Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects.

Post by Queequeg »

Coëmgenu wrote:
Queequeg wrote:If you want to launch a full throated critique of some tradition, there are other forums on the internet for you to do so. At DW, we are trying to foster a detente so that open exchanges can take place.
Prepare to be unduly referred to as a snowflake by someone in 3... 2... 1... :spy:
I hope that's not how it goes.

These times we live in - the age of the devastating twitter quip and the mic drop - I don't know if this is the nadir of public discourse in America, because it could certainly get worse. But it is bad.

People who think delivering a one liner is somehow an indication of intellectual and spiritual strength have no idea what they are talking about.

To sincerely engage, open yourself to critique, to listen to the other side, even, and especially, when its uncomfortable or painful, and then continue to engage civilly, open to the possibility that your mind might be changed, that, to me is a demonstration of real and strong character. Anyone can participate in a shout down. It takes guts to see the humanity in another with whom you irreconcilably disagree with and have a conversation.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Queequeg wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote: The most dynamic Lectures on The Hoben and Juryo Chapters which changed the view of Nichiren's Teachings and its meaning is the one I certainly recognized as revealingly dynamic by Mr. Josei Toda... :reading: here

http://www.geocities.ws/chris_holte/Bud ... index.html

Based on these resources and this recent discussion here on DharmaWheel, I will with the Mind of A Beginner examine The Teachings of Nichiren with Faith as my guide to the meaning of Belief!

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
I admire Toda, though I don't necessarily agree with his interpretation - the Shoshu interpretation - of the Gosho and Lotus Sutra.

Based on what you write, it seems that with the exception of the place of gongyo, you generally subscribe to the Shoshu interpretations. Is that fair to say?
No! I really have learned Buddhism from My Practice in NSA. Now it seems, we are being led
:offtopic:

I have completely been delighted with this wonderful discussion on 'Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects'

I must now devote my time on developing a web site for 'Pioneers of American Buddhism' and writing anew ZipAvenueTheMovie.

This is my exit and I will not be available to continue responding to any other participants.

This is where I end my part on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects!
:thanks: :thinking: :hi:

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge

Note: Thank you all for the first real Debate - Discussion of this very important Doctrinal issue. I believe you all will consider Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge the only Meditation-Chant-Recital...

Nichiren Teaches: :reading:

"Question: Why do you not advocate the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single life-moment (ichinen sanzen), but instead simply encourage the chanting of the daimoku?

Answer: The two characters that comprise the word Nihon or "Japan" contain within them all the people and animals and wealth in the sixty-six provinces of the country, without a single omission. And the two characters that make up the word Gasshi or "India"--do they not likewise contain within them all the seventy countries of India? Miao-lo says: "When, in order to be brief, only the title of the sutra is mentioned, the entire sutra is thereby included." And he likewise says: "When for the sake of brevity we speak of the Ten Worlds or the ten factors, all the three thousand realms are contained therein.

Question: Why do you say that all teachings are contained within the daimoku?

Answer: Chang-an writes as follows: "Hence [T'ien-t'ai's explanation of the title in] the preface conveys the profound meaning of the sutra. The profound meaning indicates the heart of the text, and the heart of the text encompasses the whole of the theoretical and the essential teachings." And Miao-lo writes: "On the basis of the heart of the text of the Lotus Sutra, one can evaluate all the other various teachings of the Buddha."

Though muddy water has no mind, it can catch the moon's reflection and so naturally become clear. When plants and trees receive the rainfall, they can hardly be aware of what they are doing, and yet do they not proceed to put forth blossoms? The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo do not represent the sutra text, nor are they its meaning. They are nothing other than the intent of the entire sutra. So, even though the beginner in religious practice may not understand their significance, by practicing these five characters, he will naturally conform to the sutra's intent.
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Pyrric victory?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Queequeg wrote:Pyrric victory?
:shrug:

Single-Mindedly Yearning to See the Buddha, They do not Begrudge their Lives
(Isshin yokken butsu fuji shaku shinmyō)

In his Gosho, “Letter to Gijō-bō.” The phrase, “…single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives” (Hokekyo, p. 439; MW-2, p. 236) appears in the verse (Jigage) section of the Life Span (Juryō) chapter of the Lotus Sutra. It teaches that we must practice single-mindedly and without begrudging our lives, in order to achieve positive karmic effects.

In the Gosho, “Letter to Gijō-bō” (“Gijō-bō gosho”), the Daishonin discusses the benefits described in the Lotus Sutra. The benefit achieved through the practice of the Lotus Sutra is the life condition manifested only between Buddhas. This life condition is known only by Shakyamuni and Tahō Buddha. The Daishonin teaches that it cannot be fathomed even by all the Buddhas of the ten directions.

Furthermore, he explains that there is a diverse variety of practices based on the Lotus Sutra, but the heart of the doctrines were understood only by Tiantai, Miaolo, and Dengyō. This is because they were the only ones in a position to understand the principles of the mutual possession of the ten worlds (jikkai gogu), the hundred worlds and thousand factors (hyakkai sennyo), and ichinen sanzen (three thousand realms in a single life-moment).

Next, Nichiren Daishonin indicates that the doctrine contained in the Life Span (Juryō) chapter is fundamentally significant to him, and although Tiantai and Dengyō were aware of the teachings, they were unable to reveal them in words. In short, he explains that the doctrine of ichinen sanzen is based on his own existence. Here, the Daishonin makes reference to the passage:… single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives. (Gosho, p. 669; MW-2, p. 236)

Through this passage, the Daishonin reveals his internal effect—his karmic manifestation as the Buddha. He explains that, based on this sutra passage, he was able to achieve the Three Great Secret Laws of actual ichinen sanzen described in the Life Span (Juryō) chapter. The Daishonin reveals that the Three Great Secret Laws are none other than his embodiment of ichinen sanzen.

Then, he explains the passage: “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives.” (ibid.) The essential significance of the phrase “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha” is Myoho-Renge-Kyo. The Daishonin further states that “they do not begrudge their lives” means that one must thoroughly propagate the five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo. Nichiren Daishonin reveals that he, himself, is the True Buddha, who is endowed with the karmic effect of the uncreated and unadorned three enlightened properties (musa sanjin), since he has lived the conditions described in this passage.

The Daishonin concludes this Gosho by urging us not to let our minds master us. He instructs us to advance with devotion, ready to give our lives—never begrudging our lives—for the sake of the Lotus Sutra.

The Daishonin further explains the passage “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives”:
This passage means that I have established the Three Great Secret Laws of actual ichinen sanzen based on this passage in the Life Span (Juryō) chapter. (Gosho, p. 669)

The Three Great Secret Laws are the True Object of Worship, the True High Sanctuary, and the Daimoku of the Essential Teaching of true Buddhism. The Daishonin states that he was able to actualize these Three Great Secret Laws, based on the doctrine of “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives [his life].”

In other words, the actions of Nichiren Daishonin, as he risked his life, characterize actual ichinen sanzen. He teaches that this is precisely the manifestation of the Three Great Secret Laws.

In the Daishonin’s teachings of the ten-thousand years and eternity of the Latter Day of the Law, the Three Great Secret Laws were expressly manifested when he inscribed the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teaching of true Buddhism, in the second year of Koan, 1279. Based on this, the passage in this Gosho about the actualization of the Three Great Secret Laws seems to be a contradiction, since it was written before the Dai-Gohonzon was inscribed.

Then, how should we regard the establishment of the Three Great Secret Laws as taught in “Letter to Gijō-bō”? In this Gosho, it refers to how Nichiren Daishonin, following the persecution at Tatsunokuchi, came to the realization that he was the True Buddha from the infinite past of kuon-ganjo, while maintaining his existence as a common mortal. With this realization, he traveled to his exile in Sado.

The Daishonin teaches the following in the “Orally Transmitted Teachings” (“Ongi kuden”):
The object of worship is the actual entity of the body of the votary of the Lotus Sutra. (Gosho, p. 1773)

The body and mind of Nichiren Daishonin, as he manifested his life as the True Buddha from the infinite past of kuon-ganjo, represents none other than the Object of Worship of the Essential Teaching of true Buddhism. The Daimoku that he chants is the Daimoku or invocation of the Essential Teaching of true Buddhism. Furthermore, the place where Nichiren Daishonin resides becomes the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teaching of true Buddhism.

Therefore, the establishment of the Three Great Secret Laws, as set forth in the Gosho “Letter to Gijō-bō,” is none other than the actualization of the Three Great Secret Laws within the very life of Nichiren Daishonin. It represents the manifestation of his internal karmic effect of the Buddha.

The phrase, “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives,” possesses a general meaning and a profound, essential meaning. The general meaning signifies the observation of the mind (kanjin) of the people. This means performing the Buddhist practices. The profound, essential meaning is the entity of the Law of Nichiren Daishonin (the essential nature of existence).

This profound, essential meaning signifies upholding faith in the entity of the Law, possessed by the Daishonin, who received it through Shakyamuni’s transmission of the essence of the Lotus Sutra to the Four Leaders of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth, led by Bodhisattva Jogyo.

The phrase, “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives” expresses the manifestation of the cause and effect embodied by the True Buddha from the infinite past of kuon-ganjo, based on the meaning hidden in the depths of the Life Span (Juryō) chapter. This phrase also reveals the significance of the establishment of the Three Great Secret Laws.

Nichiren Daishonin embodied the spirit of this phrase as he encountered many persecutions, just as predicted in the Lotus Sutra. He lived and confirmed the truth of every word of the Lotus Sutra, as he actualized the Three Great Secret Laws. The actual entity of the Three Great Secret Laws is described in the following way in “Letter to Gijō-bō”:

“Single” means mystic (myo); “mind” represents the Law (ho); “yearning” is the lotus (renge); to “see” signifies the flower (ge); and the “Buddha” is the sutra (kyo). (Gosho, p. 669)

Thus, the Daishonin teaches that those who single-mindedly yearn to see the Buddha are themselves the actual entities of Myoho-Renge-Kyo. They are manifestations of the principles of “the person himself is the Law” (nin soku hō); “the Law itself is the person” (hō soku nin); and “the oneness of the person and the Law” (ninpō taiitsu).

In essence, the phrase, “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha, they do not begrudge their lives,” represents the actual practice and actual proof of the True Buddha from the infinite past of kuon-ganjo. The Daishonin explains that “single-mindedly” refers to the singular determination of the True Buddha. In other words, it signifies Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo.

The general perspective refers to the observation of the mind of the people—common mortals like us. In order to attain Buddhahood, we as learners and followers, must uphold faith and practice without begrudging our lives, in the same way as the Buddha. The Daishonin teaches that this kind of faith and practice is indispensable. In “The Interpretations Based on the Principle Hidden in the Depths” (“Egihanmon-shō”), the Twenty-sixth High Priest Nichikan Shonin wrote:

In the first two segments of this phrase, “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha” refers to none other than faith. The phrase, “not begrudging their lives,” is the practice of chanting Daimoku. This chanting of Daimoku itself contains both practice for oneself and for others. (Six-Volume Writings [Rokkan-shō], p. 99)

Thus, Nichikan Shonin associated the phrase, “single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha,” with faith, and the phrase, “they do not begrudge their lives,” with the practice of Daimoku. He instructs us to devote ourselves to chanting Daimoku and urging others to do the same.

We sincerely must chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. Moreover, we must never begrudge our lives—physically and spiritually—and make appropriate offerings in our daily practice. By so doing, we successfully will attain Buddhahood. Our efforts in faith and practice eventually will result in a world filled with people who sincerely uphold true Buddhism. True to the golden words of the Daishonin, the great objective of kosen-rufu will be achieved without fail.

How to begin Your Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism :applause:

Let us help you begin.

Download this Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo which fits perfectly on your Smartphone.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 177374.jpg

Study Materials :reading:

http://nichiren.info/gosho.html

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?t=23047

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/

Do not join any organization or Sects :group:

Enjoy the beginning of your Practice!

How to begin Your Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

:hi: My Joy of Being A Teacher of The Law is dancing while emerging from the Earth of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

If this Debate - Discussion on 'Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects' has an impact on the practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism which frees one from the chains of religious dogma then I have accomplished my goal.

Although I declare myself A Teacher of The Law.
My last question is....

Why do you not become A Teacher of The Law? :reading:

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

:thanks: :hi:
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

:coffee: :ban:

Practice, Practice, Practice
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Although I declare myself A Teacher of The Law.
My last question is....

Why do you not become A Teacher of The Law?
Do you know what......?

....You're right.

:heart: I am a teacher of the law :group:

That's how it works, right? Now only I know the true teachings of Nichiren?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Coëmgenu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Although I declare myself A Teacher of The Law.
My last question is....

Why do you not become A Teacher of The Law?
Do you know what......?

....You're right.

:heart: I am a teacher of the law :group:

That's how it works, right? Now only I know the true teachings of Nichiren?
Now that I am in a proper position to teach :sage: :spy: :
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Myoho Renge Kyo Is Not The Name Of Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra! :reading:

Nichiren Teaches

"Our contemporaries think of the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo only as a name, but this is not correct.

It is the essence, that is, the heart of the Lotus Sutra. Chang-an stated, “Hence [T’ien-t’ai’s explanation of the title in] the preface conveys the profound meaning of the sutra.

The profound meaning indicates the heart of the text.”

According to this comment, Myoho-renge-kyo is neither the scriptural text nor its meaning, but the heart of the entire sutra.
But it is also the title. I don't know how one can say that 妙法蓮華經 is not the title of the Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra and still be in continuity with the tradition inherited by the various contemporary schools of Lotus Buddhism.

You object to calling 妙法蓮華經 the name/title of "Śākyamuni's sūtra", on these grounds:
Nichiren:

Our contemporaries think of the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo only as a name, but this is not correct.
The operative clause here is "only as a name". 妙法蓮華經 is still a name/title. Nichiren elaborates a deeper meaning, but his deeper meaning does not replace the fact that 妙法蓮華經 is also the name of the sūtra.

Furthermore, because 妙法蓮華經 is the "essential" practice, does not mean that the comprehensive practice is replaced, defunct, or superseded. Why would such be the case?

Nichiren Buddhism is underpinned still by Tiāntāi's Three Truths. The application here, IMO, is salient, but others may disagree.

As a note to everyone in participation, for the sake of conversation rather than the monologues of late, consider this line here, being used to argue that 妙法蓮華經 is not the title of the Lotus Sūtra:
According to this comment, Myoho-renge-kyo is neither the scriptural text nor its meaning, but the heart of the entire sutra.
I feel that this is an allusion to the three truths, and should be read in light of that, but I can only guess as to what Nichiren Buddhists might believe regarding this. Thoughts?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:
Queequeg wrote:If you want to launch a full throated critique of some tradition, there are other forums on the internet for you to do so. At DW, we are trying to foster a detente so that open exchanges can take place.
Prepare to be unduly referred to as a snowflake by someone in 3... 2... 1... :spy:
I hope that's not how it goes.

These times we live in - the age of the devastating twitter quip and the mic drop - I don't know if this is the nadir of public discourse in America, because it could certainly get worse. But it is bad.

People who think delivering a one liner is somehow an indication of intellectual and spiritual strength have no idea what they are talking about.

To sincerely engage, open yourself to critique, to listen to the other side, even, and especially, when its uncomfortable or painful, and then continue to engage civilly, open to the possibility that your mind might be changed, that, to me is a demonstration of real and strong character. Anyone can participate in a shout down. It takes guts to see the humanity in another with whom you irreconcilably disagree with and have a conversation.
this made me think about myself and interaction in this thread along with this as well..
Queequeg wrote:
They are not appropriate at DW. We do tolerate a degree of criticism of various traditions in the forums for the tradition in which such criticism is a matter of doctrine, but we prefer that it not get personal or hostile. Shakubuku is indeed part of the Nichiren tradition, so criticism of other traditions can be discussed here, but we keep it on a tight leash. This is a light contact forum - full contact forums are out there, including our sister site, dharmapaths.

If you want to launch a full throated critique of some tradition, there are other forums on the internet for you to do so. At DW, we are trying to foster a detente so that open exchanges can take place.
It is in the way this guy approached us that sparked myself to act in the lowest common denominator to his posts but at the same time...walking all over other's belief..
I have believed in the Buddha of Kuon Ganjo , but i lambasted this guy and said things that might surely hurt others of this belief.

we walk on top of these fences that are picketed and we stumble, and then hurt others in our own quest for learning.

I feel ashamed this morning...i read this last night from Q...and it disturbed me...

It's never going to be
but we prefer that it not get personal or hostile.
when it comes To Nichiren shonin's teachings, for we hold what ever sect or belief system in a higher esteem than the others...

I've been fortunate to vascilate all over the place so i can see how the other side thinks.

thats why i feel ashamed.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Coëmgenu wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:Myoho Renge Kyo Is Not The Name Of Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra! :reading:

Nichiren Teaches

"Our contemporaries think of the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo only as a name, but this is not correct.

It is the essence, that is, the heart of the Lotus Sutra. Chang-an stated, “Hence [T’ien-t’ai’s explanation of the title in] the preface conveys the profound meaning of the sutra.

The profound meaning indicates the heart of the text.”

But it is also the title. I don't know how one can say that 妙法蓮華經 is not the title of the Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra and still be in continuity with the tradition inherited by the various contemporary schools of Lotus Buddhism.
Without getting all involved with what JITR is saying, there is no question MRK is the title of the Lotus Sutra - literally, that's what "daimoku" means.

However, a title is understood to be a synopsis of the contents of the book. As such, Zhiyi in Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra analyzed the text from the perspective of the title, showing that the complete meaning of the Sutra is contained in the title.

There is a passage in Profound Meaning where Zhiyi discusses the name 蓮華 (Renge - White Lotus Blossom). Its said that the name of the Lotus is derived from the name of 妙法 (myoho - Sublime Dharma). That the Lotus is named after the Sublime Dharma because it flowers and bears fruit at the same time, ie. cause and effect are identical/simultaneous, just like the real aspect of reality.

Taking this further, the phrase, MyohoRengeKyo, is more than a symbol - it is the thing referred to. I think we often think that a name is separate from the reality of a dharma, but this is in many respects, a obtuse approach to reality. I could go on and on, but this is this is derivative of the view that reality and our experience of it are separate - usually divided by ignorance. In ichinen sanzen, the single thought moment is completely integrated with the thousandfold trichiliocosm. A name is continuous with the reality it refers to, as well as everything else.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

We talk and talk and talk on this site, but, what gets lost, what should be implicit, is that without practice, none of this makes sense.

If you have any question about what the point of chanting daimoku is, here is what I would suggest...

chant daimoku for at least a half hour every morning and evening for thirty days.

You don't need any elaborate ritual or preparation. Just sit, get comfortable with a stable posture, and chant. If it helps to set the mood by lighting candles and burning incense, go ahead.

To newbies that might sound like a lot, but we're talking about opening buddhahood. If you think that happens just because you have happy and optimistic thoughts and try to be a good person, you are a fool. Probably good natured and pleasant, but still a fool. Also, if you think you can intellectually open buddhahood, think your way to enlightenment, you are delusional - you ought not be so enamored with your intellect - there will be robots much smarter than you within a couple decades.

Just do it. Don't worry about what you will get out of it or achieve.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

:applause: Firstly my friends who have been and are taking an interest in this thread on - Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects - thank you.

I think it unnecessary when asking others to try something new as in The Chanting of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to also call them 'fools' if they don't, is not an appropriate way to introduce Buddhism to others.

Let us help you begin. :hi:

Download this Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo which fits perfectly on your Smartphone.

https://youtu.be/KfRcUpoPl7w How to Chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Try Chanting Five Cocentrated Minutes Consistently :twothumbsup:

'Pioneers of American Buddhism'

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: I think it unnecessary when asking others to try something new as in The Chanting of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to also call them 'fools' if they don't, is not an appropriate way to introduce Buddhism to others.
That's not quite what I wrote, but point taken.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

:shrug: If you follow Q's advice you are not following Nichiren's Teachings.

"Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Q writes
"We talk and talk and talk on this site, but, what gets lost, what should be implicit, is that without practice, none of this makes sense.

If you have any question about what the point of chanting daimoku is, here is what I would suggest...

chant daimoku for at least a half hour every morning and evening for thirty days.

You don't need any elaborate ritual or preparation. Just sit, get comfortable with a stable posture, and chant. If it helps to set the mood by lighting candles and burning incense, go ahead.

To newbies that might sound like a lot, but we're talking about opening buddhahood. If you think that happens just because you have happy and optimistic thoughts and try to be a good person, you are a fool.

Probably good natured and pleasant, but still a fool. Also,

if you think you can intellectually open buddhahood, think your way to enlightenment, you are delusional - you ought not be so enamored with your intellect - there will be robots much smarter than you within a couple decades.

Just do it. Don't worry about what you will get out of it or achieve." Q

This what Cults teach. No where dose he suggest you seek out Nichiren's Teachings to sincerely begin your practice. And come to an understanding of what you are taking on!
:spy:
This is Q's hypocrisy and arrogance! Yet he is the moderator and editor of what is to be said and read on this thread! :juggling:

Q has already reached in and EDITED this thread. How dare him use such language towards Nichiren's those who may be considering the Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. :consoling:

Shame on you Q! :shrug:

Sincerely, Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote::shrug: If you follow Q's advice you are not following Nichiren's Teachings.

Q writes
"We talk and talk and talk on this site, but, what gets lost, what should be implicit, is that without practice, none of this makes sense.

To newbies that might sound like a lot, but we're talking about opening buddhahood. If you think that happens just because you have happy and optimistic thoughts and try to be a good person, you are a fool.

if you think you can intellectually open buddhahood, think your way to enlightenment, you are delusional - you ought not be so enamored with your intellect - there will be robots much smarter than you within a couple decades.

This what Cults teach. No where dose he suggest you seek out Nichiren's Teachings to sincerely begin your practice. And come to an understanding of what you are taking on!
This is Q's hypocrisy and arrogance! Yet he is the moderator and editor of what is to be said and read on this thread! :juggling:

Q has already reached in and EDITED this thread. How dare him use such language towards Nichiren's those who may be considering the Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. :consoling:

For someone talking a lot it's very evident you don't practice. I would suggest instead of solely worrying about theology you try and work on purity of heart and how to interact with loving kindness with other sentient beings.

:yinyang:

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

CedarTree wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote::shrug: If you follow Q's advice you are not following Nichiren's Teachings.

Q writes

For someone talking a lot it's very evident you don't practice. I would suggest instead of solely worrying about theology you try and work on purity of heart and how to interact with loving kindness with other sentient beings.

Teaching the Law is very much a part of the practice my friend!

I have devoted my life to the Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism and I view this unprecedented discussion on True Buddhism as groundbreaking and fresh. Your contributions here have been nothing but critical and void of any doctrinal input.

Tell us something of value and change your ichinen of complaint and moaning! :techproblem:

Nichiren Teaches :reading:

"In this letter, I have written my most important teachings. Grasp their meaning firmly, and make them a part of your life.

Believe in the Gohonzon, the supreme object of devotion in all of Jambudvīpa.

Be sure to strengthen your faith, and receive the protection of Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the Buddhas of the ten directions.

Exert yourself in the two ways of practice and study. Without practice and study, there can be no Buddhism.

You must not only persevere yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise from faith.

Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."
http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1 ... 40#para-16

Offer us something that can help us understand Nichiren my friend! :group:

We will be delighted and thankful! :applause:

Sincerely, A Teacher of The Law

Why don't you become one? :bow:

:hi: How to begin Your Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism

Let us help you begin. :group:

Download this Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo which fits perfectly on your Smartphone. :coffee:

Enjoy the beginning of your Practice! :applause:

Last edited by JazzIsTvRicky on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
CedarTree wrote:

Q writes

I have devoted my life to the Practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism and I view this unprecedented discussion on True Buddhism as groundbreaking and fresh. Your contributions here have been nothing but critical and void of any doctrinal input.

Tell us something of value and change your ichinen of complaint and moaning! :techproblem:

"In this letter, I have written my most important teachings. Grasp their meaning firmly, and make them a part of your life.

Be sure to strengthen your faith, and receive the protection of Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the Buddhas of the ten directions.

Exert yourself in the two ways of practice and study. Without practice and study, there can be no Buddhism.

You must not only persevere yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise from faith.

Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

Let us help you begin.

Study Materials

Do not join any organization or Sects

Listen Jazz on my end I forget about you till I check the site, on your end you may be more worked up or less and forget whenever in a second or a week. Doesn't matter.

Purity of heart is your life. Don't waste your life trying to be "the one".

JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

CedarTree wrote:
JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
CedarTree wrote:

Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase. Nam-myohyo-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

Let us help you begin.

Study Materials

Do not join any organization or Sects

Listen Jazz on my end I forget about you till I check the site, on your end you may be more worked up or less and forget whenever in a second or a week. Doesn't matter.

Purity of heart is your life. Don't waste your life trying to be "the one".
Wayyyyyyyyyyy :offtopic:
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

'On Nam Myoho Renge Kyo'

"Question: Although I can see both my own six sense organs and those of others, I cannot see the Ten Worlds in myself or others. How can I believe in them?

Answer: The “Teacher of the Law” chapter of the Lotus Sutra says, “[This Lotus Sutra is] the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand.” [In describing how difficult it will be to fulfill the teachings of the Lotus Sutra after the Buddha’s passing,] the “Treasure Tower” chapter speaks of the six difficult and nine easy acts.

The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai states, “Because the theoretical and the essential teachings [of the Lotus Sutra] contradict all the earlier sutras, they are extremely difficult to believe and difficult to understand.”

The Great Teacher Chang-an comments, “The Buddha intended these as his ultimate teachings. How could they ever be easy to understand?”

The Great Teacher Dengyō says, “The Lotus Sutra is the most difficult to believe and to understand because in it the Buddha directly revealed what he had attained.”

Those who were born in the days of Shakyamuni Buddha and heard his teachings in person had formed deep karmic bonds with him in past existences.

In addition, Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, as well as Many Treasures Buddha, the Buddhas of the ten directions who are Shakyamuni’s emanations, the countless Bodhisattvas of the Earth, and the other bodhisattvas such as Manjushrī and Maitreya, aided them and encouraged them to believe, but even then there were those who failed to take faith.

Five thousand people left the assembly, [arrogantly thinking that they had understood what they had not]. All human and heavenly beings [other than those already present in the assembly were moved to other worlds.

How much more difficult it was to believe in the Lotus Sutra after the Buddha’s passing—in the Former and Middle Days of the Law—and even more difficult it is now at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law! :shrug:

:hi: If it were easy for you to believe in, it would not be the Buddha’s correct teaching."
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

"Gosho: This Person Will Practice among the People
"This Person Will Practice among the People"

After I had not heard from you for some time, your letter arrived. In addition, I have received the quilted robe with a blue lining, a hat, a sash, one kan of coins and a basket of chestnuts.

The present time corresponds to the first five hundred years of the Latter Day of the Law. The text of the sutra clearly states that at this time, Bodhisattva Jogyo will make his advent and bestow the five characters of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo upon all the people of Japan. It also makes clear that he will face exile and execution. I, Nichiren, am like the emissary of Bodhisattva Jogyo, because I am spreading this doctrine.

The Jinriki chapter states: "Just as the light of the sun and moon illuminates all obscurity, this person will practice among the people and dispel the darkness of all beings." In this passage, in the statement, "this person will practice among the people," to whom do you think "this person" refers? I believe that it must indicate the person who is the reincarnation of Bodhisattva Jogyo. The sutra states, "After I have passed into extinction, one must accept and uphold this sutra. Such a person, with respect to the Buddha Way, is assured, and there can be no doubt."

You, too, are surely assisting Bodhisattva Jogyo's efforts of propagation.

Nichiren

The third day of the twelfth month in the second year of Kan (1279), cyclical sign tsuchinoto-u.

Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 6, page 285.

I am A Teacher of The Law :hi:

This Gosho is amazing :applause:

Sincerely Richard H Brown A Votary of The Gohonzon of Nam Myoho Renge

Return to “Nichiren”