The Persecution at Tatsunokuchi

robban

The Persecution at Tatsunokuchi

Post by robban » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Nichiren, the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law.

In the gosho "The Persecution at Tatsunokuchi" we learn that Nichiren is very literal regarding the Lotus sutra and he uses, i think, almost a fanatic approach.

"How many are the places where I have thrown away my life in past existences for the sake of my wife and children, lands and followers! I have given up my life on the mountains and the seas, on the rivers, on the seashore, and by the roadside. Never once, however, did I die for the Lotus Sutra or suffer persecution for the daimoku."

"The “Teacher of the Law” chapter states, “I will dispatch persons magically conjured who will act to guard and protect them.” This passage leaves no room for doubt. The “Peaceful Practices” chapter reads, “Swords and staves will not touch him.” The “Universal Gateway” chapter states, “The executioner’s sword will be broken to bits!” There is nothing false in these sutra passages. The strong and steadfast power of faith is precious indeed."

I feel that he really indentify himself as the true votary of the Lotus sutra, word by word.
And i think to myself, is this the way to interpret the Lotus sutra?
To fight for the LS and getting attacked with swords and staves is the way to reach Buddhahood.

Nichiren must have an enormous ego to believe all of this or is it his way to carry "people over to the other side?"

In the background text it says:

"The Daishonin here reveals something about his true identity, which he later describes in greater detail in The Opening of the Eyes, also given to Shijō Kingo. Here he states, “Tatsunokuchi in Sagami Province is the place where Nichiren gave his life. Because he died there for the Lotus Sutra, how could it be anything less than the Buddha land?” Why is it that the Daishonin states, “he died,” when in fact he survived the attempted execution? The Opening of the Eyes explains this when it says, “On the twelfth day of the ninth month of last year, between the hours of the rat and the ox (11:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.), this person named Nichiren was beheaded. It is his soul that has come to this island of Sado” (p. 269). The Daishonin is implying that, though the ordinary person called Nichiren died at Tatsunokuchi, Nichiren, the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law, reached Sado Island safely in order to fulfill his mission."

(http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/23)

"The Daishonin is implaying that he's the Buddha of the latter day of the law."

Is this a SGI and Nichiren Shoshu interpreting?
What's your thoughts about this gosho?
And if Nichiren actually saw himself as the Buddha of the latter day of the law, what does Buddhahood mean to him?
English is not my first language

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: The Persecution at Tatsunokuchi

Post by Queequeg » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Spare yourself pain and take the SGI footnotes and commentary with a big dose of skepticism, especially when they start twisting themselves in knots to explain the Nichiren=true Buddha nonsense.

Votary does not equal Buddha.

On the other hand, they do get the part about Buddhism being as serious as life and death right.

One can take Buddha dharma as seriously or as frivolously as they want. Fruits commensurate with causes.

When all suffering is said to be due to ignorance, what effort or sacrifice is not demanded by the task of enlightenment?
Last edited by Queequeg on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

markatex

Post by markatex » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Nichiren lived under specific circumstances and was interpreting the LS through the lens of his own experience. We all have to uphold the Sutra in our own ways.
Is this a SGI and Nichiren Shoshu interpreting?
Yes, most definitely. Nichiren, at most, thought of himself (after Tatsunokuchi) as the reincarnation of Jogyo Bodhisattva. Certainly not a Buddha who subsumed Shakyamuni. He spent way too much time and effort criticizing Jodo and Shingon Buddhism for elevating other Buddhas above Shakyamuni to turn around and proclaim something like that.

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Without Nichiren's Buddhism you would never have been able to meet The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo nor would you understand Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra!

As for Nichiren's Buddhahood he has declared it in his writtings.

If Shakyamuni' practiced Bodhisattva Austerities in his past lives he must have done so under a Buddha!

Why did Taho and the Buddha's of the Ten Directions have to Co sign Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra? Because they all were taught it by some other Buddha!

Isshin yok ken butsu
Fu ji shaku shinmyo!

Do you really believe you would discover The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo simply by studying Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra?

What practice would you employ?

Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is not the practice of Buddhism nor is it the Object of Worship!
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Without Nichiren's Buddhism you would never have been able to meet The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo nor would you understand Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra!

As for Nichiren's Buddhahood he has declared it in his writtings.

If Shakyamuni' practiced Bodhisattva Austerities in his past lives he must have done so under a Buddha!

Why did Taho and the Buddha's of the Ten Directions have to Co sign Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra? Because they all were taught it by some other Buddha!

Isshin yok ken butsu
Fu ji shaku shinmyo!

Do you really believe you would discover The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo simply by studying Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra?

What practice would you employ?

Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is not the practice of Buddhism nor is it the Object of Worship!
why would Saint Nichiren carry a small statue of Lord Sakyamuni Buddha in His sleeve?
You don't get that there is no Primordial buddha or original Enlightenment ...those are absent of cause for the awakened ones to become awakened.

Lord Sakyamuni Buddha is but one Buddha of the same stature in a long list of Buddhas who in of themselves were before that immeasurable lenght of time described in the Lotus sutra.

countless , i say countless Buddhas endured the same length of time before they declared the Lotus Sutra .
think about that length of time...

also you don't get what this infinite Lotus buddhism is about..it's not just about this historic time period of earthly history and the time period mentioned in the Lotus sutra...it's happened an infinite kalpa of kalpas of infinities of time , over and over and over again.

your lost once you describe an Original Buddha. it cannot be....no cause....no human awakening...you might as well be talking about the Abrahamic God, with jesu as the nirmanakaya manifestation of that God.

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Please provide Scripture to back your pronouncements?

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 am

My suggestion is that all of you undertake a deep 10 year study of Nichiren's Teachings and realize how Buddhism is practiced and taught By The True Buddha Nichiren Daishonin the Teacher of Shakyamuni and Taho!

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 am

A few more...

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2016/08/t ... sm-of.html

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2017/08/w ... e-for.html

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2017/06/t ... ay-is.html

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2017/06/e ... ikeda.html

The following may be the cause for your confusion Richard, Soka Gakkai's mistranslation of Nichiren Daishonin's most important writing, the True Object of Worship which was translated from Taisekeji's modern Gosho Zenshu:

"The essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra and true Buddhism are both pure teachings that lead directly to Buddhahood. However, Shakyamuni's is the Buddhism of the harvest, and this is the Buddhism of sowing. The core of his teachings is one chapter and two halves, and for me is Myoho-renge-kyo alone." (MW vol I Kanjin No Honzon Sho, p. 72)

Kyotsu Hori's faithful translation based on the original Chinese found in the Showa Tehon collection of Gosho

"The teaching of the essential section section during the the lifetime of Sakyamuni Buddha and that which would spread in the beginning of the Latter Day are likewise absolutely perfect. However, the former is for attaining enlightenment, whereas the latter is for sowing the seeds of Buddhahood. While the former is crystallized in the sixteenth chapter, 'Duration of the Life of the Buddha', with half a chapter each preceding it and following it, the latter is solely embodied in the five characters of myo, ho, ren, ge, kyo." [pg. 122]

Senchu Murano's translation, also based on the Showa Tehon:

"It is evident that the Revelation of Eternity was preached for the sake of us who live at the beginning of the period of Deprivation. In this respect, we are as blessed as those who heard the Buddha in person, the only difference is that they brought to fruit their seeds of Buddhahood by hearing directly the 'One Chapter and Two Halves', whereas we are endowed with the seeds of Buddhahood by receiving the Five Words." (Five Major Writings of Nichiren, Sench Murano translation, Kanjin No Honzon Sho, p. 37)

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2017/04/s ... er-of.html

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2016/04/s ... hiren.html

Many more to come Richard

Mark

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:55 am

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:My suggestion is that all of you undertake a deep 10 year study of Nichiren's Teachings and realize how Buddhism is practiced and taught By The True Buddha Nichiren Daishonin the Teacher of Shakyamuni and Taho!
Some of us have made a deep study for 30 and even 40 years Richard.

Mark

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 am

Mark Buddhism has nothing in common with your religion! Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is powerless!

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Mark Buddhism has nothing in common with your religion! Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is powerless!
Way to site scripture. You are talking out of your dirtiest orifice my man. Your slander of Shakyamuni Buddha is why Nichiren stated,

"For example, it is said that at the beginning of a kalpa of formation one of the Brahmā kings descended from the heavens and gave birth to the various beings who inhabit the six paths.3 Just as Brahmā is then the parent of all those beings, in the same way Shakyamuni Buddha is parent to all living beings in this world. Shakyamuni is the enlightened teacher for all the living beings in this country of ours as well. It is thanks to our teacher that we can know who our parents are; it is owing to Shakyamuni Buddha that we can distinguish black from white."

You my friend can not distinguish between black and white.

Mark

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:12 pm

illarraza wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Mark Buddhism has nothing in common with your religion! Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is powerless!
Way to site scripture. You are talking out of your dirtiest orifice my man. Your slander of Shakyamuni Buddha is why Nichiren stated,

"For example, it is said that at the beginning of a kalpa of formation one of the Brahmā kings descended from the heavens and gave birth to the various beings who inhabit the six paths.3 Just as Brahmā is then the parent of all those beings, in the same way Shakyamuni Buddha is parent to all living beings in this world. Shakyamuni is the enlightened teacher for all the living beings in this country of ours as well. It is thanks to our teacher that we can know who our parents are; it is owing to Shakyamuni Buddha that we can distinguish black from white."

You my friend can not distinguish between black and white.

Mark
Truthfully Jazzi, I pity you from the bottom of my heart.

Mark

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:47 am

Pity yourself Mark for believing in Shayamuni's Provisional Lotus Sutra and failing to realize the Three Types of Lotus Sutra!

Never do I feel fear of any type of retribution Mark! I am A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Return to “Nichiren”