How to overcome family estrangement?

bcol01

How to overcome family estrangement?

Post by bcol01 »

When you've done all you can but to no avail.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
DGA
Former staff member

Re: How to overcome family estrangement?

Post by DGA »

You don't have to overcome it. Maybe you don't need to? It's OK to be estranged from your family if:

*you do not harbor any ill will toward them. Instead, you wish all your family members only the very best.

*you live your life honorably, with integrity. Do your best.

*you don't worry about it. Move on and get on with the task at hand, which is living your life.

It's possible that some members of your family may wish to reconnect with you. That's OK too, and it's up to you if you want to maintain those relationships.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

everything that comes before you from other people is due to your karma.

if someone hurts you it is a manifestation of your karma...you deserve this , for you have acted in said manner before.

when we acquire gazzillions of these acts from our past ...they can be expiated with one serious encounter with another in some hurtful manner.

you rejoice for acting with a grateful acceptance of this karmic fact and having zero revenge unto that person for harming you and with only the complete opposite ..thanking them inside for being there for you ...not out loud lol...but an inner truthful gratitude...comes about with your practice of Lotus Buddhism...
we welcome any discomfort brought upon us by others...we are sort of other worldly you know...this samsara is not our true nature nor the place we want to be forced into living in...so we employ lotus buddhism to end it.

how we react will either end the cycle or retie the knot so to speak.

with time and lots of Lotus Buddhism you will master this...

it isn't easy but expiating karma and learning from it at the same time is our way...

it is the way of a true Bodhisattva ..
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

I know from my own experience that attempting to make things better will more likely exacerbate the existing problem rather than resolve it. After all, neither of you can stop being who you are.

My strategy nowadays is to strengthen my own faith and practice, with the aim that as circumstances evolve I can seize the opportunity to mend things a little when the right moment arises. Of course, I'm thinking about my own family estrangement which may be different to yours.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I don't have much to add to the good advice above.

You might consider this:
Letter to Brothers

Nichiren was writing to two brothers who had become estranged from their father on account of their practice of the Lotus. Nichiren counseled them to remain steadfast on their path. Their father was said to be acting out the influence of Mara, trying to distract them from the practice of Dharma. They were eventually reconciled with their father who also took up the Lotus.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

bcol01 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 am When you've done all you can but to no avail.
By attaining Enlightenment, your family seven generations back and seven generation forward will also obtain Enlightenment. That is how you can alleviate family estrangement.

[Mod note 2023: Topic locked, because it attracted necroing.]

Return to “Nichiren”