If our honesty is hurtful to some, should we remain silent?

bcol01

If our honesty is hurtful to some, should we remain silent?

Post by bcol01 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi everyone! So the reason I'm asking this question is because I currently am blogging about Nichiren Buddhism and I want to share a bit about my life, how I grew up and what I went through. My family has my blog address and I'm worried that my mother (whom I have an estranged relationship with) or others in my family will be upset because I'm speaking my truth. I don't want to upset them but I must share my life story so that I can express myself and hopefully heal and be a source of encouragement to others. My mother was very neglectful towards me growing up and I've never really been allowed to talk about the things I've gone through. I feel like even though my mother and I haven't seen one another in over 16 years, she still has me bullied into silence. Just need some advice.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: If our honesty is hurtful to some, should we remain silent?

Post by Queequeg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Ride the dharma where it takes you.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates the problems."
-Modest Mouse

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world!"
-The Grateful Dead

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:20 pm

bcol01 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:53 pm
I feel like even though my mother and I haven't seen one another in over 16 years, she still has me bullied into silence. Just need some advice.
My advice? Seperate your blog. If it is that big an issue, don't stir it up. Especially if she will be negative towards Buddhism as a result of it. Make your blog seperate from your family.
並畢竟空。並如來藏。並實相。非三 而三三而不三。非合非散而合而散。非非合非非散。不可一異而一異。
All three truths are ultimately empty, all are tathāgatagarbha, all are true aspect. Not three, they are three; three, they are not three. Neither combined nor separated, neither uncombined nor unseparated. Neither same nor different, yet in a sense same, and in a sense different.

夫三諦者。 天然之性徳也。 中諦者。 統一切法。 眞諦者。 泯一切法。 俗諦者。 立一切法。
The three truths. Heaven-sent natural characteristics. The middle truth unifies all dharmas. The ultimate truth demolishes all dharmas. The conventional truth establishes all dharmas.

摩訶止観始終心要Móhēzhǐguān, Shǐzhōngxīnyào.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:14 pm
and when the wave breaks you become the foam and then the wave ripple on the sand only to be sucked into the Ocean.
salvation is a rip tide.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Yep, someimes silence is more helpful than honesty and sometimes honesty is more helpful than silence bbut only when shared at the right time and in the right circumstances. A nice fitting quote ( but generally misattributed to the Buddha),

If it is not truthful and not helpful, don’t say it.
If it is truthful and not helpful, don’t say it.
If it is not truthful yet helpful, don’t say it.
If it is truthful and helpful, wait for the right time.'

Canonical quote from the Buddha which more or less says the same thing.

“Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

“It is spoken at the right time.
It is spoken in truth.
It is spoken affectionately.
It is spoken beneficially.
It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

A statement endowed with these five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people.”
"The changing cycle of joy and sorrow, like the changing seasons –
As a time of suffering will surely come around to me,
May I truly practice the sublime teachings."
- Dudjom Rinpoche

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Vasana wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:20 pm
Yep, someimes silence is more helpful than honesty and sometimes honesty is more helpful than silence bbut only when shared at the right time and in the right circumstances. A nice fitting quote ( but generally misattributed to the Buddha),

If it is not truthful and not helpful, don’t say it.
If it is truthful and not helpful, don’t say it.
If it is not truthful yet helpful, don’t say it.
If it is truthful and helpful, wait for the right time.'

Canonical quote from the Buddha which more or less says the same thing.

“Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

“It is spoken at the right time.
It is spoken in truth.
It is spoken affectionately.
It is spoken beneficially.
It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

A statement endowed with these five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people.”
Those are great quotes.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates the problems."
-Modest Mouse

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world!"
-The Grateful Dead

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 pm

How poetic of you :)

:twothumbsup:
Minobu wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:39 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:14 pm
and when the wave breaks you become the foam and then the wave ripple on the sand only to be sucked into the Ocean.
salvation is a rip tide.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:25 am

The criteria for deciding what is worth saying

[1] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

— MN 58
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 am

My mother-in-law was a bit similar. I think, if you have to express yourself, you should not be silenced.
The best idea is to create a new blog address and not mention it to your family.

On the other hand, if Buddhism is not concerned, I think, a little homeopathic dose of honesty is very important for those mothers. Truth is a strong medicine. It's not necessary to beat people up with it. But a little hint gives her the chance to find out the truth by herself.

Again on the other hand, not everything we regard as truth is really true. For this reason it is very important to listen and observe.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

bokki

Post by bokki » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:47 pm

I feel like even though my mother and I haven't seen one another in over 16 years, she still has me bullied into silence. Just need some advice.
please, my friend, try to see your mother and hug her. forget what has been, forgive her and yourself. even if she does not respond, or declines, please, bro, know that you have done what is right, by you and your mother.
try to be a friend to your mom.
i know its hard, but lets be men and do right.
blog? who cares..
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
Zen Space Forum

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 am

bcol01 wrote:
Hi everyone! So the reason I'm asking this question is because I currently am blogging about Nichiren Buddhism and I want to share a bit about my life, how I grew up and what I went through. My family has my blog address and I'm worried that my mother (whom I have an estranged relationship with) or others in my family will be upset because I'm speaking my truth. I don't want to upset them but I must share my life story so that I can express myself and hopefully heal and be a source of encouragement to others. My mother was very neglectful towards me growing up and I've never really been allowed to talk about the things I've gone through. I feel like even though my mother and I haven't seen one another in over 16 years, she still has me bullied into silence. Just need some advice.
Would you please post your blog URL?

Mark

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:31 pm

I actually deleted recently. Deciding on a new title.

illarraza wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 am
bcol01 wrote:

Mark

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 am

bcol01 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:31 pm
I actually deleted recently. Deciding on a new title.

illarraza wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 am
bcol01 wrote:

Mark
Let me know when you've decided. Good luck with the new blog. Very important that people hear us.

Mark