Confucianism and feminism in Buddhist organizations

dharmapdx

Re: Confucianism and feminism in Buddhist organizations

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 am
sounds like someone has alot of hang ups about race and class

As a biracial person myself who also attends a Jewish congregation in addition to practicing Buddhism, I have no hangups about race and class. I simply have to share my credentials when I bring up these topics because it ruffles some peoples feathers when they realize how deeply and how far back I actually go in the civil rights battle.

This is me with a man named Arun Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arun_Manilal_Gandhi
Attachments
IMG_8825.JPG
IMG_8825.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Last edited by dharmapdx on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 am

Me as a child with my radical feminist mother and my Chicano activist father. He was the only father I knew so I prefer to refer to him as my father but technically speaking he was my stepfather.
Attachments
IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8826.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 560 times

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

This is me with Chicano civil rights activist Dolores Huerta. She passed on a message to the family of Cesar Chavez for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Huerta
Attachments
IMG_8830.JPG
IMG_8830.JPG (37.57 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Last edited by dharmapdx on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 am

This is my high school graduation class . I'm kind of sort of easy to spot.
Attachments
IMG_8831.JPG
IMG_8831.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 556 times

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 am

This is a picture in tribute to my late mentor and father figure Dr. Kenneth Wapnick. I wasn't able to attend his memorial, so instead I had this picture taken of me in front of the local Sephardic Jewish temple -- as he was a Sephardic Jew. Personally I am currently studying Humanistic Judaism, which I am told has no conflict with Buddhism.
Attachments
IMG_8832.JPG
IMG_8832.JPG (47.38 KiB) Viewed 554 times

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 am

Probably my favorite dance picture ever taken of me. This is the ballet school my radical feminist mother forced me into when I was eight years old, shortly after I returned from Japan.
Attachments
IMG_8833.JPG
IMG_8833.JPG (28.42 KiB) Viewed 550 times

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 am

So I think I need to bow out of this thread. I will close with this thought: all I was attempting to suggest is that Confucianism is not likely to meet up with feminism in Asia. But when Confucianism is brought to the United States it is likely to meet up with feminism. And this may have surprising results particularly for people who are not aware of Confucianism or what it is.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "feminism" in the title of this thread. Maybe I should have used the term that would pertain to the way women organize their social structure. I don't know if there is a term for that but the older I get the more I realize that women establish a hierarchy in a very different way than men do. Maybe some men who are not aware of Confucianism nor the way women socialize and create social hierarchies will be caught off guard when these two dynamics meet up in a Buddhist temple. That's all I was attempting to suggest.

In closing, the picture of me with Arun Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi. And then the picture of Arun Gandhi with the Dalai Lama and Martin Luther King JR III.

✌️ Peace.
Attachments
IMG_8835.JPG
IMG_8835.JPG (46.02 KiB) Viewed 545 times
IMG_8834.JPG
IMG_8834.JPG (149.08 KiB) Viewed 545 times

ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm

markatex wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 am
I got nothing. :shrug:

I’m a gay man, so I’m sure the Confucianists wouldn’t be thrilled with me, and that the MRA people wouldn’t be either, so I’m not exactly sympathetic to their cause, as it were.
I don't think Confucious himself had anything against gay people. The only place gay people and Confucious come up together is when he wrote a eulogy praising a pair of gay lovers who died in battle.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

ItsRaining wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm
markatex wrote:

I’m a gay man, so I’m sure the Confucianists wouldn’t be thrilled with me, and that the MRA people wouldn’t be either, so I’m not exactly sympathetic to their cause, as it were.
I don't think Confucious himself had anything against gay people. The only place gay people and Confucious come up together is when he wrote a eulogy praising a pair of gay lovers who died in battle.
Do you happen to know the source text for this?

Perhaps it is just my own cynicism, but I don't think the whole story is being communicated here.

For instance, there is a difference between praising love between two men and praising their homosexual relationship.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 pm
I think I can safely say, the process of making Buddhist communities more naturally Western is under way.
What does it mean? What does a buddhist community that is naturally western look like?
I don't know. I've seen up close the tension between East Asian organization structures and Americans trying to fit into it and the gradual adjustment as culturally American individuals take leadership positions. What the stasis will look like or or if the structure will be scrapped entirely in favor of the kinds of models you find in mainline Protestant churches, or something else is an open question.

Personally, I like the Quakers' approach. Participatory Action. In contemporary colloquialism, a swarm. I actually think Nichiren had something along those lines in mind for his Sangha - itaidoshin.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 am

dharmapdx wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 am
This is my high school graduation class . I'm kind of sort of easy to spot.
Jefferson High used to be the end of the world. My informants tell me it's becoming an excellent school.

Did you post that photo to wikipedia, by the way? or just a funny coincidence?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson ... n_1994.jpg

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:45 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 pm
I think I can safely say, the process of making Buddhist communities more naturally Western is under way.
What does it mean? What does a buddhist community that is naturally western look like?
I don't know. I've seen up close the tension between East Asian organization structures and Americans trying to fit into it and the gradual adjustment as culturally American individuals take leadership positions. What the stasis will look like or or if the structure will be scrapped entirely in favor of the kinds of models you find in mainline Protestant churches, or something else is an open question.

Personally, I like the Quakers' approach. Participatory Action. In contemporary colloquialism, a swarm. I actually think Nichiren had something along those lines in mind for his Sangha - itaidoshin.
This reminds me: I've heard Monshin Paul Naamon (Tendai Buddhist Institute) say more than once that the Quakers sowed the seeds of Dharma on this continent in the way they organized their communities. I didn't follow up on that because I don't know much about the Quakers and I wasn't curious about it. I bring it up to suggest that your idea has merit and is worth probing.

ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:59 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm
ItsRaining wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm
markatex wrote:

Do you happen to know the source text for this?

Perhaps it is just my own cynicism, but I don't think the whole story is being communicated here.

For instance, there is a difference between praising love between two men and praising their homosexual relationship.
《左传·哀公十一年》
公为与其嬖僮汪锜乘,皆死,皆殡。孔子曰:“能执干戈以卫社稷,可无殇也。”[2]

He doesn't criticise or mention homosexuality anywhere so his actual thoughts on it probably can't be known.

Return to “Nichiren”