Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

JazzIsTvRicky

Re: Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 am

My Determination :namaste:

To perform 'Ji Ga Toku Bur'rai'
I Vow to 'Isshin yok ken butsu. Fuji Shaku Shinmyo. With the wisdom gained from Employing 'Ishin Daie and the understanding of The Stage of 'Myoji Soku'

I will follow the Zuiho Bini Teaching in the Propagation of Nichiren's Buddhism.

This particular Gosho Passage has stood out for me in my study of this wonderful Discussion on Nichiren's Teachings!

Nichiren Teaches:

"Since the beginningless past, we living beings have never for an instant been separated from this wish-granting jewel of Myoho-renge-kyo. But, befuddled by the wine of ignorance, we fail to realize that it is hidden in the lining of our robes, and we are content with merely a little gain.

Though we are living beings who, simply by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, could quickly attain Buddhahood, we observe petty precepts such as the five precepts or the ten good precepts, being reborn as a result in the realm of heavenly beings, as deities such as Brahmā or Shakra, and thinking that a wonderful accomplishment.

phpBB [video]

Or at times we are born as human beings, becoming rulers of various countries, high ministers, court nobles, or other court officials, and we think ourselves incomparably happy. Thus we content ourselves with such little gains and are delighted with them.

However, the Buddha has taught that these accomplishments are mere prosperity in a dream, a phantom joy, and that we should simply accept and uphold the Lotus Sutra and quickly become Buddhas.

In the fourth volume of the Lotus Sutra we read: “Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world, how much more will this be so after his passing?”

And

"The Buddha has in fact said that in the evil world of the latter age, those who preach this sutra as the sutra itself directs will face many enemies.

And yet there are some persons in the world now who say that they uphold the sutra, that they read it and carry out its practices, and yet they have no enemies.

Are the words of the Buddha false, then? Or is the Lotus not a true sutra?

If we assume that the Lotus is a true sutra, then are these people of our time perhaps reading it in an untruthful manner, are they in fact not true practitioners of the sutra? We must consider the question very carefully and clarify the matter."

Sovereign, Teacher, and Parent

Thus I will commence my Daimoku Campaign to show actual proof in ways that clearly demonstrate the Powers of 'Faith and Practice' in order to realize the Powers of the 'Buddha and the Law', within my own life and the lives of others!

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Teacher of The Law
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 am

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:My Determination :namaste:

I Vow to 'Isshin yok ken butsu. Fuji Shaku Shinmyo. With the wisdom gained from Employing 'Ishin Daie and the understanding of The Stage of 'Myoji Soku'

I will follow the Zuiho Bini Teaching in the Propagation of Nichiren's Buddhism.

This particular Gosho Passage has stood out for me in my study of this wonderful Discussion on Nichiren's Teachings!

Nichiren Teaches:

"Since the beginningless past, we living beings have never for an instant been separated from this wish-granting jewel of Myoho-renge-kyo. But, befuddled by the wine of ignorance, we fail to realize that it is hidden in the lining of our robes, and we are content with merely a little gain.

Though we are living beings who, simply by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, could quickly attain Buddhahood, we observe petty precepts such as the five precepts or the ten good precepts, being reborn as a result in the realm of heavenly beings, as deities such as Brahmā or Shakra, and thinking that a wonderful accomplishment.

phpBB [video]

Or at times we are born as human beings, becoming rulers of various countries, high ministers, court nobles, or other court officials, and we think ourselves incomparably happy. Thus we content ourselves with such little gains and are delighted with them.

However, the Buddha has taught that these accomplishments are mere prosperity in a dream, a phantom joy, and that we should simply accept and uphold the Lotus Sutra and quickly become Buddhas.

In the fourth volume of the Lotus Sutra we read: “Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world, how much more will this be so after his passing?”

And

"The Buddha has in fact said that in the evil world of the latter age, those who preach this sutra as the sutra itself directs will face many enemies.

And yet there are some persons in the world now who say that they uphold the sutra, that they read it and carry out its practices, and yet they have no enemies.

Are the words of the Buddha false, then? Or is the Lotus not a true sutra?

If we assume that the Lotus is a true sutra, then are these people of our time perhaps reading it in an untruthful manner, are they in fact not true practitioners of the sutra? We must consider the question very carefully and clarify the matter."

Sovereign, Teacher, and Parent

Thus I will commence my Daimoku Campaign to show actual proof in ways that clearly demonstrate the Powers of 'Faith and Practice' in order to realize the Powers of the 'Buddha and the Law', within my own life and the lives of others!

If you ever do gain a following, I will be there with my rain challenge to prove your teachings false.

Mark

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am

Nichiren Teaches

"This I will state. Let the gods forsake me. Let all persecutions assail me. Still I will give my life for the sake of the Law. Shāriputra practiced the way of the bodhisattva for sixty kalpas, but he abandoned the way because he could not endure the ordeal of the Brahman who begged for his eye.

Of those who received the seeds of Buddhahood in the remote past and those who did so from the sons of the Buddha Great Universal Wisdom Excellence, many abandoned the seeds and suffered in hell for the long periods of numberless major world system dust particle kalpas and major world system dust particle kalpas, respectively, because they followed evil companions.

Whether tempted by good or threatened by evil, if one casts aside the Lotus Sutra, one destines oneself for hell.

Here I will make a great vow. Though I might be offered the rulership of Japan if I would only abandon the Lotus Sutra, accept the teachings of the Meditation Sutra, and look forward to rebirth in the Pure Land, though I might be told that my father and mother will have their heads cut off if I do not recite the Nembutsu—whatever obstacles I might encounter, so long as persons of wisdom do not prove my teachings to be false, I will never yield! All other troubles are no more to me than dust before the wind.

I will be the pillar of Japan. I will be the eyes of Japan. I will be the great Ship of Japan. This is my vow, and I will never forsake it!"

The Opening of The Eyes!

My Eyes are Open and this Wonderful Debate never before presented is proof of the Wonderful Faith I have in the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin!

Those who disparage what I have presented here have every right to do so. Yet they have not offered any Doctrinal Proof worthy of Consideration!

My life is Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and this I will live eternally!

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Teacher of the Law

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Yet they have not offered any Doctrinal Proof worthy of Consideration!
Really?

Queequeg wrote:Are you declaring that Nichiren taught to exclusively chant the daimoku? Where do you get this? Nichiren stated otherwise in numerous writings.
As a daily religious practice, one should recite the daimoku, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Those persons who are able to do so should further recite a verse or a phrase of the Lotus Sutra. As a supplementary practice, if one wishes, one may offer praise for Shakyamuni Buddha, Many Treasures Buddha, or the Buddhas of the ten directions, for all the various bodhisattvas or the persons of the two vehicles, the heavenly beings, the dragon deities, or the eight kinds of nonhuman beings [who protect Buddhism]. Since we live in an age when there are many uninformed people, there is no need for believers to attempt at once to practice the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, though if there are persons who wish to do so, they should learn how to practice this type of meditation and carry it out.

-On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

To accept, uphold, read, recite, take delight in, and protect all the eight volumes and twenty-eight chapters of the Lotus Sutra is called the comprehensive practice. To accept, uphold, and protect the “Expedient Means” chapter and the “Life Span” chapter is called the abbreviated practice. And simply to chant one four-phrase verse or the daimoku, and to protect those who do so, is called the essential practice. Hence, among these three kinds of practice, comprehensive, abbreviated, and essential, the daimoku is defined as the essential practice.

-The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

I have written out the prose section of the “Expedient Means” chapter for you. You should recite it together with the verse portion of the “Life Span” chapter, which I sent you earlier.

Reply to the Lay Priest Soya

As for the Lotus Sutra, one may recite the entire sutra of twenty-eight chapters in eight volumes every day; or one may recite only one volume, or one chapter, or one verse, or one phrase, or one word; or one may simply chant the daimoku, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, only once a day, or chant it only once in the course of a lifetime; or hear someone else chant it only once in a lifetime and rejoice in the hearing, or rejoice in hearing the voice of someone else rejoice in the hearing, and so on in this manner to the fiftieth hearer. And if one were to be at the end, even if one’s faith were weak and one’s sense of rejoicing diluted like the frailty of a child of two or three, or the inability of a cow or horse to distinguish before from after, the blessings one would gain would be a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million times greater than those gained by persons of keen faculties and superior wisdom who study other sutras, persons such as Shāriputra, Maudgalyāyana, Manjushrī, and Maitreya, who had committed to memory the entire texts of the various sutras…

First of all, when it comes to the Lotus Sutra, you should understand that, whether one recites all eight volumes, or only one volume, one chapter, one verse, one phrase, or simply the daimoku, or title, the blessings are the same. It is like the water of the great ocean, a single drop of which contains water from all the countless streams and rivers, or like the wish-granting jewel, which, though only a single jewel, can shower all kinds of treasures upon the wisher. And the same is true of a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, or a million such drops of water or such jewels. A single character of the Lotus Sutra is like such a drop of water or such a jewel, and the hundred million characters are like a hundred million such drops or jewels…

Therefore, when it comes to the Lotus Sutra, it is praiseworthy to recite any chapter you have placed your trust in, whichever chapter that may be...

But to return to your question. As I said before, though no chapter of the Lotus Sutra is negligible, among the entire twenty-eight chapters, the “Expedient Means” chapter and the “Life Span” chapter are particularly outstanding. The remaining chapters are all in a sense the branches and leaves of these two chapters. Therefore, for your regular recitation, I recommend that you practice reading the prose sections of the “Expedient Means” and “Life Span” chapters. In addition, it might be well if you wrote out separate copies of these sections. The remaining twenty-six chapters are like the shadow that follows one’s body or the value inherent in a jewel. If you recite the “Life Span” and “Expedient Means” chapters, then the remaining chapters will naturally be included even though you do not recite them. It is true that the “Medicine King” and “Devadatta” chapters deal specifically with women’s attainment of Buddhahood or rebirth in the pure land. But the “Devadatta” chapter is a branch and leaf of the “Expedient Means” chapter, and the “Medicine King” chapter is a branch and leaf of the “Expedient Means” and the “LifeSpan” chapters. Therefore, you should regularly recite these two chapters, the “Expedient Means” and “Life Span” chapters. As for the remaining chapters, you may turn to them from time to time when you have a moment of leisure.

-Expedient Means and Life Span Chapters

We speak of upholding the Lotus Sutra. But although there is only one sutra, the manner in which we uphold it may vary from one period to the next. There may be times when a person literally rends his flesh and offers it to his teacher, and in this way attains Buddhahood. Or at other times a person may offer his body as a couch to his teacher, or as so much firewood. At yet other times a person may bear the blows of sticks and staves for the sake of the sutra, or may practice religious austerities or observe various precepts. And there may be times when, even though a person does the things described above, he still does not attain Buddhahood. It depends upon the time and is not something fixed.

Therefore, the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai declared, “The method chosen should be that which accords with the time.” And the Great Teacher Chang-an said, “You should let your choices be fitting and never adhere solely to one or the other.”

-Letter to Horen

I have received your gift of a sack of rice, sent in donation for a memorial service on the anniversary of Ueno’s passing. I will offer it in the presence of the Buddha and recite the verse section of the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra.

-On Filial and Non-Filial Conduct

Etc. etc.

Also, it seems you may be putting too much emphasis on the word "gongyo" (勤行). This is a generic Buddhist term that means "energetic practice". Its used widely in Japanese Buddhism to refer to ritual practice, particularly sutra recitation.

Queequeg wrote:Following your reading of the of the Four Depths of Faith and Five Stages of Practice would mean that you should have stopped reading that text when you got to, "They mean that one should embrace the daimoku, or title, of the sutra exclusively and not mix it with other passages."

illarraza wrote:"I HAVE written out the prose section of the “Expedient Means” chapter for you. You should recite it together with the verse portion of the “Life Span” chapter, which I sent you earlier."

I can supply more than fifty other similar passages post Tatsunokuchi. Also, calling all teachings of Nichiren prior to Sado provisional is not the meaning of the sentence which reads: "As for my teachings, regard those before my exile to the province of Sado as equivalent to the Buddha’s pre-Lotus Sutra teachings."

In context, he is talking about his failure to condemn the True Word teachings and the revelation of the Secret Law of Gohonzon ...

"...The True Word and Tendai schools slander the Lotus Sutra and should be severely rebuked. But without great wisdom it is hard to differentiate correctly between their doctrines and the teachings that Nichiren spreads. Therefore, at times we refrain from attacking them, just as I did in On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land." -- Letter to Misawa

"With the appearance of this teaching, all the teachings advocated by the scholars and teachers of Buddhism during the Former and Middle Days of the Law will be like stars after sunrise, or an awkward apprentice beside a skilled craftsman. It is stated that once this teaching is revealed in this era, the Buddha images as well as the priests of the temples built in the Former and Middle Days will all lose their power to benefit people, and only this great teaching will spread throughout the entire land of Jambudvīpa. Since all of you have a bond with this teaching, you should feel reassured." -- Ibid.

When Nichiren talks about the great power of Daimoku before his exile to Sado, how could you possibly describe this teaching as provisional.

Queequeg wrote:Nichiren did not assume that we are limited to the stage of hearing the name in this life. He did consider the daimoku the primordial gate, but in no way limited practice to mere repetition of the daimoku. You seem to accept the Ongi Kuden, so you should find this applicable:

Code: Select all

Speaking in terms of the six stages of practice, the Thus Come One in this chapter is an ordinary mortal who is in the first stage, that of being a Buddha in theory. When one reverently accepts Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, one is in the next stage, that of hearing the name and words of the truth. That is, one has for the first time heard the daimoku. When, having heard the daimoku, one proceeds to put it into practice, this is the third stage, that of perception and action. In this stage one perceives the object of devotion that embodies the three thousand realms in a single moment of life. When one succeeds in overcoming various obstacles of illusions, this is the fourth stage, that of resemblance to enlightenment. When one sets out to convert others, this is the fifth stage, that of progressive awakening. And when one comes at last to the realization that one is a Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, then one is a Buddha of the sixth and highest stage, that of ultimate enlightenment.

-Commentary on Chapter 16
Nichiren clearly contemplated a practice more comprehensive than the recitation of the daimoku with faith but no understanding which Hearing the Name means. Just to illustrate what Nichiren had in mind for a truly comprehensive practice, look at the letter he wrote to Nichiro. I quote it in full here:
Tomorrow I am to leave for the province of Sado. In the cold tonight, I think of what it must be like for you in prison, and it pains me. Admirable Nichirō, because you have read the entirety of the Lotus Sutra with both the physical and spiritual aspects of your life, you will also be able to save your father and mother, your six kinds of relatives, and all living beings. Others read the Lotus Sutra with their mouths alone, in word alone, but they do not read it with their hearts. And even if they read it with their hearts, they do not read it with their actions. It is reading the sutra with both one’s body and mind that is truly praiseworthy! Since the sutra teaches that “the young sons of heavenly beings will wait on him and serve him. Swords and staves will not touch him and poison will have no power to harm him,” certainly nothing untoward will befall you. When you are released from prison, please come as quickly as you can. I am eager to see you, and to show you that I too am well.
With my deep respect,
Nichiren
(emphasis added)

This short letter illustrates that the ideal of practice is not limited to the recitation of the Daimoku without real understanding, which is the limit of the stage of Hearing the Name. Rather, the ideal of practice is to live the Lotus Sutra with one's entire life - that is the true recitation of the Lotus Sutra.
[/size]

And this is literally only excerpts from the first two pages of rebuttals. There are plenty more. Precious few of which have been directly addressed by the OP, who, despite being a fine musician, seems more interested in publishing than conversing, or, at the very least, attempts to engage in conversation in a way that is not recognized as addressing the points brought up in disagreement.
並畢竟空。並如來藏。並實相。非三 而三三而不三。非合非散而合而散。非非合非非散。不可一異而一異。
All three truths are ultimately empty, all are tathāgatagarbha, all are true aspect. Not three, they are three; three, they are not three. Neither combined nor separated, neither uncombined nor unseparated. Neither same nor different, yet in a sense same, and in a sense different.

夫三諦者。 天然之性徳也。 中諦者。 統一切法。 眞諦者。 泯一切法。 俗諦者。 立一切法。
The three truths. Heaven-sent natural characteristics. The middle truth unifies all dharmas. The ultimate truth demolishes all dharmas. The conventional truth establishes all dharmas.

摩訶止観始終心要Móhēzhǐguān, Shǐzhōngxīnyào.

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Yet they have not offered any Doctrinal Proof worthy of Consideration!
Really?

Queequeg wrote:Are you declaring that Nichiren taught to exclusively chant the daimoku? Where do you get this? Nichiren stated otherwise in numerous writings.
As a daily religious practice, one should recite the daimoku, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Those persons who are able to do so should further recite a verse or a phrase of the Lotus Sutra. As a supplementary practice, if one wishes, one may offer praise for Shakyamuni Buddha, Many Treasures Buddha, or the Buddhas of the ten directions, for all the various bodhisattvas or the persons of the two vehicles, the heavenly beings, the dragon deities, or the eight kinds of nonhuman beings [who protect Buddhism]. Since we live in an age when there are many uninformed people, there is no need for believers to attempt at once to practice the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, though if there are persons who wish to do so, they should learn how to practice this type of meditation and carry it out.

-On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

To accept, uphold, read, recite, take delight in, and protect all the eight volumes and twenty-eight chapters of the Lotus Sutra is called the comprehensive practice. To accept, uphold, and protect the “Expedient Means” chapter and the “Life Span” chapter is called the abbreviated practice. And simply to chant one four-phrase verse or the daimoku, and to protect those who do so, is called the essential practice. Hence, among these three kinds of practice, comprehensive, abbreviated, and essential, the daimoku is defined as the essential practice.

-The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

I have written out the prose section of the “Expedient Means” chapter for you. You should recite it together with the verse portion of the “Life Span” chapter, which I sent you earlier.

Reply to the Lay Priest Soya

As for the Lotus Sutra, one may recite the entire sutra of twenty-eight chapters in eight volumes every day; or one may recite only one volume, or one chapter, or one verse, or one phrase, or one word; or one may simply chant the daimoku, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, only once a day, or chant it only once in the course of a lifetime; or hear someone else chant it only once in a lifetime and rejoice in the hearing, or rejoice in hearing the voice of someone else rejoice in the hearing, and so on in this manner to the fiftieth hearer. And if one were to be at the end, even if one’s faith were weak and one’s sense of rejoicing diluted like the frailty of a child of two or three, or the inability of a cow or horse to distinguish before from after, the blessings one would gain would be a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million times greater than those gained by persons of keen faculties and superior wisdom who study other sutras, persons such as Shāriputra, Maudgalyāyana, Manjushrī, and Maitreya, who had committed to memory the entire texts of the various sutras…

First of all, when it comes to the Lotus Sutra, you should understand that, whether one recites all eight volumes, or only one volume, one chapter, one verse, one phrase, or simply the daimoku, or title, the blessings are the same. It is like the water of the great ocean, a single drop of which contains water from all the countless streams and rivers, or like the wish-granting jewel, which, though only a single jewel, can shower all kinds of treasures upon the wisher. And the same is true of a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, or a million such drops of water or such jewels. A single character of the Lotus Sutra is like such a drop of water or such a jewel, and the hundred million characters are like a hundred million such drops or jewels…

Therefore, when it comes to the Lotus Sutra, it is praiseworthy to recite any chapter you have placed your trust in, whichever chapter that may be...

But to return to your question. As I said before, though no chapter of the Lotus Sutra is negligible, among the entire twenty-eight chapters, the “Expedient Means” chapter and the “Life Span” chapter are particularly outstanding. The remaining chapters are all in a sense the branches and leaves of these two chapters. Therefore, for your regular recitation, I recommend that you practice reading the prose sections of the “Expedient Means” and “Life Span” chapters. In addition, it might be well if you wrote out separate copies of these sections. The remaining twenty-six chapters are like the shadow that follows one’s body or the value inherent in a jewel. If you recite the “Life Span” and “Expedient Means” chapters, then the remaining chapters will naturally be included even though you do not recite them. It is true that the “Medicine King” and “Devadatta” chapters deal specifically with women’s attainment of Buddhahood or rebirth in the pure land. But the “Devadatta” chapter is a branch and leaf of the “Expedient Means” chapter, and the “Medicine King” chapter is a branch and leaf of the “Expedient Means” and the “LifeSpan” chapters. Therefore, you should regularly recite these two chapters, the “Expedient Means” and “Life Span” chapters. As for the remaining chapters, you may turn to them from time to time when you have a moment of leisure.

-Expedient Means and Life Span Chapters

We speak of upholding the Lotus Sutra. But although there is only one sutra, the manner in which we uphold it may vary from one period to the next. There may be times when a person literally rends his flesh and offers it to his teacher, and in this way attains Buddhahood. Or at other times a person may offer his body as a couch to his teacher, or as so much firewood. At yet other times a person may bear the blows of sticks and staves for the sake of the sutra, or may practice religious austerities or observe various precepts. And there may be times when, even though a person does the things described above, he still does not attain Buddhahood. It depends upon the time and is not something fixed.

Therefore, the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai declared, “The method chosen should be that which accords with the time.” And the Great Teacher Chang-an said, “You should let your choices be fitting and never adhere solely to one or the other.”

-Letter to Horen

I have received your gift of a sack of rice, sent in donation for a memorial service on the anniversary of Ueno’s passing. I will offer it in the presence of the Buddha and recite the verse section of the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra.

-On Filial and Non-Filial Conduct

Etc. etc.

Also, it seems you may be putting too much emphasis on the word "gongyo" (勤行). This is a generic Buddhist term that means "energetic practice". Its used widely in Japanese Buddhism to refer to ritual practice, particularly sutra recitation.

Queequeg wrote:Following your reading of the of the Four Depths of Faith and Five Stages of Practice would mean that you should have stopped reading that text when you got to, "They mean that one should embrace the daimoku, or title, of the sutra exclusively and not mix it with other passages."

illarraza wrote:"I HAVE written out the prose section of the “Expedient Means” chapter for you. You should recite it together with the verse portion of the “Life Span” chapter, which I sent you earlier."

I can supply more than fifty other similar passages post Tatsunokuchi. Also, calling all teachings of Nichiren prior to Sado provisional is not the meaning of the sentence which reads: "As for my teachings, regard those before my exile to the province of Sado as equivalent to the Buddha’s pre-Lotus Sutra teachings."

In context, he is talking about his failure to condemn the True Word teachings and the revelation of the Secret Law of Gohonzon ...

"...The True Word and Tendai schools slander the Lotus Sutra and should be severely rebuked. But without great wisdom it is hard to differentiate correctly between their doctrines and the teachings that Nichiren spreads. Therefore, at times we refrain from attacking them, just as I did in On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land." -- Letter to Misawa

"With the appearance of this teaching, all the teachings advocated by the scholars and teachers of Buddhism during the Former and Middle Days of the Law will be like stars after sunrise, or an awkward apprentice beside a skilled craftsman. It is stated that once this teaching is revealed in this era, the Buddha images as well as the priests of the temples built in the Former and Middle Days will all lose their power to benefit people, and only this great teaching will spread throughout the entire land of Jambudvīpa. Since all of you have a bond with this teaching, you should feel reassured." -- Ibid.

When Nichiren talks about the great power of Daimoku before his exile to Sado, how could you possibly describe this teaching as provisional.

Queequeg wrote:Nichiren did not assume that we are limited to the stage of hearing the name in this life. He did consider the daimoku the primordial gate, but in no way limited practice to mere repetition of the daimoku. You seem to accept the Ongi Kuden, so you should find this applicable:

Code: Select all

Speaking in terms of the six stages of practice, the Thus Come One in this chapter is an ordinary mortal who is in the first stage, that of being a Buddha in theory. When one reverently accepts Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, one is in the next stage, that of hearing the name and words of the truth. That is, one has for the first time heard the daimoku. When, having heard the daimoku, one proceeds to put it into practice, this is the third stage, that of perception and action. In this stage one perceives the object of devotion that embodies the three thousand realms in a single moment of life. When one succeeds in overcoming various obstacles of illusions, this is the fourth stage, that of resemblance to enlightenment. When one sets out to convert others, this is the fifth stage, that of progressive awakening. And when one comes at last to the realization that one is a Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, then one is a Buddha of the sixth and highest stage, that of ultimate enlightenment.

-Commentary on Chapter 16
Nichiren clearly contemplated a practice more comprehensive than the recitation of the daimoku with faith but no understanding which Hearing the Name means. Just to illustrate what Nichiren had in mind for a truly comprehensive practice, look at the letter he wrote to Nichiro. I quote it in full here:
Tomorrow I am to leave for the province of Sado. In the cold tonight, I think of what it must be like for you in prison, and it pains me. Admirable Nichirō, because you have read the entirety of the Lotus Sutra with both the physical and spiritual aspects of your life, you will also be able to save your father and mother, your six kinds of relatives, and all living beings. Others read the Lotus Sutra with their mouths alone, in word alone, but they do not read it with their hearts. And even if they read it with their hearts, they do not read it with their actions. It is reading the sutra with both one’s body and mind that is truly praiseworthy! Since the sutra teaches that “the young sons of heavenly beings will wait on him and serve him. Swords and staves will not touch him and poison will have no power to harm him,” certainly nothing untoward will befall you. When you are released from prison, please come as quickly as you can. I am eager to see you, and to show you that I too am well.
With my deep respect,
Nichiren
(emphasis added)

This short letter illustrates that the ideal of practice is not limited to the recitation of the Daimoku without real understanding, which is the limit of the stage of Hearing the Name. Rather, the ideal of practice is to live the Lotus Sutra with one's entire life - that is the true recitation of the Lotus Sutra.
[/size]

And this is literally only excerpts from the first two pages of rebuttals. There are plenty more. Precious few of which have been directly addressed by the OP, who, despite being a fine musician, seems more interested in publishing than conversing, or, at the very least, attempts to engage in conversation in a way that is not recognized as addressing the points brought up in disagreement.
This Debate speaks for itself my friend! I have thoroughly dealt with all of the points made! Go back a read the Debate if you truly are interested in this very important Doctrinal Study. There is no need for me to address points I have already dealt with
Extensively!

Thank you for your time and interest! As Have over 11000 persons gave to this revolutionary reading of Faith!

Sincerely, Richard H Brown A Teacher of The Law

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:00 pm

lol an expose on denial at it's epitome.

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm

When propagating Buddhism I expect what Nichiren Teaches

"One who has not conceived a desire for the way can never free oneself from the sufferings of birth and death. Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, was cursed by all the followers of non-Buddhist teachings and labeled as a man of great evil.

The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai was regarded with intense enmity by the three schools of the south and seven schools of the north, and Tokuitsu of Japan criticized him for using his three-inch tongue to try to destroy the five-foot body of the Buddha.

The Great Teacher Dengyō was disparaged by the priests of Nara, who said, “Saichō has never been to the capital of T’ang China!” But all of these abuses were incurred because of the Lotus Sutra, and they are therefore no shame to the men who suffered them.

To be praised by fools—that is the greatest shame. Now that I, Nichiren, have incurred the wrath of the authorities, the priests of the Tendai and True Word schools are no doubt delighted. They are strange and shameless men."

The Opening of The Eyes

My joy is like the Bright Sun illuminating the lives of those with Faith!

All others are merely flies sneaking in slyly! :spy:

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is such a Teaching

It is hard to deal with A Teacher of The Law! :sage:

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:When propagating Buddhism I expect what Nichiren Teaches

"One who has not conceived a desire for the way can never free oneself from the sufferings of birth and death. Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, was cursed by all the followers of non-Buddhist teachings and labeled as a man of great evil.

The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai was regarded with intense enmity by the three schools of the south and seven schools of the north, and Tokuitsu of Japan criticized him for using his three-inch tongue to try to destroy the five-foot body of the Buddha.

The Great Teacher Dengyō was disparaged by the priests of Nara, who said, “Saichō has never been to the capital of T’ang China!” But all of these abuses were incurred because of the Lotus Sutra, and they are therefore no shame to the men who suffered them.

To be praised by fools—that is the greatest shame. Now that I, Nichiren, have incurred the wrath of the authorities, the priests of the Tendai and True Word schools are no doubt delighted. They are strange and shameless men."

The Opening of The Eyes

My joy is like the Bright Sun illuminating the lives of those with Faith!

All others are merely flies sneaking in slyly! :spy:

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is such a Teaching

It is hard to deal with A Teacher of The Law! :sage:
It is also in the hands of the student. If the student is blinded by proven propaganda and holds unto false doctrine...then the student becomes sick with it and is deluded to the point of megalomaniacal zealousness in the name of religion.

fact..Dai gohonzon was not made by DaiSesnei Nichiren Shonin ..Fact neither is Dai Sensei Nichiren Shonin the Primordial or True Buddha of Kuon Ganjo.
Fact people believe this stuff to be true even though they ones who taught it to you have now said it is false..

ack!!!
why bother...because he is a human being practicing the ODaimoku...oh...ok then ...keep trying..

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall after all it's not easy
banging your heart against some mad buggers
Wall

phpBB [video]

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nichiren Teaches

"Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

phpBB [video]

The body is the palace of the ninth consciousness, the unchanging reality that reigns over all of life’s functions. To be endowed with the Ten Worlds means that all ten, without a single exception, exist in one world.

Because of this it is called a mandala. Mandala is a Sanskrit word that is translated as “perfectly endowed” or “a cluster of blessings.” This Gohonzon also is found only in the two characters for faith.

This is what the sutra means when it states that one can “gain entrance through faith alone.”

The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon

This is in accord with why Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is so hard to realize as the only practice necessary to bring forth Buddhahood from within our own lives as Ji ga toku bur'rai, Teaches!

Those who are adorned in the Jewelry of Faith conduct themselves with dignity and pride!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

phpBB [video]

A Teacher of The Law Richard H Brown

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:30 pm

first up ..nice piece of work you made there on you tube...
ok so in your own words, not using quotes and sutras, totally in your words .
What does this statement mean to you. i'm curious to know if you really understand these words or are just copy paste .
JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Nichiren Teaches

"Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Minobu wrote:first up ..nice piece of work you made there on you tube...
What does this statement mean to you. i'm curious to know if you really understand these words or are just copy paste .

Your statement suggest you that you really understand what you are asking me to explain!

Judging from what you have chose to offer in this Wonderful Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects, it seems that Doctrinal Proof means very little to you.

Since you refuse to acknowledge Nichiren's Teachings which are readily available to all who use the Internet I wonder why you would inquire?

The difference with me and your 'copy and paste' comment is that I have undertaken an extensive study of Nichiren's Teachings for the past 36 years which is much more than 'copying and pasting!

Your actions and words do not reflect a person who truly has faith in Nichiren's Buddhism but rather one who employs lower life conditions to those who present Doctrine you disagree with!

Where is your Doctrinal Resource and how do we access it freely and openly?

You want to create kaos rather than discussion my friend!

Why? :shrug:

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Minobu wrote:first up ..nice piece of work you made there on you tube...

Your statement suggest you that you really understand what you are asking me to explain!

Judging from what you have chose to offer in this Wonderful Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects, it seems that Doctrinal Proof means very little to you.

Since you refuse to acknowledge Nichiren's Teachings which are readily available to all who use the Internet I wonder why you would inquire?

The difference with me and your 'copy and paste' comment is that I have undertaken an extensive study of Nichiren's Teachings for the past 36 years which is much more than 'copying and pasting!

Your actions and words do not reflect a person who truly has faith in Nichiren's Buddhism but rather one who employs lower life conditions to those who present Doctrine you disagree with!

Where is your Doctrinal Resource and how do we access it freely and openly?

You want to create kaos rather than discussion my friend!

Why? :shrug:
:rolling:

ok nice dodge.
actually lousy dodge.
you already copy pasted in your post...so i asked to explain it in your own words.
What does this statement mean to you.
you see, it is easy to just take the material from which we learn and study and just put it in a post without venturing to explain the material
i'm curious to know if you really understand these words

now this is just another dodge and an assumption by you
You do realize that i am not knocking the actual material or the fact you had to copy paste in order to present it.
all i am asking is this material that you have presented here via copy paste be explained in your own words.

sheeeesh dude it's a simple thing and nothing to get upset over...
i've been watching you paste material for a long time and you did it last year and all i want to know is your opinion on the material and do you actually know what this means.

what does it mean to you in your own words. I tried to make clear one parameter .
please do not just paste other passages by the most Venerable Dai Sensei Nichiren Shonin via copy paste
here this is what i wish in your own words to explain....don't let us down

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:46 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
well maybe not

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Nichiren Teaches

"But I will say no more of these matters. In the case of my own disciples there are also those who may have difficulty avoiding disaster. Those people who abused and attacked the bodhisattva Never Disparaging in the end, we are told, “took faith in him and willingly became his followers.” But because they had earlier committed grave slander, they were first obliged to fall into the great citadel of the Avīchi hell and to undergo great suffering there for a thousand kalpas.

And today among my disciples there are those who seem to have faith, to give allegiance, and to willingly follow my teachings. But they do so in name only. If among them there are those whose hearts are not fully committed but who harbor only shallow faith, then they will without doubt fall into the hell of incessant suffering, where they will be confined for one kalpa, two kalpas, ten kalpas, or a hundred kalpas, if not for a thousand kalpas.

If they hope to escape such a fate, they should burn their arms as did the bodhisattva Medicine King or peel off their skin like Aspiration for the Law; they should throw their bodies to the ground like the boy Snow Mountains or, like King Suzudan, serve with all their heart. If not this, then let them fling their five limbs to the earth, let the sweat pour from their whole body. Or if not this, then let them bring wonderful treasures and heap them before the Buddha, or let them become menials in the service of one who upholds the sutra. Or let them carry out practice in a timely manner in accord with the four ways of preaching.

If among my disciples there are those whose faith is weak and paltry, then when they are on their deathbed, they will manifest signs that they are destined for the Avīchi hell. And at that time, they must not hold me to blame!"

Making Clear the Meaning of Establishing the Correct Teaching

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is such a Teaching! :meditate:

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:34 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Nichiren Teaches

If among my disciples there are those whose faith is weak and paltry, then when they are on their deathbed, they will manifest signs that they are destined for the Avīchi hell. And at that time, they must not hold me to blame!"

Making Clear the Meaning of Establishing the Correct Teaching

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is such a Teaching! :meditate:

there is a difference between having a weak faith and praising the megalomaniacal as strong in faith

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm

I am so very Proud of those who are sincerely studying this most Important Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

This is a Doctrine which determines what the Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism entails as far as Faith is concerning! Ask yourselves, what is the Practice of Nichiren's Buddhism and search this Debate for valuable guidance towards the answer!

Nichiren Teaches :reading:

"The Buddha states, “If a person fails to have faith but instead slanders this sutra, immediately he will destroy all the seeds for becoming a Buddha in this world. . . . When his life comes to an end he will enter the Avīchi hell.”

T’ien-t’ai comments on this as follows: “This [Lotus] sutra opens the seeds of Buddhahood inherent in the beings of each of the six paths. But if one slanders the sutra, then the seeds will be destroyed.”

I, Nichiren, would like to say this. The Lotus Sutra is linked to the seeds of Buddhahood inherent in the beings of each of the Ten Worlds. But if one slanders this sutra, then it means that one is destroying the seeds of Buddhahood in the beings of each of the Ten Worlds. Such a person is certainly bound to fall into the hell of incessant suffering. When might he manage to get out of hell again?

But those who follow the teachings of Nichiren honestly discard the mistaken doctrines of the provisional teachings and the incorrect theories of the mistaken teachers, and, with all sincerity, put their faith in the correct teaching and the correct doctrines of the correct teacher.

Accordingly they are able to gain the lotus of the entity and to manifest the mystic principle of the entity of the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light. This is because they put their faith in the golden words of the Buddha indicated in the “Life Span” chapter of the essential teaching and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

The Entity of the Mystic Law

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:17 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm
I am so very Proud of those who are sincerely studying this most Important Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.
It's just us.

The disagreements have been stated, but it appears that there is a barrier with regards to communication on terms of how to resolve them.

That being said, IMO at least, there's nothing wrong with a thread specifically for quoting Ven Nichiren.

I would, though, recommend, and no one has to follow through with this, with the renaming of this thread as "Illuminating Quotes by the Venerable Nichiren", "Venerable" being optional of course, to better reflect the content, and, what seems to be the intention of the OP, since debate about gongyo seems to have died down as of late, on account of said aforementioned communication barrier.

Just my two cents. Anyone care to make it four?
All three truths are ultimately empty, all are tathāgatagarbha, all are true aspect. Not three, they are three; three, they are not three. Neither combined nor separated, neither uncombined nor unseparated. Neither same nor different, yet in a sense same, and in a sense different.

The three truths. Heaven-sent natural characteristics. The middle truth unifies all dharmas. The ultimate truth demolishes all dharmas. The conventional truth establishes all dharmas.

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:00 pm

I do not see where anyone is being forced to read or reply to this Wonderful Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

Nor do I think any of you can advise me on what my arguments should entail!

Nichiren's Teachings quoted by mexarw directly in line with what he writes here:

Nichiren Teaches: :reading:

"I must observe sadly that, although it would be simple enough to point out the error of the views propounded by these men, if I did so, the people of today would not even look in my direction. They would go on in their erroneous ways and, in the end, would slander me to the ruler of the country and put my life in jeopardy.

Nevertheless, our merciful father Shakyamuni Buddha, when he faced his end in the grove of sal trees, stated as his dying instructions that we are to “rely on the Law and not upon persons.”

“Not relying upon persons” means that when persons of the first, second, third, and fourth ranks preach, even though they are bodhisattvas such as Universal Worthy and Manjushrī who have attained the stage of near-perfect enlightenment, if they do not preach with the sutra in hand, then they are not to be accepted."

Nichiren

Most of you come without Sutra in Hand and are now directing me to follow in your footsteps!

What I choose to offer is entirely my choice and weather you determine it has relevance is your right and choice!

I suggest it all has relevance to the subject at hand which is 'Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects' and suggest you point out your accusations and name calling as to where the Teachings of Nichiren which I provide deter from the Subject.

Otherwise stay in Subject and offer something viable rather than creating an environment of off topic discourse!

The problem is none of you have ever discovered these Teachings as I have presented and fail to truly understand how Nichiren's Teachings are to be read!

Instead of offering Doctrine most of you only offer personal points of view without any Doctrinal Offerings backing them up!

I know there are those who wish this Thread to disappear and are trying your best to make this happen!

Almost 12000 seekers are studying Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects!

Isn't that proof of it's providing Doctrinal Teaching and an opportunity to seek the truth for themselves!

I am filled with joy that obstacles and those who want me to adhere to their hidden threats are appearing!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Again the importance of this Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects is a topic I find a need to
Clarify and bring forth the truth of Nichiren's Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nichiren Teaches :reading:

"Since Nichiren’s disciples and lay supporters believe solely in the Lotus Sutra, honestly discarding expedient means and not accepting even a single verse of the other sutras, exactly as the Lotus teaches, they can enter the treasure tower of the Gohonzon. How reassuring! Make every possible effort for the sake of your next life.

What is most important is that, by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo alone, you can attain Buddhahood. It will no doubt depend on the strength of your faith.

To have faith is the basis of Buddhism. Thus the fourth volume of Great Concentration and Insight states, “Buddhism is like an ocean that one can only enter with faith.” The fourth volume of The Annotations on “Great Concentration and Insight” explains this: “With regard to the phrase ‘Buddhism is like an ocean that one can only enter with faith,’ even Confucius taught that faith is first and foremost.

How much more so is this true of the profound doctrines of Buddhism!

Without faith, how could one possibly enter? That is why the Flower Garland Sutra defines faith as the basis of the way and the mother of blessings.”

The first volume of Great Concentration and Insight says, “How does one hear, believe in, and practice the perfect teaching to attain perfect enlightenment?” The first volume of On “Great Concentration and Insight” says, “To ‘believe in the perfect teaching’ means to awaken faith through doctrine and to make faith the basis of practice.”

Nichiren

This is what I am teaching for those almost 12000 who are constantly studying Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects!

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Teacher 👨🏫 of The Law

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 pm

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:In the fourth volume of the Lotus Sutra we read: “Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world, how much more will this be so after his passing?”

And

Doesn't this contradict your OP?:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:I believe that the recitation of Shayamuni's Lotus Sutra is 'Simply Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' exclusively without any other recitation or chant. Including, the recitation of any part or whole of the Lotus Sutra as taught by Shakyamuni Buddha.
Similarly, how does this:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote: My Determination :anjali:

square with this:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:04 am
Queequeg wrote:勤行 gongyo

善戒経云。若無菩薩性者。雖復発心勤行精進雖復発心懃修精進。終不能得阿耨菩提

From Chu Hokkekyo, Nichiren's annotated Lotus Sutra.

'Gotta do gongyo to attain bodhi.'
I live in America and speak English! What dose this suppose to mean to me?

Let us see a real translation by Nichiren Buddhist and direct us to your source!

I suppose you know how to read and properly translate what you have posted!
???