What changes in your life have you noticed since chanting the daimoku?

bcol01

What changes in your life have you noticed since chanting the daimoku?

Post by bcol01 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:16 am

Hello everyone! Just wondering if some of you might share a bit of your experiences you've had since chanting daimoku. I think it may help to deepen one another's faith in Nichiren's Buddhism. Thanks :) :twothumbsup: :namaste:

narhwal90

Re: What changes in your life have you noticed since chanting the daimoku?

Post by narhwal90 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 am

I've been chanting since I started with the old NSA back in the late 80's, sometimes closer to the organization sometimes not. I can't say I ever felt much of anything other than a passing meditative calmness until 3 years ago when I got into 12-step recovery as related to a family member's alcohol issues.

Once I got familiar enough with the process to reasonably take the 3rd Step, invoking nmrk for reals and choosing to invest time, effort and honesty into practice with my local SGI people THEN I could see chanting start having effect. The effect it has is to calm and compose my mind, in a similar way to vipassana but with the focus being the gohonzon with the lotus sutra behind. I find its helpful to do both practices. I am less prone to getting caught up in frustration, resentment etc and have increased focus with the 12-Step work and whats going on with others around me. The big day-to-day win is getting and staying out of the habit of judgement of others, or even having opinions about them- I have never had as untroubled a mind as now even with life and the world taking the turns it does.

I never had any luck chanting for stuff, things happened or not as usual as far as I can tell- with the caveat that I am only imperfectly aware of a small part of what goes on around me. Nowadays I still don't chant for stuff, my day-to-day game is to chant and meditate so I can be of service and add something to life, and I'm happy with that as a goal. I don't think the difference between nmrk then and now is chanting with the SGI, but is getting out of my selfish self-centered attitude- and FWIW SGI face-time helps me do that in its own way. IIRC Nichiren wrote about chanting with a complaining mind erasing the benefit of the practice, which I think is a fair description of my experience.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:36 pm

I have no frame of reference to compare before and after. The vibrations of the Daimoku are probably among the first sensory experiences I had when my first sensory cells developed in the womb.

Growing up in a Buddhist home, I understood from an early point that craving was the cause of suffering. I also was told from an early age by a devout grandmother who survived the Great Kanto Earthquake and then the firebombing of Tokyo that things are ephemeral and that cultivation of the heart and mind were the only worthwhile endeavors. My mother, herself a survivor of the firebombing of Tokyo who's earliest memories included seeing the luminescent wisps of gas emitted by rotting bodies in the rubble, impressed upon me that the only hope for lasting peace in this world was the person by person awakening to Buddhahood. Life from the start was explained in terms of the mutual possession of the ten worlds and three thousand realms in a single thought moment, the oneness of body and mind, self and environment, person and dharma, of subject and object. All of this was framed within the Daimoku and the Gohonzon.

I can only relate what it has meant for me to have a consistent practice and not have a consistent practice. When my practice is consistent, my Buddhist learning is applied. When I am not consistently practicing, I'm swept up in the churning of samsara. When practicing, my mind is focused, my life in general is focused, and I am resistant to the winds of causes and effects around me - like a large, immovable stone in a river. At the same time, I feel more deeply open to the people and world around me in what I can only describe as a profound way - beyond the conventional boundaries and meanings that we generally use to structure the world. When I am not practicing consistently, my mood is volatile, details get in the way - my anger is roused easily.

The difference is something that feels beyond just cause and effect in a linear sense. When practicing consistently, its as if the fabric of reality itself is transformed. Things happen. :smile:
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates the problems."
-Modest Mouse

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:23 pm

I have been in and out of many Buddhist sects.
All of them shun away from practicing for material gain, except the Gakki.
And yet all sort of imply that things can happen for you if you practice.

Tibetan Buddhists have Buddha Dzambahla
http://www.lamayeshe.com/advice/dzambha ... ing-wealth

In a discussion with a rinpoche in a tibetan buddhist setting I once asked why people offer incence and bow down and pray for things when The Buddha made it quite clear to not pray to any god or demon or even me for aid.
Only you can help yourself.

and yet I prayed for my incurable father and he was cured of a rare disease where his bone marrow died for two years and then came back to life in two sections after i chanted for him.

it's really a strange thing to comprehend, and tell people.

I think along the lines of Queequeg where one must elavate their life condition every day and then see what happens.

My old man was converted and he said , and this sounds really Chritianesque(warning) "The Gohonzon knows what you want just do the practice and wait and see"

He was a Gakki member and he was trying to get across that focusing on things whilst chanting was wrong. "Let it happen "

Then there is the whole magical visualize you already have it whilst chanting and it must happen in you every day life.

All of which does not matter if your not mired in poverty or illness or lonely.

I often wonder what it is like for a wealthy beautiful not wanting person to live with this practice...sigh.....

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Minobu wrote: I often wonder what it is like for a wealthy beautiful not wanting person to live with this practice...sigh.....
Ask Tina Turner. She was a rock star, and yet, she was suffering some of the most primordial cave man BS courtesy of Ike.

I know Tina, but who is Ike?

Exactly.

phpBB [video]
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Or maybe ask Orlando Bloom.
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:46 pm

And he's apparently Shakuku'ing Katy Perry. :shrug:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... me-7865724
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Minobu wrote: I often wonder what it is like for a wealthy beautiful not wanting person to live with this practice...sigh.....
Ask Tina Turner. She was a rock star, and yet, she was suffering some of the most primordial cave man BS courtesy of Ike.
Yes that was before she chanted to end all that and find happiness.
She got the inspiration and will to leave him with chanting in the Gakki for a "THING"
got out of the relationship...was doing gigs like singing at a coca cola PR campaigns for sales managers...
Then rose to mega stardom on her own with one album, which unexpectedly fell into her lap.

I saw my father come back to life with the rarest leukaemia on the planet...CBC radio interviewed him, doctors were freaked out...this was all real..
I did seven hour a day chanting for that to happen...5 days...

then things slowed down to...

I was practicing minimum 3 hours a day chanting plus gongyo in the olden day long form. then add in two 45 minute meditation sessions...which sometimes at night went into a few hours.

It was a Shoshu priest who told me this was all wrong and to do like gongyo and 20 to 30 minutes chanting and stop meditating for this was not...exact quote "Buddhist Thought".. grrrr...i was young and full of the will to accomplish complete enlightenment and be the guy who would know, and could prove this philosophy for everyone back in the mid seventies when it was all so new.
That's all i wanted...to know and share it and be it .

It is not easy....flakes get nowhere...ask Nichiren Shonin...enlightenment is serious stuff for a householder...you have to make the commitment and have the vitality...

Somehow i lost the urge...my practice is pretty much just a service to myself and others out of "I know it's the right thing to do"
it's hard when you look back and see all the battles and in fighting with the "High Commanders"..
and then it's like...for me anyway...

how could i have been so stupid and trusted those assholes and listen to that priest tell me to take my wife out and have a few drinks and enjoy a show, and my life. The nerve of him to tell me what "Buddhist thought " is. all this when i was horrified looking at him drinking a large glass of sakki..like the guy is drinking!!!!!

one thing this philosophy taught me...I have no one to blame but myself...i made my bed and now i lie in it...

how did i let that happen...it's me...thats what you are davey...a flake who listened to the wrong idiot when you were a kid and full of life and hope.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Queequeg wrote:Or maybe ask Orlando Bloom.
lol thats who i had in mind...Courtney Love said on Letterman she was practicing Nichiren Buddhism...

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Queequeg wrote:And he's apparently Shakuku'ing Katy Perry. :shrug:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... me-7865724
God save me!!!!! Queequeg follows those links and answers the questions to get the inside scoop ....
egads....
The humanity

phpBB [video]

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:04 am

Dude, Queequeg spends way too much time reading the celebrity gossip columns. He should be more like 70s Minobu before the lazy priest got to him.

Seriously, the story about your father is amazing.

We don't know how many miles we have left in this precious human life. That's why the only conclusion I ever come to is, just do it.
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:27 am

The "stuff" proposition shows up a lot in SGI, experiences detailing how things happen apparently because of chanting are highly prized. I say "apparently" not because I think people are lying or mistaken, but I remain enough of a skeptic to hesitate about attributing causality. I reject no claims, this is only about my attitude about my own experience. Similar to what you mentioned Q, what I do see every day I am on top of my practice is an easier, more perceptive mind less prone to anger etc. But its more complex than that. This morning I awoke after a nice nights sleep and before I was up the monkey started in on a thorough exploration of my worst mental habits on many fronts. From long experience I know that smiling to make it better or trying to distract myself doesn't help much, and it only takes something like an inconsiderate driver to trigger it again. However, new habits apply nowadays, so I did a thorough gongyo & chanting with my mind bouncing around like a marble dropped into a gutter- with the result that the crazy drained away and stayed away all day leaving me deeply grateful I have this practice.

I thought about this thread a bunch today, bearing in mind the other posts. I actually do offer prayers for stuff; please help me be free from bondage of self so I may be of service, may all out there suffering in the cold find a warm place, all those driven by all the forms of suffering find repose even if just for a moment. I have a few individuals I particularly mention as well. I have no idea if chanting or prayers have any effect on the universe outside my own skin but I do know it gets me out of mental dark places, and in so doing, perhaps I can do a little better along the lines St Francis proposes; where there is darkness bring light- where injury, pardon- where sadness, joy and so on. Might be that the effect of such prayers on the universe outside of my skin are the actions I take as a consequence- no action at a distance required.

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:15 am

"In the Sutra it says, 'This good excellent medicine now I leave here. You should take and swallow it. Do not worry that you will not be cured.' It also says, 'This Sutra then is the Excellent medicine for the sick people of Jambudvipa. If there shall be sick people who are able to hear this Sutra, the sickness shall at once dissipate and they shall not die before they grow old.' In the Sublime Writings of Nichiren Shonin it says, 'Though one were to point at the earth and miss, though there were those who snare the empty sky, though the tide were not to come in, though the sun were to rise from the west, it cannot be that the prayers of the Practitioner of the Hokekyo ever fail."

Since this is true without the slightest doubt, all other prayers are answered expeditiously. I chanted to be a doctor and I have assisted in solving the problems of thousands of individuals; to have a loving and caring wife and family; to stop smoking two packs of cigarettes a day for 47 years [on June 1]; and lately, to be able to continue to work full time despite a life threatening illness [about to be cured by a kidney donated by friend].

My priest cured himself of a malignant brain tumor more than twenty years ago.

Mark

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:19 am

I met some people I ended up with mixed feelings about.
I just don't belong.