Nichiren in China and the Dharani chapter

ananda

Nichiren in China and the Dharani chapter

Post by ananda »

A long long time ago I discovered a video talking about a discovery that was made of (I think) writings of Nichiren Shonin being found in China. It's been such a long time I've forgotten what the name of the video or what the items were exactly... Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about ?

My other question is about the Dharani chapter of the Lotus Sutra. What is the meaning of the dharanis pronounced by the persons in that chapter ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Kaji

Re: Nichiren in China and the Dharani chapter

Post by Kaji »

Mr Chua Boon Tuan of Rawang Buddhist Association has transliterated the dharani:
http://www.dharanipitaka.net/2011/2008/ ... darika.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Page 1 contains the dharani in the Dharani Chapter, chapter 26. Page 2 contains those in the chapter 28.)

You might want to try asking Mr Chua for the meanings of those dharani. His contact details are on page 3 of that PDF file.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

Is this the video you are searching for?
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ananda wrote: My other question is about the Dharani chapter of the Lotus Sutra. What is the meaning of the dharanis pronounced by the persons in that chapter ?
Depends who you ask, and what kind of meaning you are looking for.

Hurvitz's translation of the Lotus Sutra attempts to translate each of the dharani (in the notes). By contrast, if you ask someone who practices these dharani regularly, that person will say that the meaning is in the practice itself and not in the etymology.
ananda

Post by ananda »

Jikan wrote:
ananda wrote: My other question is about the Dharani chapter of the Lotus Sutra. What is the meaning of the dharanis pronounced by the persons in that chapter ?
Depends who you ask, and what kind of meaning you are looking for.

Hurvitz's translation of the Lotus Sutra attempts to translate each of the dharani (in the notes). By contrast, if you ask someone who practices these dharani regularly, that person will say that the meaning is in the practice itself and not in the etymology.
First I'd like to thank the first user to reply for providing the transliterations of the dharanis I'm referring to.
Secondly I'd like to thank Tatsuo for the videos which I encountered a few years ago. Yes they are the ones I was looking for.

In reply to jikan: I am looking for both the etymological meanings for the dharanis and the commentary of the various schools on these dharanis from the various schools of Nichiren Buddhism.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

The first important point of the Dharani Chapter is the immeasurable merits and virtues accumulated by receiving and upholding the title of the Sutra, "a four line verse" or Namu Myoho renge kyo . Myoho renge kyo is the principle or root dharani which contains the wonderful seeds and fruits of all the dharanis.

The second important point is that we accumulate even more blessings by receiving and upholding the entire Sutra. When we receive and uphold the entire sutra, as did Nichiren, we [as he] become Myoho renge kyo itself. This is known as a bodily reading of the Sutra.

The third important point of the Dharani Chapter is that the principle nature of blessings is protection. We can measure our faith and practice and the faith and practice of others by the protection [or lack of protection] received. This may not become apparent for an entire lifetime or it may be immediately apparent by the principle of thusness [suchness]. Remaining supple and with a joyful countenance for some time after death, are also signs of protection. We know that Nichiren was the foremost practitioner of the Lotus Sutra by virtue of his protection under the most harrowing of circumstances.

Illarraza

Return to “Nichiren”