Being reborn back to now

john perry

Being reborn back to now

Post by john perry » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:39 am

I was taking a walk and I remembered this:

A great many years ago me and less than a hand full of other Buddhists were talking about being reborn in future lifetimes.

Some guy who was well know joined the conversation.

Then he said:

In the future you're going to be reborn in a lifetime that is very similar to this lifetime.

Have you heard of anything like this?

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Being reborn back to now

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:06 am

The teachings are pretty consistent in saying that our next life will depend on this one.
If we do more good than bad, we will have a better life, while if we do more harm than good, we will have a worse life. I guess if we do exactly as much harm as good, we should have a life very like this one :shrug: but I have never seen it in any sutras or heard it in any teachings.
Likewise, I have never heard of being reborn in a time which overlaps the span of your present life. The assumption is always that your next life begins some time after this one ends.

:namaste:
Kim

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:55 am

WoMPT:

• To see where you were born before, look at where you are now. To see where you are going to be born next, look at what you do now.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:52 am

I don't know if its similar, but I think the Pali Cannon has the Buddha saying that people tend to be reborn within families or even circles of friends. And the LS has folk reborn taking turns as master/teacher.

If I am not able to vacation to the moons of Jupiter in future lifetimes, call me disappointed.
I just don't belong.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:19 am

Myoho-Nameless wrote:I don't know if its similar, but I think the Pali Cannon has the Buddha saying that people tend to be reborn within families or even circles of friends.
Not to my knowledge. References?
Myoho-Nameless wrote:If I am not able to vacation to the moons of Jupiter in future lifetimes, call me disappointed.
Would you settle for being born there - as an eleven-tentacled methane-breather? :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:21 pm

In the future you're going to be reborn in a lifetime that is very similar to this lifetime.
similar in what sense?

from the perspective of repeating the same patterns of afflictions over and over again, then yes, that's samsara for you.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Myoho-Nameless wrote:I don't know if its similar, but I think the Pali Cannon has the Buddha saying that people tend to be reborn within families or even circles of friends.
Not to my knowledge. References?
Not sure of any specifics in the Suttas, but certainly, in the Jatakas, the Buddha tells the story of his past life then concludes by pointing out who among the present persons was who in the past lives. They alter relative positions, sometimes allies, sometimes enemies, sometimes superiors, sometimes inferiors.

The Lotus Sutra is a series of stories about past lives and follows the structure of the Jatakas. One specific instance is Manjusri telling about a past life when he taught the Lotus Sutra and Maitreya was a lazy disciple. "Don't you remember? Seeker of Fame was you." (paraphrase).

We are born with the same people over and over because our karma is similar. Its like driving a long distance on a highway - you tend to be traveling along with the same people who are all going around the same speed. Maybe you pass someone, then take a pitstop, and then pass them again...
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:46 pm

john perry wrote:I was taking a walk and I remembered this:

A great many years ago me and less than a hand full of other Buddhists were talking about being reborn in future lifetimes.

Some guy who was well know joined the conversation.

Then he said:

Have you heard of anything like this?
At the risk of creating the wrong impression, life and death in Buddhism is a kind of delusion. Life is a manifested state; death is a latent state, like the cycle of waking and sleeping. When you wake up in the morning, you continue the life you were living yesterday. Same with life and death, in a way.

That is a very simplified explanation and should only be understood as a shorthand description the life and death cycle.
Entered a stupa compound

john perry

Post by john perry » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Would this mean that the lord Buddha disciple who was severely mentally I'll and became enlightened, go back to teach the dharma, as he was doing in a previous lifetim?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:29 pm

john perry wrote:Would this mean that the lord Buddha disciple who was severely mentally I'll and became enlightened, go back to teach the dharma, as he was doing in a previous lifetim?
Not quite sure which disciple you are referring to. Were they considered and Arhat?

From the perspective of the Lotus Sutra, regardless of their circumstances and conditions, they are destined for Buddhahood.
Entered a stupa compound

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote: as an eleven-tentacled methane-breather? :tongue:
How did you see my browser history?
I just don't belong.

robban

Post by robban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 pm

These are fine words:

"If someone is capable of embracing
the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law,
know that such a person is an envoy of the Buddha who thinks with pity of living beings.
Those who are capable of embracing
the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law
relinquish their claim to the pure land
and out of pity for living beings are born here.
Know that people such as these
freely choose where they will be born,
and so are able in this evil world
to broadly expound the unsurpassed Law."
English is not my first language

Return to “Nichiren”