The Twenty Important Principles of the Lotus Sutra acknowledged by Nichiren

illarraza

The Twenty Important Principles of the Lotus Sutra acknowledged by Nichiren

Post by illarraza »

1). Giving the prophecy of enlightenment in near future to the men of the two vehicles (chap. 3)
2). Showing (or Opening ) Buddha's original enlightenment and his immeasurable life span (chap 16)
3). Praising that benefits that will accrue even to the fiftieth person who rejoices upon hearing of it (chap 18)
4). Persons who hear the Lotus Sutra attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime (chap 17)
5). Shakyamuni showing that Devadatta was his teacher in a past life (chap 12)
6). Manjushiri showing that the eight-year-old dragon king's daughter was his student in a past life (chap 12)
7). The promise that anyone who hears only one phrase of the LS shall attain Buddhahood (chap 10)
8). Anyone who protects the name of the LS will receive innumerable benefits (chap 26)
9). Women who hear the chapter of Medicine King shall never be reborn as women (chap 23)
10). Anyone who hears, reads and recites the LS shall know neither old age nor death (chap 23)
11). Those who carry out five practices shall get to the stage of resemblance to enlightenment (chap 19)
12). Those who carry out the four Peaceful Practices shall get into copper-wheel in their dream (chap 14)
13). Those who vex or trouble the practitioners of the LS will have their heads split into seven pieces (chap 26)
14). Those who give alms to the practitioners of the LS will enjoy good fortune surpassing the ten honorific titles (chap 10)
15). Among the sutras Shakyamuni has preached, now preach, and will preach, the LS is the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand. (chap 11)
16). Offering ten similes to praise the teachings of the LS. (chap 23)
17). Maitreya not knowing any single one of Bodhisattvas of the Earth. (chap 15)
18). The Omen of Lotus in the east which even Manjushiri didn't understand (chap 24)
19). Teaching major world system dust particle kalpas to bodhisattvas of the theoretical teaching. (chap 07)
20). Giving a metaphor of numberless major world system dust particle kalpas to show the original enlightenment (chap 16)
Aemilius

Re: The Twenty Important Principles of the Lotus Sutra acknowledged by Nichiren

Post by Aemilius »

What is a "copper wheel" in no.12 ?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
john perry

Post by john perry »

I think it may have to do with prayer.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Might be a reference to the benefits of a copper wheel turning king.

:shrug:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

You've been holding out on us i see.
lol!!!!

I never heard of this .
what is the source , where is it from???? lots of these ????cause it is sort of exciting...
where did you get this from??? Are there more such things...

and did Nichiren Shonin ever do oral teachings that were recorded.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Aemilius wrote:What is a "copper wheel" in no.12 ?

Guru Rinpoche PadamSambahva is suppossed to be alive and well in copper mountain somewhere in Africa.
You use a copper bowl in Buddha Dzambhala practise.
so copper is a thing in buddhism.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Remind why this whole thing about women not being born women and so on.

I realize at the time women were regarded as inferior to men and that the Buddha said they too can attain Buddhahood , but they have to turn into men first.
I wonder how women feel about this today.

and why would this sort of thing be in a Sutra ?

most disheartening.
no disrespect meant , but obviously i might be showing some through my ignorance.

personally i think the female body affords more towards enlightenment due to the nature of giving birth...and the whole motherhood thing...
more ignorance :shrug:

also realize it was ground breaking to have any woman become enlightened at the time..or even predicted to become enlightened.

men eh!!! fracking hell....
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Before the answer comes out about women ,two things.

1 )not just what women today think , it was insensitive of me to not to think of what women of the past and at that time felt and thought.

2) which led to this thought...maybe that stuff in the Lotus Sutra was like some enlightened cause for women to be free on this planet in the future...like the story had some cause for the future. and more...Due to the Dragon Lady women eventually broke free...well not totally yet...but things are in motion for equality.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

From the Vimalakirti Sutra - Chapter VII
Śāriputra said, “Why do you not transform your female body?” The goddess said, “For the past twelve years I have sought the characteristic of being female and have comprehended it to be unattainable (i.e., imperceptible). Why should I transform it? It is as if a magician has created a conjured female. If someone asked her, ‘Why do you not transform your female body?’ would that person’s question be proper or not?”

Śāriputra said, “It would not. An indeterminate characteristic that has been conjured—why should it be transformed?”

The goddess said, “All dharmas are also like this, in being without determinate characteristics. So why do you ask, ‘Why do you not transform your female body?’”

Then the goddess used the power of numinous penetration and changed Śāriputra’s body to be like that of a goddess, and she transformed her own body to be like Śāriputra. She then asked, “Why do you not transform this female body?”

Śāriputra, in the goddess’s form, answered, “I do not know how you transformed me now into this female body.”

The goddess said, “Śāriputra, if you were able to transform this female body, then all females would also be able to transform themselves. Just as Śāriputra is not female but is manifesting a female body, so are all females likewise. Although they manifest female bodies, they are not female.

“Therefore, the Buddha has explained that all dharmas are neither male nor female.”

At this point the goddess withdrew her numinous power, and Śāriputra’s body returned to as it was before.

The goddess asked Śāriputra, “Now where does the characteristic of form of the female body occur?”

Śāriputra said, “The characteristic of form of the female body is without occurrence and without non-occurrence.”

The goddess said, “All the dharmas are also likewise, in being without occurrence and without non-occurrence. This ‘without occurrence and without non-occurrence’ is as the buddhas have explained.”
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

you never fail to surprise me queequeg.
just when i think you give me a non answer...i realize it is more than i hoped for.
ta very much
john perry

Post by john perry »

copper-wheel-turning king, the eastern and southern continents;
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

The texts says "people shall get into a copper-wheel in their dreams".
If it is the same thing as the different kinds of wheels of World Emperors (Chakravartins), i.e. gold, silver and copper wheels, (are there more of them?), it begins to look like that the wheels of the Chakravartins are something like the UFOs.
I had suspected this when I read the Lalitavistara sutra passage about the seven treasures of a Chakravartin.
The common explanations say that chakra is a kind of weapon used in ancient India. In the case of a Chakravartin it must be something much more precious, grand and important, so a UFO seems a more likely treasure (of a Chakravartin).
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Aemilius wrote:The texts says "people shall get into a copper-wheel in their dreams".
If it is the same thing as the different kinds of wheels of World Emperors (Chakravartins), i.e. gold, silver and copper wheels, (are there more of them?), it begins to look like that the wheels of the Chakravartins are something like the UFOs.
I had suspected this when I read the Lalitavistara sutra passage about the seven treasures of a Chakravartin.
The common explanations say that chakra is a kind of weapon used in ancient India. In the case of a Chakravartin it must be something much more precious, grand and important, so a UFO seems a more likely treasure (of a Chakravartin).
Are you talking outer space alien UFO's?

I always thought a Wheel Turning King was one who was instrumental in the safe keeping and spread of Dharma.
Maybe different metals being used in metaphor describe different peoples , different geography , warrant a slightly different Wheel.

I was taught that when The Buddha turns the Dharma Wheel , all sorts of teachings appear. Different gurus , teachers, etc. They all basically teach love and compassion and a way to liberation. Some take the long road for sentients , others take the fast road for sentients.

As for the The Wheel turning kings, these guys are protectors of the dharma produced from the Buddha turning the Wheel.

I actually believe in UFO's./ I also believe they don't really change much here on earth for they have evolved to the point , they realize it's pointless.

We have our own destiny to work out and our individual Karma to work out and this place and time suits the individual perfectly...whether it is to live out and endure an incurable disease , or live under a war mongering nightmare regime...or be rich and famous and beautiful and have every person drool to help you etc..
So why would they alter the nature of a samsaric event .
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I'm sure they tried for a while, and then finally concluded,
"These filthy, vicious things. Leave 'em on the rock. Yahoos."

A sign posted at the edge of the solar system reads, "Leave the wild life alone. The beings in this system have a tendency to be irrationally violent and spiteful. Keep a safe distance. DO NOT FEED. DO NOT TAKE ANY HOME. MINDSTREAMS ARE CONTAMINATED."

:alien:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote:I'm sure they tried for a while, and then finally concluded,
"These filthy, vicious things. Leave 'em on the rock. Yahoos."

A sign posted at the edge of the solar system reads, "Leave the wild life alone. The beings in this system have a tendency to be irrationally violent and spiteful. Keep a safe distance. DO NOT FEED. DO NOT TAKE ANY HOME. MINDSTREAMS ARE CONTAMINATED."

:alien:
yeah well evolution sucks eh !
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Aemilius wrote:What is a "copper wheel" in no.12 ?
Different wheels for different ages. For instance, a specific wheel for the age of dharma decline, for those who believe this is such an age.

Think of it like the old Greek classification of ages. Golden Age, Silver Age, etc.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
john perry

Post by john perry »

The copper wheel could be a condition or a function.
john perry

Post by john perry »

I wonder if Nicherin Daishonin experienced that?
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Queequeg wrote:From the Vimalakirti Sutra - Chapter VII
Śāriputra said, “Why do you not transform your female body?” The goddess said, “For the past twelve years I have sought the characteristic of being female and have comprehended it to be unattainable (i.e., imperceptible). Why should I transform it? It is as if a magician has created a conjured female. If someone asked her, ‘Why do you not transform your female body?’ would that person’s question be proper or not?”

Śāriputra said, “It would not. An indeterminate characteristic that has been conjured—why should it be transformed?”

The goddess said, “All dharmas are also like this, in being without determinate characteristics. So why do you ask, ‘Why do you not transform your female body?’”

Then the goddess used the power of numinous penetration and changed Śāriputra’s body to be like that of a goddess, and she transformed her own body to be like Śāriputra. She then asked, “Why do you not transform this female body?”

Śāriputra, in the goddess’s form, answered, “I do not know how you transformed me now into this female body.”

The goddess said, “Śāriputra, if you were able to transform this female body, then all females would also be able to transform themselves. Just as Śāriputra is not female but is manifesting a female body, so are all females likewise. Although they manifest female bodies, they are not female.

“Therefore, the Buddha has explained that all dharmas are neither male nor female.”

At this point the goddess withdrew her numinous power, and Śāriputra’s body returned to as it was before.

The goddess asked Śāriputra, “Now where does the characteristic of form of the female body occur?”

Śāriputra said, “The characteristic of form of the female body is without occurrence and without non-occurrence.”

The goddess said, “All the dharmas are also likewise, in being without occurrence and without non-occurrence. This ‘without occurrence and without non-occurrence’ is as the buddhas have explained.”
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
markatex

Post by markatex »

This is an old thread, but I’m wondering where this list comes from.

Return to “Nichiren”