SGI is removing prayer to the Shoten Zenjin from formal practice. Thoughts?

Yavana

Re: SGI is removing prayer to the Shoten Zenjin from formal practice. Thoughts?

Post by Yavana »

Foxes have holes and birds have nests, but Nameless I swear I have the hardest time trying to relate to some of the things you say. I understand being put out with people being drunk. Have you considered a monastic or priestly life, purifying your mind and conduct and devoting yourself to study?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I guess one person's mind-mild is another person's mentor-disciple. As I mentioned above, I hear stuff like your example from time to time. Some people respond to the the President Ikeda message some do not. I don't particularly, I seem to need a face-to-face rapport- to me he's an author of books & articles and a guy in photographs, who people talk about and thats about it. There is clearly room in SGI for both polarities.

I would propose that the lady's experience shows Buddhism working; she realized something and likely changed her whole attitude towards many things. So she likes the President Ikeda mentor thing, it worked for her... great!

For what its worth, I get my mentor thing via working with my Alanon sponsor. Sometimes all we talk about is stereo equipment.. he's an audio nut from way back, I'm back in the hobby. Other times we talk about "program topics' which can be delicate. Sometimes he tells me about how Catholics do stuff, sometimes I tell him how I try to to buddhist stuff. Either way its life-to-life communication, which SGI places a very high value on.
Iconodule

Post by Iconodule »

I don't have a dog in this fight, but just an anecdote. I know someone whose sole experience of Buddhism was with SGI. A friend brought her to an event where Ikeda was scheduled to speak. Ikeda showed up two hours late, and through the whole two hours the crowd was being whipped up into hysterics for the advent of the president- my friend surmised that the lateness was deliberate in order to get people really anxious and excited for when he finally showed up. It felt to her like it was pretty typical cult behavior and from this experience she dismissed Buddhism in general. Maybe some people really get something out of the Ikeda devotion but for many others it's an immediate turn-off.
Enter eagerly into the treasure house that lies within you, and so you will see the treasure house of heaven. For the two are the same, and there is but on single entry to them both. The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - Saint Isaac of Syria
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I have locked this thread as the specific topic seems to have run its course and discussion is veering off into violation of the Terms of Service (putting down of other traditions). If someone wishes to contribute further to the discussion of Shoten Zenjin in SGI practice, please contact a staff member to reopen the thread.

Kind regards,

QQ
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”