Sermon by 25th HBS Head Priest

Jechan

Sermon by 25th HBS Head Priest

Post by Jechan »

Hi.
Here is a sermon, with English subs, from the 25th Honmon Butsuryu Shu priest, Nichikai Yamauchi at Yuseiji Temple in Kyoto. Its very rare to see a HBS lecture with English subtitles!
The topic is on provisions for the next life through chanting the Odaimoku.
Enjoy.

http://ryosetsu.com/?p=775

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo!
南無妙法蓮華経
dbusher

Re: Sermon by 25th HBS Head Priest

Post by dbusher »

Ikemoto is one of our young shoke priests. He has been helping in the translation of HBS materials. If you have an interest in learning more about HBS here in the US please let me know. We hold oko services in California, North Carolina and Arizona. We also have a small group that holds a virtual service using ooVoo each Sunday. Our California mission is now offering virtual attendance once a month to their services.

To get access to free materials, audio recording of Myoko Ichiza, and other references on HBS please consider joining our new community at meetup.com/azsangha

Gassho,
Dominic Busher
Yuren

Post by Yuren »

I've read on an official HBS website a while ago, they had a FAQ up, and the question was: "Why is my sickness not getting healed even though I'm chanting the Daimoku?" the answer was: "It's possible because you're not cleaning your Butsudan properly, or maybe because you worshipped in a non-HBS temple." - I'll try to locate the quote but it seems they took down that website (it was on the official HBS .jp domain)

Dominic, is that HBS doctine? Can Daimoku cure physical illness, is the cleanliness of the Butsudan a factor? Also, if one worships in a non-HBS temple, can it hinder this healing process?
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

dbusher wrote:Ikemoto is one of our young shoke priests. He has been helping in the translation of HBS materials. If you have an interest in learning more about HBS here in the US please let me know. We hold oko services in California, North Carolina and Arizona. We also have a small group that holds a virtual service using ooVoo each Sunday. Our California mission is now offering virtual attendance once a month to their services.

To get access to free materials, audio recording of Myoko Ichiza, and other references on HBS please consider joining our new community at meetup.com/azsangha

Gassho,
Dominic Busher
What happened to the comment section of the video? I left a comment. Someone mentioned that they would win a rain challenge in order to ascertain the superiority of the HBS faith and I accepted his offer as a representative of the Nichiren faith. Do be so kind as to pass on my challenge to your senior priest [reverend]. I'll be waiting.

Illarraza
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

dbusher wrote:
Ikemoto is one of our young shoke priests. He has been helping in the translation of HBS materials. If you have an interest in learning more about HBS here in the US please let me know. We hold oko services in California, North Carolina and Arizona. We also have a small group that holds a virtual service using ooVoo each Sunday. Our California mission is now offering virtual attendance once a month to their services.

Gassho,
Dominic Busher

What happened to the comment section of the video? I left a comment. Someone mentioned that they would win a rain challenge in order to ascertain the superiority of the HBS faith and I accepted his offer as a representative of the Nichiren faith. Do be so kind as to pass on my challenge to your senior priest [reverend]. I'll be waiting.

Illarraza
Ohhhh boy.....What comments section.... ?

南無妙法蓮華経
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Exactly. What happened to the comment section after the video?

Illarraza
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

illarraza wrote: Someone mentioned that they would win a rain challenge in order to ascertain the superiority of the HBS faith and I accepted his offer as a representative of the Nichiren faith. Do be so kind as to pass on my challenge to your senior priest [reverend]. I'll be waiting.
So... does this sort of thing happen often? challenging someone to a make-it-rain contest?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Jikan wrote:
illarraza wrote: Someone mentioned that they would win a rain challenge in order to ascertain the superiority of the HBS faith and I accepted his offer as a representative of the Nichiren faith. Do be so kind as to pass on my challenge to your senior priest [reverend]. I'll be waiting.
So... does this sort of thing happen often? challenging someone to a make-it-rain contest?
Possibly of interest: http://www.sgilibrary.org/search_dict.php?id=2223
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If I recall, Nichiren was involved in one of these.

IIRC, the prayers of Shingon monks for rain were answered with a lot of wind and a little rain. Nichiren's prayers were answered with steady, drought abating rain.

Recall, this was also the period when the Mongols were twice wiped out by Divine Winds.

:shrug:

California needs all the help they can get right about now...
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Queequeg wrote:California needs all the help they can get right about now...
Indeed. Illarraza, can you get on that?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Queequeg wrote:California needs all the help they can get right about now...
Indeed. Illarraza, can you get on that?
Assemble one hundred Buddhist priests, monks, and HBS reverends to meet me at the base of mount Shasta and you will see what the prayers of a devotee of the Lotus Sutra can accomplish. If these Great Masters of Buddhism are to begin the prayer for rain challenge, I will afford them fourteen days. Were they to insist that I begin, they need afford me only five days.

Illarrazza Disciple of Shakyamuni buddha and Nichiren Daishonin
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

"When conducting prayers for rain, if rain actually falls, the nature and aspect of the rain will indicate whether the person conducting the prayers is worthy or unworthy. There are various types of rain such as heavenly rain, dragon rain, asura rain, coarse rain, sweet rain, and thunder rain.

In the present instance of prayers for rain, of course, no rain whatsoever fell. Moreover, for a period of fourteen days there was even more severe drought than there had been previously, and great evil winds blew without cease throughout the twenty-four hours of the day and night." -- Nichiren

Illarraza
Yuren

Post by Yuren »

When I was in Japan I heard such claims, for instance, of some Tantric rituals being able to produce rain. What is the difference between that and magical thinking of primitive religions? Are these miracles repeatable? Do you believe in some miracles and disbelieve in others (like Jesus') - if so, why? If it's repeatable, why doesn't a Tantric master do such a thing in a controlled environment with cameras and scientific onlookers? It would instantly demolish all we know about the world and causation. I'm sure the answer would be: "No, no, we don't want people to follow the Dharma because of miracles, but for more noble reasons! So that's why we won't perform our magic in public!" - Which I honestly think it's a cop out. Didn't Buddha perform miracles in public? It's interesting that history is full of miracles, but somehow - almost miraculously, I'm tempted to say - all miracles disappeared once smartphones with cameras appeared.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I think these "miracles" happen all the time, but noone likes to talk about it nowadays. Nearly nobody wants to perceive it anyhow.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Miracles...

Maybe they're real, maybe they aint. The only one I depend on is waking up in the morning. Anything else seems foolish, but what does this fool know?

Miracles will not help me see reality any more clearly, and looking out for them sounds like it would actually hinder me in this task.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

And still, my challenge is brushed aside by the Buddhist masters who claim their practices excellent medicine for the people of this latter degenerate age. I would think especially the HBS, Shingon, Gold Mountain Temple, and Tibetian masters would rush to defend their faith and practice against this lowly layman of the Buddha founded sect.

http://www.drbachinese.org/vbs/1_100/vb ... 80_19.html

Illarraza
Yuren

Post by Yuren »

illarraza wrote:And still, my challenge is brushed aside by the Buddhist masters who claim their practices excellent medicine for the people of this latter degenerate age. I would think especially the HBS, Shingon, Gold Mountain Temple, and Tibetian masters would rush to defend their faith and practice against this lowly layman of the Buddha founded sect.

Illarraza
Illarraza are you claiming you can produce rain with a prayer?
Why not contact James Randi? He is offering 1 million USD to anyone who can pull off such a feat.
All the world will know that you are a true votary of the Lotus Sutra then. It will reach all the media.
This will bring many people to the Lotus Sutra and your interpretation of it especially.
http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html
Are you up for it?
plwk

Post by plwk »

I was just reading this the other day...
Link
I agree: it is difficult. I'd say that the highest percentage of disputes and moderation activities at boards like this (choosing my words carefully) involve misunderstandings of where those boundaries lie, and mismatched expectations of the same. Example: at e-sangha, there was a particular Nichiren Buddhist who challenged Malcolm to a make-it-rain contest (!!!) to resolve a disagreement over Buddhist doctrine. I could go on...
I wonder who that may be... :popcorn: And how did the OP's topic became one on rain making contests?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Yuren wrote:
illarraza wrote:And still, my challenge is brushed aside by the Buddhist masters who claim their practices excellent medicine for the people of this latter degenerate age. I would think especially the HBS, Shingon, Gold Mountain Temple, and Tibetian masters would rush to defend their faith and practice against this lowly layman of the Buddha founded sect.

Illarraza
Illarraza are you claiming you can produce rain with a prayer?
Why not contact James Randi? He is offering 1 million USD to anyone who can pull off such a feat.
All the world will know that you are a true votary of the Lotus Sutra then. It will reach all the media.
This will bring many people to the Lotus Sutra and your interpretation of it especially...
Not to mention that you would really be doing us Californians a solid. :smile:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Return to “Nichiren”