sooner or later, as well as people who will learn from you. Until you do, you can always hang out with us and the forum can be your sangha.

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am

dude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 am
dude wrote:
If you practice by yourself, study hard and expect to find people to learn from sooner or later, as well as people who will learn from you. Until you do, you can always hang out with us and the forum can be your sangha.
I used to be a more frequent member. But everything is impermanent.

I may end up burying them in the soil of an island in Puget Sound. I am fortunate to have access to such places.
paedicabo te et irrumabo :guns:

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Short of a juzu set simply falling apart or misplaced and lost i dont think i've ever discarded one. Upgrades have relegated them to the car or luggage, same with gongyo books. otoh i have met a few people who have fancier juzus handed down in the family.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Myoho-Nameless wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am
dude wrote:
dude wrote:

I may end up burying them in the soil of an island in Puget Sound. I am fortunate to have access to such places.
If you do it respectfully, I don't see why that would not be OK. Sounds like a wonderful way to dispose of them.

Intention is what matters. Being considerate about disposing of juzu is admirable.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 pm

What if they were blessed by a priest like mine were?

dude

Post by dude » Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 pm

I think Queequeg's take on it is the best guideline : treating them with respect is the important thing...
I have no idea what a priest would say; might want to ask one of them.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 am

dude wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 pm
I think Queequeg's take on it is the best guideline : treating them with respect is the important thing...
I have no idea what a priest would say; might want to ask one of them.
Well I started the hokkeko in Eastern Canada ...imagine that ..Minobu their big hope :woohoo: :tongue: :woohoo:

I forget how it all started ...so one time at a meeting the talk came up about blessing the beads and Reverend Nagasaki offered to bless mine..
Well i saw everyone looking like wow and wishing to get theirs done so i asked him after he gave me mine, if would bless the others' and one by one he did..he said stuff over them as he held them in front of Gohonzon and everyone got theirs done and were all happy do happy. I was impressed due to the fact he took very careful time with each set of juzu beads.

dude

Post by dude » Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 am

That's very cool. I had never heard of that particular thing, though there many things I don't know about practice.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri May 17, 2019 2:29 pm

dude wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 am
That's very cool. I had never heard of that particular thing, though there many things I don't know about practice.
I'm still learning...

Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe » Fri May 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm
Myoho-Nameless wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am
dude wrote:

If you do it respectfully, I don't see why that would not be OK. Sounds like a wonderful way to dispose of them.

Intention is what matters. Being considerate about disposing of juzu is admirable.
Yes, I think that returning practicing items to natural elements, including fire, are the best methods to dispose of them.
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Sat May 18, 2019 4:36 am

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Yes, I think that returning practicing items to natural elements, including fire, are the best methods to dispose of them.
I Love "IT"

Return to “Nichiren”