Links and references

Yavana

Links and references

Post by Yavana »

I would like to propose a sticky thread for this subforum where we can post links and references pertinent to the study of Nichiren Buddhism.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Links and references

Post by Queequeg »

Great idea.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

it was metnioned by Q that there are other nichiren forums where we can be more hostile..

does anyone know where i can find this..

maybe it's more for me at this juncture :tongue: :stirthepot: :woohoo: :toilet:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

check out the file section and photo section of this yahoo forum
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GohonzonInfo/info
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

The Cicada wrote:I would like to propose a sticky thread for this subforum where we can post links and references pertinent to the study of Nichiren Buddhism.
You know Minobu, you are welcome to have your say on my blog but whatever it is that you posit should be backed up with the Three Proofs.

Mark
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

illarraza wrote:
The Cicada wrote:I would like to propose a sticky thread for this subforum where we can post links and references pertinent to the study of Nichiren Buddhism.
You know Minobu, you are welcome to have your say on my blog but whatever it is that you posit should be backed up with the Three Proofs.

Mark
thanks mark :)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Should have done this a while ago-

So, with the winter break coming up, I am looking forward to having some time on my hands (hopefully) to do some house keeping, including doing something with this sticky post. I am going to amend the top post in this thread - Cicada, looks like you will get to go down as the Great Librarian - to add the links so we have them available right at the top. If anyone has anything to add, please post in the thread and we'll put it into the lead post.

This should have been added - http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... /home.html

This is our pal Narwhal's great contribution - hosting of the now defunct nichirenscoffeehouse.net site.

:applause:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm Cicada, looks like you will get to go down as the Great Librarian - to add the links so we have them available right at the top.
I was really aiming to be the Diogenes of Buddhism in the West seeing as the current state of our culture is often much ado about dukkha.

I've been meaning to come back to this thread with a list of pertinent links but haven't gotten around to it yet. Obviously. I anticipate I'll get around to it within this very lifetime, I swear.

:namaste:
bfm1989

Post by bfm1989 »

I know it is run by an SGI member but the American Gongyo website is really helpful in learning pronunciation and recitation of both Gongyo and Daimoku. Granted the site now is a bit dated (looks like it was last updated several years ago) it is still intact and I don’t see why it wouldn’t be informative for some one who is either new or struggling.
http://americangongyo.org/index.php
There is a similar site called easy Gongyo but last time I checked there were no audio components to it.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Really need to do something with this thread. In the meantime, came across this someone might find interesting.

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/i ... t-assembly

"As I watched that episode, I realized that the Lotus Sutra was trying to lead me to inner immensity. The text generates a Great Assembly that blows the mind with its expansiveness (all of which is set on a platform no bigger than the average Manhattan apartment). It is trying to tell us that there is something wonderfully cosmic about the inner world. Something that goes beyond time, space, or even reason. Awakening will blow our minds with its immensity, defying all reasonable possibility. It will seem absurd, because under normal circumstances it is. The opening paragraph of the Lotus Sutra is not trying to be reasonable, nor is it likely trying to be literal. It is pointing to something beyond my own capacity for understanding and inviting me to try to see it; to see something so big that I become small in the process. Like watching Earth fade into nothingness as the virtual camera pulls away."

At the heart of the sutra we find:
“Suppose a person were to take five hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million nayuta asamkhya major world systems and grind them to dust. Then, moving eastward, each time he passes five hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million nayuta asamkhya worlds he drops a particle of dust. He continues eastward in this way until he has finished dropping all the particles. Good men, what is your opinion? Can the total number of all these worlds be imagined or calculated?”

The bodhisattva Maitreya and the others said to the Buddha: “World-Honored One, these worlds are immeasurable, boundless—one cannot calculate their number, nor does the mind have the power to encompass them. Even all the voice-hearers and pratyekabuddhas with their wisdom free of outflows could not imagine or understand how many there are. Although we abide in the stage of non-regression, we cannot comprehend such a matter. World-Honored One, these worlds are immeasurable and boundless.”

At that time the Buddha said to the multitude of great bodhisattvas: “Good men, now I will state this to you clearly. Suppose all these worlds, whether they received a particle of dust or not, are once more reduced to dust. Let one particle represent one kalpa. The time that has passed since I attained buddhahood surpasses this by a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million nayuta asamkhya kalpas.
Substitute that for your Earth Kasina... Even Maitreya can't grok it. Imagine if you could, for a moment, grok it... and then, like an Earth Kasina upon which single pointed concentration has been achieved - take it away and concentrate on its absence.

"The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions."
-(maybe) Ralph Waldo Emerson
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

the source is maybe despised, but i liked. i've never read it before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichiren_Buddhism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichiren
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Very interesting :

The Historical Context of Nichiren’s of “Chanting - Hoyo Watanabe

Esoteric Buddhism within the Framework of the Lotus Sutra
Buddhism of Nichiren
Gyokai Sekido
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

mansurhirbi87 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:34 pm Very interesting :

The Historical Context of Nichiren’s of “Chanting - Hoyo Watanabe

Esoteric Buddhism within the Framework of the Lotus Sutra
Buddhism of Nichiren
Gyokai Sekido
link?
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/result/jou ... Records=20

type in the search the authors names or nichiren, etc.

There is one article that he discuss about Shakyamui Nature understood by Nichiren a subject that you have trying to figure out a lot , i think
Budai

Post by Budai »

Many of you may be familiar with this, but it is worth a note, as it contains the writings of Nichiren, the text of the Lotus Sutra as translated by Burton Watson in it's current form, a record of Orally Transmitted Teachings, and a powerful SGI Dictionary of Buddhism which contains basic and advanced definitions on topics, names, and meanings many may have interest in. Here is the link, it is an SGI website:

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Om.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Also here is a link to where one can buy the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai translation of the Lotus Sutra if they want a hardcover:

https://bdkamerica.org/product/the-lotu ... d-edition/

It is also available for free as a PDF right there, but if you want a hardcover to keep with you in book form you can get it there as well.

The Sokka Gakkai International Bookstore ( https://bookstore.sgi-usa.org/ ) is currently under construction, but when it is available a SGI Lotus Sutra should be purchasable there as well. I have purchased both books before from both places. Both Sutra translations complement each other and the primary difference between the two is that the BDK version has transliterations of Buddhist names from Sanskrit, while the SGI version has the names translated directly into English, such as "Buddha Universal Worthy." Both books are English translations. The SGI version of the Lotus Sutra can be read for free as well, in the Nichiren Buddhist Library link that I posted in the post before this one. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
Last edited by Budai on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Nichiren”