Would Nichiren Buddhism be a good religion for space?

bcol01

Would Nichiren Buddhism be a good religion for space?

Post by bcol01 »

In other words, if we discovered alien life, etc, how would this affect our view towards our religion and also, out of all other religions, why would Nichiren Buddhism be the best one as we move into space exploration etc?
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Minobu

Re: Would Nichiren Buddhism be a good religion for space?

Post by Minobu »

bcol01 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:45 pm In other words, if we discovered alien life, etc, how would this affect our view towards our religion and also, out of all other religions, why would Nichiren Buddhism be the best one as we move into space exploration etc?
well first up it is not Nichiren's Buddhism , it's the Buddha's .
And i think somewhere in a sutra or something... i read that any given moment there are ten thousand , more or less , worlds such as the one we dwell in, where life like ours goes on. could be 100 thousand...cannot recall.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Very interesting about the line in one of the Sutras about many worlds. I wasn't aware of that!

:twothumbsup:
Minobu wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm
bcol01 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:45 pm In other words, if we discovered alien life, etc, how would this affect our view towards our religion and also, out of all other religions, why would Nichiren Buddhism be the best one as we move into space exploration etc?
well first up it is not Nichiren's Buddhism , it's the Buddha's .
And i think somewhere in a sutra or something... i read that any given moment there are ten thousand , more or less , worlds such as the one we dwell in, where life like ours goes on. could be 100 thousand...cannot recall.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

also what do you think He is talking about when He talks of the great fire..
i think it is about big bangs...
In the Bhagavad Gita "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
i always wondered what that was about...sort of an armageddon thing?

now it is a big bang thing...
for me..my opinion ...not a teaching DGA ...lol..i'm not teaching anyone DGA...lol
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

lol I haven't personally studied Sutras. In fact, I really only have a surface to mid-level understanding of Nichiren Buddhsim's teachings from a summarized sort of viewpoint. The rest of my knowledge you could say has come from personal experience in my own life, seeing the poiwer of NamMyohoRengeKyo. I need to study the Lotus Sutra but I need a translation with a verse by verse commentary.

:reading: :sage:
Minobu wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 pm also what do you think He is talking about when He talks of the great fire..
i think it is about big bangs...
In the Bhagavad Gita "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
i always wondered what that was about...sort of an armageddon thing?

now it is a big bang thing...
for me..my opinion ...not a teaching DGA ...lol..i'm not teaching anyone DGA...lol
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Buddhism is the religion of awakening. Wherever there is ignorance, there is the dispelling of ignorance, and therefore Buddhadharma.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:10 pm Buddhism is the religion of awakening. Wherever there is ignorance, there is the dispelling of ignorance, and therefore Buddhadharma.
very well put...so all the realms..
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Minobu wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:31 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:10 pm Buddhism is the religion of awakening. Wherever there is ignorance, there is the dispelling of ignorance, and therefore Buddhadharma.
very well put...so all the realms..
We'd have to beat the Mormons to it.

Return to “Nichiren”