Shakyamuni as the Eternal Buddha

illarraza

Re: Shakyamuni as the Eternal Buddha

Post by illarraza »

"Answer: ... As to the Object of Worship erected in the 'Chapter of the Measure of the Life Span', the Master of Teachings Lord Shakya of the Inherent Uncreate Bodies Who since the time past kalpas as many as the dust of countries touched or not by the dust of five hundred of myriads of kotis of nayutas of asamkheyas of great trichiliocosms (gohyaku jindengo) has had a profound and close link with this Saha Land, refers to [or, is] this" (San daihi ho sho, STN, v. 2, 1864 ).

Of all the Buddhas only Shakyamuni Buddha has had a profound and close link with this Saha Land. Nichiren says in Repaying Debts of Gratitude...

"Japan and so on to the whole of Jambudvipa should uniformly take the Master of Teachings Lord Shakya of the Doctrine of the Original as the Object of Worship. Which is to say, Shakya and Taho within the Jeweled Stupa, the various Buddhas outside as well as the Four Bodhisattvas, Jogyo and the others, are to become the side attendants" (Hoon sho, STN, v. 2,1248).

Therefore, the Gohonzon itself is the Master of Teachings.

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Here is what Nichiren teaches about men such as Malcolm...

"The Bodhisattva Manjushri says. 'I have only constantly proclaimed and preached the Sublime Dharma Flower Sutra.' The essence among the eight characters [of this phrase in the Chinese text] is the two characters 'Only constantly'(yui jo). .... In the Sutra of Immeasurable Meanings it says, 'For more than forty years I have not yet revealed the Truth.' In the Hokekyo (Dharma Flower Sutra) it says, 'As to the World Honored One's Dharma after a long time He certainly is going to speak the Truth.' The Buddha Taho says, 'It is all the Truth' and so determines that only in the Hokekyo is there Attainment of Buddhahood in this Very Body. No matter how much they preach that there is attainment of Buddhahood in the Previous Sutras, or how the people of the Provisional Sects madly rave, it will be 'one hammer to a thousand earthen pans'" (Ueno dono gohenji (Reply to Lord Ueno), STN, v. 2, 1634

Mark
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm
tiagolps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm He definitely commented on Shingon.
Did he receive initiation in Shingon or Tendai? Didn't really understand that part...
Yes he did, he received Abhisheka in the two mandalas of Garbhadhatu and Vajradhatu!
I was asking the school :tongue:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Cicada wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 pm
I don't remember what I ate for lunch the day before yesterday. In fact, after I started keeping a serious journal, I was amazed at how many very important details I'm apt to forget. Sometimes even major events I put behind me and move on without thinking about them in depth for quite some time. Sometimes we forget to visit our father in this life and more so Shakyamuni on Eagle Peak. Sometimes we forget the arrows we drove through solid rock. Sometimes we forget eternity. But I have it on good authority that, in a way, I never left, and there are times during my practice when I've genuinely felt like it, and times when the positive results of sincere practice were too concrete to deny.

:namaste:
This is called "dissembling."

But perhaps if you actually travel to India, and climb up Vulture Peak, you will have a pure vision. I sincerely hope so.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

illarraza wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 am Here is what Nichiren teaches about men such as Malcolm...
These kinds of polemics are not only cheap, but excessively parochial, not to mention completely anachronistic.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

illarraza wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:58 am Nichiren's One Buddha Doctrine is ever more profound.

Mark
hmmm...never heard of this...which does not mean it isn't true..
could you elaborate...
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm This is called "dissembling."
One day... when all of my child support obligations have been expiated, I might give up household life to pursue vigorous Buddhist study and argue with you in strenuously pedantic fine detail about seemingly abstruse vectors of Buddhist doctrine until, eventually, like the Mongols declaring war upon the world in a remote yurt on the steppes, a powerful sword of Dharmic wisdom will cut through the Gordian knot of seemingly disparate Buddhist doctrines down to the very atom, unleashing a light from the internet that will usher in a new age of awakening for the Earth in the interim until the next Buddha and transform the karma of the entire world-system.

Until then, bye Felicia.

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo.

:namaste:
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Minobu wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:09 pm
illarraza wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:58 am Nichiren's One Buddha Doctrine is ever more profound.

Mark

hmmm...never heard of this...which does not mean it isn't true..
could you elaborate...
Please see also my latest topic Hongaku and Hongaku Shiso. Please also see these two posts:

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2017/10/n ... uddha.html

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2017/10/o ... uddha.html

Mark
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm
illarraza wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 am Here is what Nichiren teaches about men such as Malcolm...
These kinds of polemics are not only cheap, but excessively parochial, not to mention completely anachronistic.
I mean didn't Nichiren also say similar things about people Kukai, Shan Dao, Ennin, etc. I wouldn't mind being compared to them :rolling:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Cicada wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm This is called "dissembling."
One day... when all of my child support obligations have been expiated, I might give up household life to pursue vigorous Buddhist study and argue with you in strenuously pedantic fine detail about seemingly abstruse vectors of Buddhist doctrine until, eventually, like the Mongols declaring war upon the world in a remote yurt on the steppes, a powerful sword of Dharmic wisdom will cut through the Gordian knot of seemingly disparate Buddhist doctrines down to the very atom, unleashing a light from the internet that will usher in a new age of awakening for the Earth in the interim until the next Buddha and transform the karma of the entire world-system.
You will be reborn as my disciple first.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ItsRaining wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:08 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm
I mean didn't Nichiren also say similar things about people Kukai, Shan Dao, Ennin, etc. I wouldn't mind being compared to them :rolling:
We attempted a discussion of this topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=24694
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

"The Bodhisattva Manjushri says. 'I have only constantly proclaimed and preached the Sublime Dharma Flower Sutra.' The essence among the eight characters [of this phrase in the Chinese text] is the two characters 'Only constantly'(yui jo). .... In the Sutra of Immeasurable Meanings it says, 'For more than forty years I have not yet revealed the Truth.' In the Hokekyo (Dharma Flower Sutra) it says, 'As to the World Honored One's Dharma after a long time He certainly is going to speak the Truth.' The Buddha Taho says, 'It is all the Truth' and so determines that only in the Hokekyo is there Attainment of Buddhahood in this Very Body. No matter how much they preach that there is attainment of Buddhahood in the Previous Sutras, or how the people of the Provisional Sects madly rave, it will be 'one hammer to a thousand earthen pans'" (Ueno dono gohenji (Reply to Lord Ueno), STN, v. 2, 1634
OK, since you brought it up, here's a discussion that directly concerns some of the writings you have published online--a certain lack of accountability to fact or reason is in evidence

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23055

Happy reading

:reading:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

OK, then. Discussion of the original topic has petered out, we've pivoted to other matters, and now devolved into personal sniping and insults.

If people are interested in taking up some of the subjects that emerged in the last few pages, PM me and I will split those off. We will probably do some clean up here as well.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”