Nichiren and Tantra - Split from Shakyamuni as the Eternal Buddha

Tuybachau

Re: Nichiren and Tantra

Post by Tuybachau »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 pm Tientai is a gradual path, even its Perfect teaching is in fact a gradual path.
Why do you say so?
The true path is not really a "path" as it does not lead to anywhere in or out of the three spheres.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Tuybachau wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 pm Tientai is a gradual path, even its Perfect teaching is in fact a gradual path.
Why do you say so?
The true path is not really a "path" as it does not lead to anywhere in or out of the three spheres.

...like Tiantai is arbitrarily denied being?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Tuybachau

Post by Tuybachau »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 pm
Why do you say so?

Well, he did not tell you that the sutra also teach

- incalculable eons are but as long as a single thought.
- trichiliocosm is but as large as a single pore.
- there is no gradualness, no suddenness as past, present, future are not established.
- there is no body, no mind, no bodhisattva, no bhumi, no buddha, no attainment.

I was reminding those who don't know not to seek anything such as "sudden attainment of buddhahood in this body" in or out of the three spheres.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Tuybachau wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:48 am

- there is no gradualness, no suddenness as past, present, future are not established.
- there is no body, no mind, no bodhisattva, no bhumi, no buddha, no attainment.

I was reminding those who don't know not to seek anything such as "sudden attainment of buddhahood in this body" in or out of the three spheres.
Could you source your points? Thanks.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

He has informed me of all of this, and that "sudden attainment of buddhahood in this body" is simply a string of words, like any other similar string. Did he teach you not to discourage others from Dharma practice by spreading misconceptions, such as the misconception that individuals here, presumably because of their school or tradition, do not even understand the basic shravaka teaching that "Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer, no doer, though certainly the deed is found, peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased, the way is walked, but no walker's to be found."

To which Mahayana adds further negations. But I am sure your accusations of others' ignorance and others' followings of the teachings of Mara are well-founded. :shrug:

Tuybachau

Post by Tuybachau »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:01 pm

...]
"Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer, no doer, though certainly the deed is found, peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased, the way is walked, but no walker's to be found."
Well try to imitate the my words. However, you need to learn more and more importantly you need your own realization that:

- there is certainly no suffering just as there is no sufferer..
- peace is not achieved just as you do not achieve anything..
Tuybachau

Post by Tuybachau »

The Cicada wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Could you source your points? Thanks.
Avatamsaka sutra chapter 19-21, chapter 39
Vimalakirti Sutra
Mahaprajnaparamita sutra
Diamond sutra, heart sutra..
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

All of this is true when in a state of equipoise on suchness. None of it is true from the conventional, deluded point of view. Now, ask yourself, are you a Buddha or are you a sentient being? There is no much difference between the two...but, the difference is a chasm.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Tuybachau wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Well try to imitate the my words. However, you need to learn more and more importantly you need your own realization that:

- there is certainly no suffering just as there is no sufferer..
- peace is not achieved just as you do not achieve anything..
Ven Buddhaghosa said the above, not you.

Tuybachau

Post by Tuybachau »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 pm

All of this is true when in a state of equipoise on suchness. None of it is true from the conventional, deluded point of view. Now, ask yourself, are you a Buddha or are you a sentient being? There is no much difference between the two...but, the difference is a chasm.
- suchness is not a state, either is its realization. That's why i told you confuse buddha nature with view.
- not buddha, not sentient. I'm sure you do not know this.
Last edited by Tuybachau on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tuybachau wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm - suchness is not a state, so is its realization. That's why i told you confuse buddha nature with view.
I did not say a state of suchness, I said "a state of equipoise..." However, the term "state" is used for suchness in such sutras as the PP in 8000 lines and so on.

Buddhanature is a view. Ordinary people have to take it on faith since they cannot see the dharmakāya of the buddhas for themselves. Only buddhas can see the dharmakāya.
Minobu

Re: Nichiren and Tantra - Split from Shakyamuni as the Eternal Buddha

Post by Minobu »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Buddhanature is a view. Ordinary people have to take it on faith since they cannot see the dharmakāya of the buddhas for themselves. Only buddhas can see the dharmakāya.

Well i think the practice that Nichiren laid out is tantric in nature.
If you look at Buddhist tantra what have you got in a nutshell.
You take Bodhisattva vows and pledges,
move on to preparing oneself for the arrival of Buddhas into your body and mindstream
call forth Buddhas from the ten directions or a pure land or Sambhogakaya
have them enter you and then you transform into a Buddha and do Buddha stuff.

i don't want to give away secret doctrine here so it was nutshell stuff for those that know what i am saying.. We are taught we are tathagatagarbha and it is from this it all works out for each of us...we visualize and practice and become...

Nichiren Daishonin teaches us we have the seed of Buddhahood, and that everything we are going to take refuge in on gohonzon is inside us.
so we know what we are..Buddha...then we slowly over time try to become that in each session of practice, whether one knows it or not...which is the beauty.
It's hard to articulate but it's the same thing...only we use the characters representing Buddhas and bodhisattvas and various energies and protective deities.
lineage is on gohonzon as well .

It's Tantric. pure Tantra...you are putting your mindstream into the mandala ...you develop over time...you are buddha and you use Tantra to realize it in reality ...your life becomes a study tool in Nichiren daishonin's teachings...You use your daily life to develope your Buddha Nature and incorporate it in every aspect of every moment of your life...

It's suited to the degenerative times...the thing is even though this is the degenerative times...our collective unconsciousness and our evolution as a species here on earth has grown...dna memory plays into it...We are a different species so to speak than a thousand years ago, more advanced evolution wise on every level, and all we have done is part and parcel to everyone.

i wish i could articulate it more...take it as a stepping stone to an idea formed ....
Malcolm

Re: Nichiren and Tantra - Split from Shakyamuni as the Eternal Buddha

Post by Malcolm »

Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Well i think the practice that Nichiren laid out is tantric in nature.
It is certainly true that Mantrayāna certainly deeply influenced all 13th century expressions of Japanese Buddhism stemming from the Tendai school.
Tuybachau

Post by Tuybachau »

Tuybachau wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm - suchness is not a state, so is its realization. That's why i told you confuse buddha nature with view.
I did not say a state of suchness, I said "a state of equipoise..." However, the term "state" is used for suchness in such sutras as the PP in 8000 lines and so on.

若見諸相非相則見如來
Yavat Subhute laksana-sampat tavan mrsa, yavadalaksana-sampat tavan na mrseti hi laksana-alaksanatas Tathagato drastavyah.

'Wherever there is possession of marks, there is fraud, wherever there is no-possessionof no-marks there is no fraud. Hence the Tathagata is to be seen from no marks as marks.'
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tuybachau wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 pm

若見諸相非相則見如來
Yavat Subhute laksana-sampat tavan mrsa, yavadalaksana-sampat tavan na mrseti hi laksana-alaksanatas Tathagato drastavyah.

'Wherever there is possession of marks, there is fraud, wherever there is no-possessionof no-marks there is no fraud. Hence the Tathagata is to be seen from no marks as marks.'
Yes. So what? This is not some amazing revelation you have produced for us. We all know that the three gates of liberation are śunyatā, alakṣaṇa, and apraṇidhana.

But this is something one experiences in āryan equipoise. It is not accessible to ordinary people such as myself. I have no idea about you.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Tuybachau wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 pm
若見諸相非相則見如來

The Chinese you have cited seemingly only vaguely and barely corresponds to the fullness of the English and the Sanskrit you have provided. Perhaps you did not copy and paste the full passage? It seems to be a fragment of what you meant to put forward.

If such is not the case, can you explain to me how the Chinese there corresponds with the fullness of the English and Sanskrit you have provided? My Chinese is hardly encyclopaedic.

---------
---------
---------

Nvm, I found what you meant to cite, the passage in question from the Vajracchedikāprajñāpāramitāsūtra, quite possibly the commentary, if your formatting was correct:

「凡所有相,皆是虛妄。若見諸相非相,則見如來。」

That is the fullness of what you meant to cite.

illarraza

Re: Shakyamuni as the Eternal Buddha

Post by illarraza »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm Maybe? As scholars have pointed out, the sectarian divides were not what later commentators with sectarian agendas made them out to be. Nichiren made numerous references to esoteric rites. It's not clear how these exactly figured in his views, except that they were subordinate to the Lotus.
"Myōun was the fiftieth chief priest of the Tendai school. He was punished by the retired emperor4 in the fifth month of the second year of Angen (1176) and ordered into exile in the province of Izu. En route, however, he was rescued at Ōtsu by his priests from Mount Hiei. He reassumed his position as chief priest, but in the eleventh month of the second year of Juei (1183), he was captured by [Minamoto no] Yoshinaka5 and beheaded. I am not saying that being exiled or beheaded is in itself an indication of fault. Even sages and worthies undergo such things.

When civil war broke out between Yoritomo of the Minamoto clan and Kiyomori of the Taira clan, more than twenty of Kiyomori’s clansmen signed a pledge and affixed their seals. They vowed: “We will look to Mount Hiei as our clan temple. We will revere the three thousand monks as our own parents. The sorrows of the mountain temple will be our sorrows, and the joys of the mountain temple, our joys.” They donated all the twenty-four districts of Omi Province to the temple. Then the chief priest [Myōun] and his disciples employed all the rites of the True Word teachings in their prayers to vanquish the enemy and even ordered their armed priests to shoot arrows at the Minamoto soldiers. Yoshinaka [of the Minamoto clan] and one of his retainers, Higuchi, however, accompanied by a mere five or six men, climbed Mount Hiei and burst into the main hall. They dragged Myōun from the platform where he was praying for victory, bound him with a rope, rolled him down the west slope of the mountain like a big stone, and beheaded him. Nevertheless, the people of Japan do not shun the True Word teachings, nor have they ever delved into this matter.

During the fifth, sixth, and seventh months of the third year of Jōkyū (1221), the cyclical sign kanoto-mi, the imperial court and the barbarian warriors engaged in combat.6 At that time Mount Hiei, Tō-ji, the seven major temples of Nara, Onjō-ji, and the other temples each performed all the most esoteric rites of the True Word school in their prayers to the Sun Goddess, Great Bodhisattva Hachiman, the Mountain King,7 and other deities. Forty-one of the most renowned priests, including the General Administrator of Priests Jien, a former chief priest of the Tendai school, and the administrators of priests of Tō-ji, of Omuro,8 and of the Jōjū-in hall of Onjō-ji temple, prayed repeatedly for [Hōjō] Yoshitoki’s defeat.
The prelate of Omuro also began a ceremony to overpower the enemies in Shishin-den Palace on the eighth day of the sixth month. He proclaimed that the imperial court would be victorious within seven days. But on the seventh day—the fourteenth day of the sixth month—the battle ended in defeat, and the prelate died of extreme grief because his beloved page, Setaka, had been beheaded. Yet despite all this, no one ever wondered what was wrong with the True Word doctrines. The ceremonies that incorporated all the True Word doctrines—the first conducted by Myōun and the second pby Jien—resulted in the complete collapse of royal rule in Japan..." -- Eight Winds

This is how Nichiren felt about the True Word (Shingon) teachings.

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

"Is any single great matter to be found in the other sutras? The Lotus Sutra contains twenty outstanding principles. Among those twenty, the most vital is the “Life Span” chapter’s revelation that the Buddha first attained enlightenment numberless major world system dust particle kalpas ago. People may well wonder what this revelation means. Explain that it teaches that common people like ourselves, who have been submerged in the sufferings of birth and death since time without beginning and who never so much as dreamed of reaching the shore of enlightenment, become the Thus Come Ones who are originally enlightened and endowed with the three bodies. That is, it reveals the ultimate principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. From this perspective, you should firmly establish that the Lotus Sutra is the most profound among all the Buddha’s teachings." -- Teaching, Practice, and Proof

And in the Opening of the Eyes we read:

When we come to the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra, then the belief that Shakyamuni first obtained Buddhahood during his present lifetime is demolished, and the effects of the four teachings are likewise demolished. When the effects of the four teachings are demolished, the causes51 of the four teachings are likewise demolished. Thus the cause and effect of the Ten Worlds as expounded in the earlier sutras and the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra are wiped out, and the cause and effect of the Ten Worlds52 in the essential teaching are revealed. This is the doctrine of original cause and original effect. It reveals that the nine worlds are all present in beginningless Buddhahood and that Buddhahood is inherent in the beginningless nine worlds. This is the true mutual possession of the Ten Worlds, the true hundred worlds and thousand factors, the true three thousand realms in a single moment of life.

When we consider the matter in this light, we can see that Vairochana Buddha seated on the lotus pedestal of the ten directions as described in the Flower Garland Sutra, the little Shakyamuni described in the Āgama sutras,53 and the provisional Buddhas described in the sutras of the Correct and Equal and the Wisdom periods such as the Golden Light, Amida, and Mahāvairochana sutras are no more than reflections of p.236the Buddha of the “Life Span” chapter. They are like fleeting reflections of the moon that float on the surfaces of various large and small bodies of water. The scholars of the various schools of Buddhism, confused as to [the nature of the Buddhas of] their own school and, more fundamentally, ignorant of [the Buddha of] the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra, mistake the reflection in the water for the actual moon, some of them entering the water and trying to grasp it in their hands, others attempting to snare it with a rope. As T’ien-t’ai says, “They know nothing of the moon in the sky, but gaze only at the moon in the pond.”

Nichiren on Attaining Buddhahood in One's Present Form (is only realized through the Lotus Sutra):

http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1 ... 151#para-0
Tuybachau

Post by Tuybachau »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 pm
We all know that the three gates of liberation are śunyatā, alakṣaṇa, and apraṇidhana. 

But this is something one experiences in āryan equipoise. It is not accessible to ordinary people such as myself. I have no idea about you.
- No, you don't know alaksana.. If you do, you see the tathagata and you do not seek buddhahood in this body.
- do not seek an experience in aryan equipoise, then it is accessible and there is no longer any ordinary person.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tuybachau wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:45 am
Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 pm
We all know that the three gates of liberation are śunyatā, alakṣaṇa, and apraṇidhana. 

- No, you don't know alaksana.. If you do, you see the tathagata and you do not seek buddhahood in this body.
- do not seek an experience in aryan equipoise, then it is accessible and there is no longer any ordinary person.
Words are very easy to say, aren't they? Parrots can say words too. But they don't understand them. In any case, none of your points are novel, or even that interesting. When you accumulate more merit, more people might be interested in hearing you out. But that would require admitting you're just a person on the internet spewing concepts like everyone else.

Return to “Nichiren”