Nichiren's ability to survive far exceeded other religious and secular figures

illarraza

Nichiren's ability to survive far exceeded other religious and secular figures

Post by illarraza »

There are two types of benefits in chanting Namu Myoho renge kyo, inconspicuous and conspicuous. Referring to inconspicuous benefits, Nichiren teaches:

"Why do you not, if only this once, try planting the wonderful seeds that lead to eternal and unchanging Buddhahood? Though at present you may taste only a tiny fraction of the everlasting joys that await you in the future, surely you should not spend your time thoughtlessly coveting worldly fame and profit, which are as fleeting as a bolt of lightning or the morning dew."

and

"Since childhood, I, Nichiren, have never prayed for the secular things of this life but have single-mindedly sought to become a Buddha."

Since neither Toda nor Ikeda were enlightened, why follow them or their unenlightened organization rather than Shakyamuni Buddha, Nichiren Daishonin, and their organization?

As far as conspicuous benefits, there are testimonials in every religion but here again, we look to Nichiren. Nichiren's ability to survive far surpassed other religious and secular figures such as Jesus, Osama Bin Laden, and Napoleon. He attributed his survival to Namu myoho renge kyo.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Nichiren's ability to survive far exceeded other religious and secular figures

Post by DGA »

illarraza wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pmAs far as conspicuous benefits, there are testimonials in every religion but here again, we look to Nichiren. Nichiren's ability to survive far surpassed other religious and secular figures such as Jesus, Osama Bin Laden, and Napoleon. He attributed his survival to Namu myoho renge kyo.
This might be the most interesting internet forum post of all, ever.

Jesus worked really, really hard at not surviving. The whole narrative hangs on him dying young and on purpose. The answer to the burning question of the late 1990s... "what would Jesus do?"... is answered straightforwardly: Well, in this situation as in any other situation, Jesus would inevitably find a way to get himself tortured and killed. I bring this up because I'm not sure this is the best comparison for someone who uses spiritual means to extend his life and mitigate adverse circumstances.

Did you just compare a Buddhist master to Osama Bin Laden? :coffee:

I don't really get the comparison to Napoleon either. It's true that his meritorious karma ran out and he died (speaking euphemistically)... but would you say he used some kind of Dharma practice to lengthen his life? Dude was a general and a snot. He was asking for the guillotine but in the end an ulcer got him. If he chanted daimoku, do you suppose he could have defeated h. pylori , escaped from his island of exile, and cheated death? That's a rhetorical question.

With all that said, what I'm really interested in is digging into Nichiren's biography. He did seem to thrive in times of adversity, and his lifetime was not short. I think that's remarkable. How did his practice of Dharma correlate to his ability to keep going, in your view?
Yavana

Re: Nichiren's ability to survive far exceeded other religious and secular figures

Post by Yavana »

DGA wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 am Jesus worked really, really hard at not surviving. The whole narrative hangs on him dying young and on purpose.
Same with Nichiren, only the Japanese were too afraid of him to kill him. Even in his exile he fought against the authorities but for the most part, he accepted his exile as his karma for past slander of the Lotus Sutra and its votaries and used the opportunity to teach.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

DGA wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 am
illarraza wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pmAs far as conspicuous benefits, there are testimonials in every religion but here again, we look to Nichiren. Nichiren's ability to survive far surpassed other religious and secular figures such as Jesus, Osama Bin Laden, and Napoleon. He attributed his survival to Namu myoho renge kyo.

Jesus worked really, really hard at not surviving. The whole narrative hangs on him dying young and on purpose. The answer to the burning question of the late 1990s... "what would Jesus do?"... is answered straightforwardly: Well, in this situation as in any other situation, Jesus would inevitably find a way to get himself tortured and killed. I bring this up because I'm not sure this is the best comparison for someone who uses spiritual means to extend his life and mitigate adverse circumstances.

I don't really get the comparison to Napoleon either. It's true that his meritorious karma ran out and he died (speaking euphemistically)... but would you say he used some kind of Dharma practice to lengthen his life? Dude was a general and a snot. He was asking for the guillotine but in the end an ulcer got him. If he chanted daimoku, do you suppose he could have defeated h. pylori , escaped from his island of exile, and cheated death? That's a rhetorical question.

With all that said, what I'm really interested in is digging into Nichiren's biography. He did seem to thrive in times of adversity, and his lifetime was not short. I think that's remarkable. How did his practice of Dharma correlate to his ability to keep going, in your view?
jesus dying on the cross between two thieves is classic Alchemy . the thieves being the right and left channel..something you do not want the energy to flow into.

and His death is an allegory...

the nativity scene is all about the the most high being born in the most low ....the warmth of the breath of the beasts are one and the same as the great work with fire and heat energy. the darkness of the holy night lite by a guiding star...the ultimate alchemical wedding of heaven and earth..as above so below.

Noah too is an allegory of the different rooms and higher abodes one can travel in....the ark with it's many rooms...

most miss the entire point of the greatest story ever told..and the Hebrew unveiling of the Kabbalah ..not unlike The lotus Buddhism with it's transformation of the low into the beautiful Lotus in the muddy swamp...

as for bin laden and napoleon yeah these men who had a great following and a goal that never really made it ...did they...

why look for the chance to ridicule when one can look for a chance to learn.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Minobu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 pm

jesus dying on the cross between two thieves is classic Alchemy . the thieves being the right and left channel..something you do not want the energy to flow into.

the nativity scene is all about the the most high being born in the most low ....the warmth of the breath of the beasts are one and the same as the great work with fire and heat energy. the darkness of the holy night lite by a guiding star...the ultimate alchemical wedding of heaven and earth..as above so below.

Noah too is an allegory of the different rooms and higher abodes one can travel in....the ark with it's many rooms...

most miss the entire point of the greatest story ever told..and the Hebrew unveiling of the Kabbalah ..not unlike The lotus Buddhism with it's transformation of the low into the beautiful Lotus in the muddy swamp...

as for bin laden and napoleon yeah these men who had a great following and a goal that never really made it ...did they...

So Lotus Buddhism is the Kabbala of Buddhism?
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Lotus Buddhism encompasses all that is there in this universe.
i happen to enjoy the Kabbala , no expert, but i see and learn from stuff from It.
hence my
which was directed at this fear and loathing towards other schools of thought.

Nichiren studied everything that was available to Him on the island of Japan at the time.
I see the Kabbala in His encompassing Gohonzon in the 3D way He did...

i see three channels...anyway...that is me...and I'm sure Nichiren as well...
but not everyone sees what i see or in the way i view stuff.

If you practice earnestly and stuff comes knocking at your door....let it in ...examine it....maybe shelve it for later...but don't brush it off ...

we live in a world with so much more to learn from than the island of Japan at the time of Nichiren...

it is important though not to discard the basics...
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Minobu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Lotus Buddhism encompasses all that is there in this universe.
i happen to enjoy the Kabbala , no expert, but i see and learn from stuff from It.
hence my
which was directed at this fear and loathing towards other schools of thought.

Nichiren studied everything that was available to Him on the island of Japan at the time.
I see the Kabbala in His encompassing Gohonzon in the 3D way He did...

i see three channels...anyway...that is me...and I'm sure Nichiren as well...
but not everyone sees what i see or in the way i view stuff.

If you practice earnestly and stuff comes knocking at your door....let it in ...examine it....maybe shelve it for later...but don't brush it off ...

we live in a world with so much more to learn from than the island of Japan at the time of Nichiren...

it is important though not to discard the basics...
RESPECT :cheers:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 pm
RESPECT :cheers:
hey thanks , never got one of those before.
made me morning bright

Return to “Nichiren”